‘The Last of Us’ Season 2 Will Have ‘A Lot More Infected,’ Creators Address Complaints About Lack of Action

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
LAst.jpg

For a show about a post-apocalyptic world torn apart by a deadly fungus that creates zombie-like creatures, there weren’t a whole lot of zombies in the final episodes of “The Last of Us.” Series creators Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann have seen the complaints about the infrequent zombie mayhem in the HBO drama series, but fans can rest assured that Season 2 will have “a lot more infected.”

“Ultimately, we generally stressed the power of relationships and trying to find significance within moments of action,” Mazin told reporters during a virtual press conference for “The Last of Us” last week. “And so there may be less action than some people wanted because we couldn’t necessarily find significance for quite a bit of it, or [there was] concern that it would be repetitive. After all, you’re not playing it, you’re watching it. And although a lot of people do like to watch gameplay, it needs to be a little more focused and purposeful when we’re putting it on TV.”

The Season 1 finale featured some shocking moments of violence from Joel (Pedro Pascal), as he and Ellie (Bella Ramsey) arrive at the hospital in Salt Lake City and are captured by Fireflies. Their leader Marlene (Merle Dandridge) explains that it’s possible to synthesize a cordyceps cure from Ellie’s immunity, except it requires fatal brain surgery. Unable to accept the loss of his pseudo-daughter, Joel goes on a massacre, killing every soldier, the doctor about to perform Ellie’s surgery and Marlene. He drives Ellie back to the Jackson settlement and lies to her about what happened. The final shot ends on Ellie — who desperately wanted their perilous journey and tragic losses to mean something — unsure whether or not to believe Joel.

The original “The Last of Us” video game let players shoot, stab, dismember and bludgeon a variety of humans and infected clickers with a host of weapons — including, but not limited, to shotguns, sniper rifles, flamethrowers, baseball bats, bombs and bricks. It was lauded for its long levels filled with intense, visceral gameplay and a deeply emotional plot. “The Last of Us” video game’s story has translated well to the HBO series, but some viewers had been hoping for more than just short bursts of action scenes spread across several episodes.

“Part of the adaptation process is trying to figure out how to take source material that was built around gameplay, and port it over to a medium that is passive,” Mazin said. “A lot of the gameplay is centered on [non-playable characters] that you have to get around, avoid, stealth kill or just confront head on. The NPCs were either raiders, cannibals, FEDRA or the infected. So there’s a lot of fighting. I don’t know what your ultimate kill count is on a typical run of ‘The Last of Us,’ but it’s in the triple digits for sure.”

“It’s much higher than we would want for the show,” Druckmann added. As the co-director and writer of the original “Last of Us” game, he injected a healthy dose of action set pieces and heart-stopping fights with infected clickers to keep gamers constantly engaged. For the TV show, if an action scene “doesn’t move character, and it was only there for spectacle, it was an easy cut for us.”

The show was renewed at the end of January, after only a few episodes had aired, and the ratings for the show — a huge hit for HBO out of the gate — have grown throughout the season. “There is more ‘The Last of Us’ to come,” Mazin teased. “It’s quite possible that there will be a lot more infected later. And perhaps different kinds.”

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Good! Part of the problem with not having the infected be a constant threat throughout the show's runtime is that it takes a bit of impact out of the choice that Joel has to make. You see them trudge through pretty much the entirety of America, and only meet infected a few times - so why is the cure so important? In the game, you literally know WHY it's such a huge deal that Joel (potentially) fucked over the rest of humanity to save his surrogate daughter. In the game, that constant menace of not knowing if the next corner is going to have some runners or a bloater or a group of clickers...and then he goes and chooses to keep her alive instead? Now that's a huge moral dilemma. In the show, it feels like humanity is just kinda recovering slowly and if they're careful, everything will be ok, that moral dilemma is absent. NO.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I felt asleep at the mall episode.
the episode in which Joel is penetrated lacked real tension and it was vey lame.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Ultimately, we generally stressed the power of relationships and trying to find significance within moments of action,” Mazin told reporters during a virtual press conference for “The Last of Us” last week. “And so there may be less action than some people wanted because we couldn’t necessarily find significance for quite a bit of it, or [there was] concern that it would be repetitive. After all, you’re not playing it, you’re watching it. And although a lot of people do like to watch gameplay, it needs to be a little more focused and purposeful when we’re putting it on TV.”

[...]

Part of the adaptation process is trying to figure out how to take source material that was built around gameplay, and port it over to a medium that is passive,” Mazin said. “A lot of the gameplay is centered on [non-playable characters] that you have to get around, avoid, stealth kill or just confront head on. The NPCs were either raiders, cannibals, FEDRA or the infected. So there’s a lot of fighting. I don’t know what your ultimate kill count is on a typical run of ‘The Last of Us,’ but it’s in the triple digits for sure.”

It’s much higher than we would want for the show,” Druckmann added. As the co-director and writer of the original “Last of Us” game, he injected a healthy dose of action set pieces and heart-stopping fights with infected clickers to keep gamers constantly engaged. For the TV show, if an action scene “doesn’t move character, and it was only there for spectacle, it was an easy cut for us.

