The new handheld Sony has in development can benefit a lot from PSSR

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
i imagine this new handheld will launch in line with PS6 in 2028 since the contracts are already signed and were signed very close to PS6 contracts according to known tech leaker Moore's Law Is Dead who leaked everything about the PS5 Pro, he SPECULATES, that this new handheld will have 1.8 - 2teraflops of GPU power, a literal PS4 handheld, but OBVIOUSLY NOT with Jaguar, but with a more modern AMD CPU, x86 is very scaleable, if you look at the problems developers are having with the Series S, most if not all of them are due to the 10GB of RAM (in which only 8GB are usable for games), so if this new PlayStation handheld comes with 16GB+ of RAM, it won't be an issue for developers to scale down their games to run on it. dropping resolution, texture, shadow quality etc, one very recent example of a scaled down game to run on last gen:

(and keep in mind this is running on a Jaguar CPU with an HDD and with only 8GB of RAM *more like 6GB for games*, so this new handheld would be running on a Zen or ARM CPU, with an SSD and with PSSR implementation)

but we all know this already, so what i was thinking was: how benefitial PSSR will be to this new handheld, if it has a chip built in for upscailling and frame generation, developers can put PS5/PS6 games on this thing at 480p - 560p and let PSSR do the magic and recreate the image pixel by pixel to display a sharp 1080p, on a 7/8 inch display it will look INCREDIBLE

what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Reactions: YeezyDude and Umar
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Sony has been hiring in Japan for different CPU architecture Compatibility, so this new handheld could use ARM and they're making sure all of your PS4 library works
kOhBaMa.png

Reactions: Umar

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I think it's way too early to speculate on the capabilities of PSSR.

On the other hand, we already do know FSR4 is targeting handheld gaming PCs.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
i imagine this new handheld will launch in line with PS6 in 2028 since the contracts are already signed and were signed very close to PS6 contracts according to known tech leaker Moore's Law Is Dead who leaked everything about the PS5 Pro, he SPECULATES, that this new handheld will have 1.8 - 2teraflops of GPU power, a literal PS4 handheld, but OBVIOUSLY NOT with Jaguar, but with a more modern AMD CPU, x86 is very scaleable, if you look at the problems developers are having with the Series S, most if not all of them are due to the 10GB of RAM (in which only 8GB are usable for games), so if this new PlayStation handheld comes with 16GB+ of RAM, it won't be an issue for developers to scale down their games to run on it. dropping resolution, texture, shadow quality etc, one very recent example of a scaled down game to run on last gen:

(and keep in mind this is running on a Jaguar CPU with an HDD and with only 8GB of RAM *more like 6GB for games*, so this new handheld would be running on a Zen or ARM CPU, with an SSD and with PSSR implementation)

but we all know this already, so what i was thinking was: how benefitial PSSR will be to this new handheld, if it has a chip built in for upscailling and frame generation, developers can put PS5/PS6 games on this thing at 480p - 560p and let PSSR do the magic and recreate the image pixel by pixel to display a sharp 1080p, on a 7/8 inch display it will look INCREDIBLE

what do you guys think?
It could have PSSR yes... But I do see it launching before 2028. Also FYI... The PS6 might get delayed until Holiday 2029 as it's at the earliest coming Holiday 2028 but that's not 100 % guaranteed and I guess we won't know for sure until maybe mid-late 2027. Anyway if that upcoming PlayStation handheld is worth it so might I get one once it drops in 2026 or whenever Sony decides it's ready to launch! (y)

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony isn't going to wait until the PS6 to drop a PS handheld that won't share the same architecture with the PS6.

What you're going to see is their handhelds will from now on bisect generations.

I expect we'll get the PS handheld next year or the year after at the latest. Leveraging the PS4 and PS5 libraries.

PS6 comes out in 2028, PSP4 comes out in 2030 or 2031.

This will be a PS5 family product, extending the PS5 family to about a 10 year cycle. PS5 will be sold as an entry level console even after the PS6 launches.

