The origin of The Last of Us Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Seen people still confused why this remake was made, and by who.

It wasn’t a Naughty Dog project. It was Michael Mumbauer’s game at PS Visual Arts.

He hoped to create his own studio at Sony. Mumbauer didn't want to just keep doing support work, he had his own ideas and ambitions. He started with an idea to make animated TV shows about PlayStation games using the game engines and the same characters. Create animated shows about PlayStation IPs and have it all look the same as the games. Issue was its not a proven idea, too risky. Didn't get the green light.

He had built up a new bigger team in San Diego. Visual Arts were also working on Amy Hennig's Star Wars game, but then that game got cancelled by EA, so he had to pivot the team to keep them working and not lose people. The pivot was to do remakes. Shawn Layden, head of WWS, was interested in remakes. So Mumbauer pitched a remake. This was green lit. They began work on TLOU Part 1, while also working on Part 2, around 2018.

First info on this came from an interview he did with David Jaffe, in December 2020.

https://youtu.be/jgq_rhZwDh

Jaffe - "So you guys were doing a remake?"

Mumbauer - "I... can't really say that, but I'm just telling you that's what I was chasing. I can't necessarily tell you that's... what I can tell you is that.. that team certainly worked The Last of Us Part II, they're credited on that right? You saw that. So the thing is, what I can tell you is that's what I was chasing because I believe that there was value in doing something like a remake of God of War at the visual fidelity of today, or like a remake of Uncharted 1 at the visual fidelity of today."

Obviously more info later came from Schreier’s article at Bloomberg that first revealed the game. Go read that.

Quick info on Michael Mumbauer
  • had worked in film vfx at Sony Pictures Imageworks
  • worked on films like Beowulf, I Am Legend, Polar Express, etc
  • head of PlayStation’s Visual Arts team, 2007 - 2020
  • began on Uncharted 2, Resistance 2, etc.. onward
  • worked on most big 1st party games (Uncharted, God of War, TLOU, etc)
  • worked on some 3rd party games (Titanfall, Jedi Fallen Order, RE8, etc)
His team at PlayStation Visual Arts
  • 200+ dev team at peak, working in San Diego
  • called "the ILM of the games industry"
  • does art, animation, mo-cap, character models, cinematics, etc
  • primarily a support studio, under the SIE PD support umbrella
example: The Last of Us Part II
  • Visual Arts took some workloads off of the Naughty Dog devs
  • co-development, heavily intertwined with Naughty Dog
  • character models, animation, rigging, facial capture, cinematics, mo-cap, coding
  • animators & artists at both ND & VA worked on same stuff, collaboration
  • Visual Arts did a lot of work on this game, over 100 devs helped

And here’s him today adding some new info on the game.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

I really dont understand peoples obsession with this game. Sony isn’t forcing people to buy the game to keep their PS5’s, if you don’t want the game or don’t feel its worth the price don’t buy it or wait till its discounted or on ps plus. Why is this dude so caught up on one game, if you feel like the remaster is sufficient go play it, its free on ps plus. You have multiple options.

I’ve never seen people this irate over the dozen of Wii U ports being sold for 60 dollars

I almost feel like some people are frustrated because they suffer from SEVERE FOMO and know they are gonna break down and buy it because they know they’re gonna be missing out on a good gaming experience while other people are enjoying it. Or if they don’t buy it they will sit there and stew and become even more bitter when it sells great

Last edited:
Reactions: nominedomine
OP
OP
kyliethicc

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022

I really dont understand peoples obsession with this game. Sony isn’t forcing people to buy the game to keep their PS5’s, if you don’t want the game or don’t feel its worth the price don’t buy it or wait till its discounted or on ps plus. Why is this dude so caught up on one game, if you feel like the remaster is sufficient go play it, its free on ps plus. You have multiple options.

I’ve never seen people this irate over the dozen of Wii U ports being sold for 60 dollars

I almost feel like some people are frustrated because they suffer from SEVERE FOMO and know they are gonna break down and buy it because they know they’re gonna be missing out on a good gaming experience while other people are enjoying it. Or if they don’t buy it they will sit there and stew and become even more bitter when it sells great

He works for Xbox. Of course he‘s concern trolling.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah, two studios were formed from the last of us part 1 debacle, ‘that’s no moon’ and this other studio he’s part of

Theap99

Banned
21 Jun 2022
My main issue is that Druckmann & Co have made claims of improved gameplay and whatnot and they have yet to show that outside of visuals.. all while the game is lacking in the original multiplayer & is $70.

If it's going to be $10 more than the original was, and nothing changes outside of the visuals.. I think there should be uproar. And I say this as someone who's looking forward to it and loved the idea of it in my mind years ago:

Reactions: ChorizoPicozo

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I am just aware of the drama of being a cash grab. (Which technically is).

I had the impression the Visual Arts team was a support team for First party and this "secret studio" is working on a new Uncharted. (I don't remember if I heard this from Colin).

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
My main issue is that Druckmann & Co have made claims of improved gameplay and whatnot and they have yet to show that outside of visuals.. all while the game is lacking in the original multiplayer & is $70.

If it's going to be $10 more than the original was, and nothing changes outside of the visuals.. I think there should be uproar. And I say this as someone who's looking forward to it and loved the idea of it in my mind years ago:

The uproar should be just not buying it

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
What i also find funny is i bet if rockstar said they were gonna remake RDR or GTAIV with GTA5’s graphics/engine people would be so quick to pay 70 dollars for it.

How many people ran out to buy those absolute shitty mobile game engine ports of the trilogy remake? Its so bizarre

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Uproar for the pricing of a game is stupid. Just don’t buy the game. People are happily paying $60 for Tropical Freeze with barely any improvements to the game.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
It's going to be wonderful playing this and part 2 on PC in ultrawide. They're already incredibly immersive games I can't even imagine what that aspect ratio is going to add to the experience.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I hated the idea of it but after I saw it I was sort of convinced. That Tess comparison gif shows just how much of a massive leap TLoU2 was in terms of visuals, just by bringing Part I to the same ballpark it makes the original Tess look like a Disney/anime character in comparison.

Now the experience of playing both parts back to back is going to be a lot more consistent and that's great for a series that a lot of new people will get to play.

I loved how people made the comparison to footage that wasn't even running in real time for the first game, it shows how well made ND games are, people can't even tell what's pre-rendered from what isn't.

TLoU haters are a different breed these days, they just can't move on. They think saying it looks like TLoU Part 2 is an insult when very few games have come close to that level detail even on current gen (those that have are mostly Sony games as well :ROFLMAO:).

The uproar should be just not buying it
Even those who are mad will still buy it down the line if it's well made.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
As some said before and was confirmed, the game is fully remade from scratch on the new engine.

That's a bunch of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.