They stated the obvious and what I and plenty of others have been saying.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Good! Part of the problem with not having the infected be a constant threat throughout the show's runtime is that it takes a bit of impact out of the choice that Joel has to make. You see them trudge through pretty much the entirety of America, and only meet infected a few times - so why is the cure so important? In the game, you literally know WHY it's such a huge deal that Joel (potentially) fucked over the rest of humanity to save his surrogate daughter. In the game, that constant menace of not knowing if the next corner is going to have some runners or a bloater or a group of clickers...and then he goes and chooses to keep her alive instead? Now that's a huge moral dilemma. In the show, it feels like humanity is just kinda recovering slowly and if they're careful, everything will be ok, that moral dilemma is absent. NO.
Yes, I was looking at the beginning of the last episode yesterday. Joel and Ellie don't feel like they are too worried about the infected, not enough for there to be any kind of tension because of them.

This is in part because we have not seen a tense encounter with them since a couple of episodes ago (the swarm that comes out of the ground) , and in many episodes they don't even make their presence felt.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well in the game the infected were just a side events and you fight way more humans than infected.

But I understand the criticism.

BTW I don’t think Joel ever cared about the infected in the game… same for Ellie… in the show they give more focus on infected and how they did start while in the game infected were there just as a side plot… the main plot could works with anything including without infected.

Infected could have been more explored in the game even so it should not affect the experience and plot of it.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Yeah I saw some people on twitter who never played the games, thinking the infected aren’t a big threat and the biggest threat is humans, most are thinking Joel did the right choice.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yeah I saw some people on twitter who never played the games, thinking the infected aren’t a big threat and the biggest threat is humans, most are thinking Joel did the right choice.
Joel did his own right choice.
In the Joel skin I should do the same... sorry that is the reality... in no way you will sacrifice your child for whatever small chance of cure... it is the right choice not to allow it.

You don't kill a human to do experiments in his body to have a small chance to find a hint to a cure for something else.
Take a bit of her blood or a small cut from her meat like a biopse to do experiments is acceptable.
Kill? It will never be... there is a clear line of what is right or wrong and Joel was right even if for selfish reasons.

Like I said I believe you guys are remembering The Last of Us not accuratelly... the humans were the biggest threat in the game not infected... 90% of the game is surviving against humans.

Infected could be anything else... now the humans interectations are what drivers TLOU... infected are just a side excuse.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Joel did his own right choice.
In the Joel skin I should do the same... sorry that is the reality... in no way you will sacrifice your child for whatever small chance of cure... it is the right choice not to allow it.

You don't kill a human to do experiments in his body to have a small chance to find a hint to a cure for something else.
Take a bit of her blood or a small cut from her meat like a biopse to do experiments is acceptable.
Kill? It will never be... there is a clear line of what is right or wrong and Joel was right even if for selfish reasons.

Like I said I believe you guys are remembering The Last of Us not accuratelly... the humans were the biggest threat in the game not infected... 90% of the game is surviving against humans.

Infected could be anything else... now the humans interectations are what drivers TLOU... infected are just a side excuse.
Nah both Marlene and Joel were wrong, they should had asked Ellie. She was the only one who can make a choice.

Everyone is being selfish. Marlene for presenting a possible cure and make the fireflies a heroic group, Joel because he feels alone and broken.

You can tell by episode 7 that Ellie would gladly do it by way less selfish reasons than Marlene and Joel.

The question isn’t about if there is a cure or not, it is about hope and how everyone is losing their humanity.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nah both Marlene and Joel were wrong, they should had asked Ellie. She was the only one who can make a choice.

Everyone is being selfish. Marlene for presenting a possible cure and make the fireflies a heroic group, Joel because he feels alone and broken.

You can tell by episode 7 that Ellie would gladly do it by way less selfish reasons than Marlene and Joel.

The question isn’t about if there is a cure or not, it is about hope and how everyone is losing their humanity.
She was a kid.
I don't know how is the law in US but here in Brasil the parents should make the choice not the kid (unless the kid emancipated).
Like I said I should take the same choice because it is the right one for anybody that is a father (imo should be for these that are not a father too).

You say hope and losing their humanity when killing Ellie is exactly that... losing hope in humanity.
Humanity that kills a kid (well any human) for selfish reasons is not humanity at all.

While being selfish Joel did the right thing to survival of his (step) child... if somebody tries to kill my kid in my front I will kill him no matter what (or at least die trying)... if you are a father and lacks that then you already lose your humanity imo.

Curisous I always put myself in joke skin and I always thought he did the right when I played in 2013.
I confirmed my thoughts in 2019 when my first child born... it just reinforced is magnitudes way that Joel was right.
Joel is selfish, evil, killker, agressive, brutal, etc... and I should become that in his place without thinking twice... I should deal with criticism, law, jail, blame, society, etc after with my concience clean because I did the right thing.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
She was a kid.
I don't know how is the law in US but here in Brasil the parents should make the choice not the kid (unless the kid emancipated).
Like I said I should take the same choice because it is the right one for anybody that is a father (imo should be for these that are not a father too).