I've been trying to explain to people that generations are going to look really different moving forward. Generations are largely going to have two consoles rather than 1. It doesn't make sense to keep putting out new hardware when costs are so high. As such it makes sense to get the most out of each individual console, with a more premium option to keep in line with PC gaming.

The PS6 will launch for 600-700 dollars in 2028 (again at the earliest).

The PS5 will be as cheap as 250/300 dollars with the PS5 Pro running for 500/550 in 2028.

The PS5 will see its first major price drop in 2026. With the PS5 Digital dropping to 350, the disc version dropping to 400 if it isn't discontinued, and the PS5 Pro dropping to 600.

All of this depends on GTA sales and the drop off from GTA sales.

Reactions: YeezyDude

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
When cross gen dies between PS5 and PS6, we'll see a new handheld that primarily extends the library to PS6 exclusive titles.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Sony isn't going to wait until the PS6 to drop a PS handheld that won't share the same architecture with the PS6.

What you're going to see is their handhelds will from now on bisect generations.

I expect we'll get the PS handheld next year or the year after at the latest. Leveraging the PS4 and PS5 libraries.

This will be a PS5 family product, extending the PS5 family to about a 10 year cycle. PS5 will be sold as an entry level console even after the PS6 launches.

I've been trying to explain to people that generations are going to look really different moving forward. Generations are largely going to have two consoles rather than 1. It doesn't make sense to keep putting out new hardware when costs are so high. As such it makes sense to get the most out of each individual console, with a more premium option to keep in line with PC gaming.

The PS5 will be as cheap as 250/300 dollars with the PS5 Pro running for 500/550 in 2028.

The PS5 will see its first major price drop in 2026. With the PS5 Digital dropping to 350, the disc version dropping to 400 if it isn't discontinued, and the PS5 Pro dropping to 600.

one thing is certain, they need to find a name for these devices and start to build them up from that, it gets confusing for costumers if every new portable has a new name, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation Portal... naming is very important, Wii U failed in part due to the name and confusion for costumers.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
if they name this device PlayStation Portal 2, will people think it's just e remote device? that's part of the problem and why i think PS Portal was a successful mistake, should've saved the tech, name and everything for this new handheld...

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark

Exactly... That's how I could see Sony releasing each PlayStation console/handheld, how they might price them and maybe the eventual price cuts as well. And yes thanks for also mentioning that the PS6 could be delayed until 2029 or later as it coming Holiday 2028 isn't 100 % guaranteed which I think we'll know more about it during mid-late 2027 or early 2028.

But I could see Sony extending this generation so that it doesn't feel like it was very short and didn't really have enough games and it been the worst one so far. But yeah after getting the PS5 Pro so am I good until whenever the PS6 drops and if the upcoming PlayStation handheld is good so is that only kind of hardware I'll buy from Sony until the PS6 is out besides a controller, headset or other kind of accessory Sony drops for the PS5/PS5 Pro.

Anyway I am excited for the upcoming new hardware products from Sony in regards to PlayStation 6 etc. as I'll follow all of the news/rumors about it... But I'll mainly focus on the PS5 Pro until we're in 2027 at least and after playing all of the games I am looking forward to that this generation will offer and until then so will I start seriously thinking about the PlayStation 6, its price and what to buy and what not to buy and a PSP 4 etc. But again yeah I do agree man! (y)

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
i bet they're aiming to release it for $499, with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, out of the box that's all you have for a portable PS4, if you want to expand storage you can use an SD Card or something like that, they need to make it easy to expand storage

the Portal form factor should be used, it's perfect, no detatcheable controllers, if you want to play it docked on a TV, you can use a Dualsense sold separately
image-244-1024x576.png.webp

playstation-portal-hero.png

it would be fantastic if they accomplish it in that form factor with just a thicker "tablet", similar to Lenovo Legion Go in 'thickness'
attachment.php

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
one thing is certain, they need to find a name for these devices and start to build them up from that, it gets confusing for costumers if every new portable has a new name, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation Portal... naming is very important, Wii U failed in part due to the name and confusion for costumers.

Personally I have maybe an out of the mainstream thought on this.

One I'd start calling these the PocketStation as I think that was such a nice spin off name for the PlayStation line that you could keep the name for each generation, though I suppose the abbreviation would get confusing with PS2 and PS3... e.t.c.

Calling it the PSP3 would be confusing to people too.

I think PocketStation has that GameBoy vibe to it.

I would also go with a smaller screen rather than a larger screen.

The Vita had a 5 inch screen and the PSP had a 4.3 inch screen.

The Steam Deck has a 7.4 inch screen. The Switch has a 6.2 inch screen, the switch oled a 7 inch screen, the switch lite a 5.5 inch screen, and the PS Portal has an 8 inch screen.

I think the sweet spot would be a 6 inch screen.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
i bet they're aiming to release it for $499, with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, out of the box that's all you have for a portable PS4, if you want to expand storage you can use an SD Card or something like that, they need to make it easy to expand storage

the Portal form factor should be used, it's perfect, no detatcheable controllers, if you want to play it docked on a TV, you can use a Dualsense sold separately

it would be fantastic if they accomplish it in that form factor with just a thicker "tablet", similar to Lenovo Legion Go in 'thickness'
attachment.php

I dont think the portal form factor works for a portable player. It's way too big. The Portal isn't meant to be played outside, it's meant to be played indoors near a router and MAYBE at a hotel.

I think Sony needs to break the trend of larger devices at least initially and put something out that is smaller and actually handheld.

The reality is that the PS handheld doesn't need to be a dual sense.

Also 256gb is entirely too small. 825 like the PS5 is a requirement.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I dont think the portal form factor works for a portable player. It's way too big. The Portal isn't meant to be played outside, it's meant to be played indoors near a router and MAYBE at a hotel.

I think Sony needs to break the trend of larger devices at least initially and put something out that is smaller and actually handheld.

The reality is that the PS handheld doesn't need to be a dual sense.

Also 256gb is entirely too small. 825 like the PS5 is a requirement.
but how do you possibly think they'll be able to acomodate a PS4 in a smaller form factor? this is not a Vita or a PSP, it's a console shrunk to run on a portable form factor with a different CPU architecture

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
but how do you possibly think they'll be able to acomodate a PS4 in a smaller form factor? this is not a Vita or a PSP, it's a console shrunk to run on a portable form factor with a different CPU architecture

it only runs PS4 games, the launch lineup won't have PS5 titles the leaker said

It's not literally a PS4 or PS5 in a smaller form factor, it shares similar architecture so it can play the same games.

Re-watch what MLID said.

The leak was that it would play PS4 games natively and PS5 games scaled down via patching.

It would be more powerful than a PS4. You add PSSR, smaller screen, smaller need for resolution, and yes, you can accomplish that.

Take a look at the Series S. It largely does its job, but the problem is that its goal is 1080p rather than 720p. It's problem is that it has no AI upscaling.

If your goal is to output PS5 games at 720p or 1080p and you use AI upscaling to get there, you can probably upscale for as low as 480p and 720p respectively.

A natively rendered PS5 game at 480p does not need as much horsepower as a PS5. The smaller the screen size the less the resolution matters.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark

attachment.php
Well whatever it's going to look like so do I just hope it'll be good... I don't want it to be bad and if it's worth it so won't mind it been kind of expensive as long as it's very promising and can be used everywhere.

I wonder if Sony will ever make a PlayStation laptop though as they've at least in a way already made a PlayStation handheld/tablet... But something more powerful than a handheld/tablet would be very nice! (y)

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes.

The idea of Switch 2 seems to be somewhat PS4 level horsepower hardware + DLSS.

A Sony portable hacing somewhat Steamdeck level horsepower hardware + modern AMD architecture + DLSS could mean they could get maybe something like a portable "1080p PS5, upscaled to 4K in the tv" (or maybe even better looking than a base PS5 if lucky).

Pretty likely would be more expensive than a Steamdeck, but would do the job.