You say hope and losing their humanity when killing Ellie is exactly that... losing hope in humanity.
Humanity that kills a kid (well any human) for selfish reasons is not humanity at all.

While being selfish Joel did the right thing to survival of his (step) child... if somebody tries to kill my kid in my front I will kill him no matter what (or at least die trying)... if you are a father and lacks that then you already lose your humanity imo.

Curisous I always put myself in joke skin and I always thought he did the right when I played in 2013.
I confirmed my thoughts in 2019 when my first child born... it just reinforced is magnitudes way that Joel was right.
Joel is selfish, evil, killker, agressive, brutal, etc... and I should become that in his place without thinking twice... I should deal with criticism, law, jail, blame, society, etc after with my concience clean because I did the right thing.
First, to put in context there’s no law in a post apocalyptic world. Second, it is cinema/art so even if the story is very clear, people will have different interpretations and it’s ok. If you can relate to a character it means the story was good.

is it too much pressure to put a big decision on a kid? Absolutely
Would they find a cure? We don’t know
Does the people on that world deserve to be saved?

The ending just raises questions that are more prone to personal interpretations.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Agreed. And it's pretty much implied that Ellie would have sacrificed herself. Knowing Joel from the games, he would have accepted that because it was her decision. He goes on a rampage because he finally found someone worth fighting for, a daughter so to speak, and she was taken away again. His reaction, while brutal, is understandable.

Reactions: Zeroing

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Well in the game the infected were just a side events and you fight way more humans than infected.

But I understand the criticism.

BTW I don’t think Joel ever cared about the infected in the game… same for Ellie… in the show they give more focus on infected and how they did start while in the game infected were there just as a side plot… the main plot could works with anything including without infected.

Infected could have been more explored in the game even so it should not affect the experience and plot of it.
Yes, but the game is not setup by the events of a civil war (however the end situation is similar).

I think their presence and how dangerous they are should be a constant thing you are made to feel.

Also, doesn't Joel or another character say at some point that he prefers to fight humans because they are more predictable?

Reactions: ethomaz

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
She was a kid.

I know people rationalize Joel's decision and in his POV he is absolutely right. But overall he is wrong and he'll always be wrong. His choices and actions are completely understandable and relatable, yes, it doesn't mean he wasn't wrong and that he isn't an asshole for doing what he did.
He had no right on doing what he did, going in a killing spree and robbing Ellie of her choice. Had he not done anything, part II wouldn't have happened.
Every single death in Part II is consequence of Joel's egotistical decision. This is a fact.

D

Deleted member 223

Lmao. This was a conscious decision all throughout. They had internal critical feedback/peer review team for sure after each episode - they all do....and they would have told them that by episode 6 there was something wrong in leaving so many infected sections out of the story and how it was affecting the overall package, story flow, pace, character building backstory etc.... Pretty sure they prioritized other variables overriding the need for correction to make actual good TV.
So they knew, they didn't need any user/public feedback or backlash..... more like, can I get away with it without the audience noticing or bitching? Most are sheep after all - self admitted by trick or treatsters.

They decided to mail it mainly to fit in the budget and the episode cap, and make room for their little political indulgences and political statements to appease a culturally/politically motivated crowd - for (fake praise) or against (social drama and engagement - look at me!).

Fuck em. Sounds like Philly boy, since we talk gaming here.... "we were light on games this year, we promise to be better". TLOU Part 1 was the easiest to adapt. Part 2 is a big mess that will need even more patience and time. Budgets and episode caps don't fit well into those things, and Pascal is a goner.... unless they make the decision to extend his stay beyond the first 2 episodes for star power carry through.... which should tell you all you need to know about confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
TLOU Part 1 was the easiest to adapt. Part 2 is a big mess that will need even more patience and time. Budgets and episode caps don't fit well into those things, and Pascal is a goner....
I can't even see how part 2 can be made to fit one season.

This whole season has 1 time where the infected are effective, this is the clicker in the second episode I believe (and the swarm a bit later). The rest are useless (one for Bill's trap? And the swarm has slapstick humor qualities to it).

They can find excuses about wanting to have the focus on the characters journey, but having at least some tension because of the constant infected presence would have done a great service to the show.

Also, relying entirely on old hospital medical equipment and medicine makes no sense. People would be going back to medicinal plants concoctions to try their best at curing themselves. At least in part.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I can't even see how part 2 can be made to fit one season.

This whole season has 1 time where the infected are effective, this is the clicker in the second episode I believe (and the swarm a bit later). The rest are useless (one for Bill's trap? And the swarm has slapstick humor qualities to it).

They can find excuses about wanting to have the focus on the characters journey, but having at least some tension because of the constant infected presence would have done a great service to the show.

Also, relying entirely on old hospital medical equipment and medicine makes no sense. People would be going back to medicinal plants concoctions to try their best at curing themselves. At least in part.
It'll be two seasons for sure.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Well just finished the last episode. They did a great job.

One thing I would like to see is the events between part 1 and 2