The Verge: Valve confirms it'll support the ROG Ally with its Steam Deck operating system

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Valve's true plans starting to come together.

If I were Microsoft, I'd start making plans for the next Xbox are damn good and involve Windows in some major capacity. A big chunk of Window's continued market share is due to PC gamers.

So to say, if a large segment of those PC gamers switch to SteamOS and supporting devices for their gaming fix, there goes a substantial chunk of Windows market share potentially out the window (no pun intended). Or at least a large swath of people who won't use Windows as their main OS in the PC space (I already know among OSes in general iOS and Android had long surpassed Windows in market share).

I'm interested to see how this all works out for Valve; imagining it'll go pretty well at least in most ways. The pressure's actually on Microsoft to see if they can make Windows a more overtly friendly gaming UI/package, or to open up Xbox OS to natively support more Windows applications (though the latter would bring major changes to their business model, something MS are probably more than fine with considering the dismal sales Xbox Series currently have).

Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

If I were Microsoft, I'd start making plans for the next Xbox are damn good and involve Windows in some major capacity. A big chunk of Window's continued market share is due to PC gamers.

So to say, if a large segment of those PC gamers switch to SteamOS and supporting devices for their gaming fix, there goes a substantial chunk of Windows market share potentially out the window (no pun intended). Or at least a large swath of people who won't use Windows as their main OS in the PC space (I already know among OSes in general iOS and Android had long surpassed Windows in market share).

I'm interested to see how this all works out for Valve; imagining it'll go pretty well at least in most ways. The pressure's actually on Microsoft to see if they can make Windows a more overtly friendly gaming UI/package, or to open up Xbox OS to natively support more Windows applications (though the latter would bring major changes to their business model, something MS are probably more than fine with considering the dismal sales Xbox Series currently have).
I can see these plans but I think there are mistakes about them.

- We are talking about niche devices like putting SteamOS is like 1m max in way over 150 millions PC gaming (that talking only about Steam).
- SteamOS doesn't change the state quo of Windows because it is don't build a gaming development for Linux at all... it is basically Valve telling you that they accepted gaming is Windows focused only and so we will give you the chance to play Windows games in Linux via translation/emulation.

My second point is really important because it basically chances anything in the market... Windows continue being the game OS and Valve is supporting Windows Games to play in Linux and not supporting games on Linux.

Seems like the same but for a industry shift what Valve is doing is basically useless.

Valve is telling everybody in the industry "continue supporting Windows as gaming platform".

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Slowly but surely Valve will kill if not significantly harm MS & Sony/PS market share in the operating space & gaming storefront/gaming hardware & it’s been solely on MS & Sony both bolstering the Steam platform/storefront by releasing there games on that platform/storefront.

Not sure why MS release there game on Steam knowing just how big of a threat Valve is. It would make sense for MS to revamp the MS window storefront & fold the Xbox storefront to a windows storefront folding everything MS gaming/MS PC under windows. Should’ve folded battlenet onto windows made existing games to make 1 big windows storefront/ecosystem. I’d say at this point valve is a bigger threat to MS & Sony/PS then Nintendo, Apple, Android or Meta

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Slowly but surely Valve will kill if not significantly harm MS & Sony/PS market share in the operating space & gaming storefront/gaming hardware & it’s been solely on MS & Sony both bolstering the Steam platform/storefront by releasing there games on that platform/storefront.

Not sure why MS release there game on Steam knowing just how big of a threat Valve is. It would make sense for MS to revamp the MS window storefront & fold the Xbox storefront to a windows storefront folding everything MS gaming/MS PC under windows. Should’ve folded battlenet onto windows made existing games to make 1 big windows storefront/ecosystem. I’d say at this point valve is a bigger threat to MS & Sony/PS then Nintendo, Apple, Android or Meta
This hurts Microsoft not Sony, Sony has a closed platform with the PlayStation and certainly wont allow other operating systems or storefronts on their platform. Steam OS on PC handhelds only hurts Microsoft, let's not bring Sony and Nintendo into this, it does not effect them at all.

Reactions: Johnic

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Unless they started making serious money out of the Steam Deck (which I doubt), I guess this was Valve's endgame all along: to get PC OEMs to sell handhelds running an OS that locks all their videogame sales to their distribution platform.

They had tried this before with the Steam Machines and failed, but time it's coming together.

MS' "handheld" rumored console in more problems with this. Good luck to them, I guess.
They've had almost a decade to make a decent handheld-focused front-end for Windows PCs and they failed. This is 100% on them.

Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Haha, you must really hate Xbox fans if you want them to have to deal with console windows and the modern MS interface.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Valve once imagined that every PC maker could have their own "Steam Machine," a PC game console running the company's Linux-based SteamOS. It took a decade for that dream to evolve into the company's own internally developed Steam Deck gaming handheld, but the original dream isn't dead.
The company's long said it plans to let other companies use SteamOS, too — and that means explicitly supporting the rival Asus ROG Ally gaming handheld, Valve designer Lawrence Yang now confirms to The Verge.
A few days ago, some spotted an intriguing line in Valve's latest SteamOS release notes: “Added support for extra ROG Ally keys.” We didn't know Valve was supporting any ROG Ally keys at all, let alone extras!

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, this was the idea of making their own Linux version.

First to don't depend on Microsoft even for the OS and second to allow other PC manufacturers to include their OS -and more importantly their store- on their devices.

I don't know if it's the case, but I assume that by default Steam OS only includes Valve's store and if you want to add other stores, cloud gaming or remote play stuff you have to install yourself there. Which gives them preference and an advantage on such devices.

It would be nice if when installing it/turning it on for the first time it would ask you if you want to install different apps of the main different game stores/launchers/cloud gaming clients/remote play clients/emulator frontends/etc. in order to install there easily and quickly stuff like Nvidia Now, Gamepass, Epic Store, GoG, Amazon Prime Gaming, Amazon Luna, the PS Remote Play and PS cloud gaming apps, Retroarch, Big Box, some top Android emulator, etc. But I assume many of them aren't Linux friendly.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If steamOS becomes standard for all game releases, games will run on Linux and people won't need to buy Windows keys for their new PC builds. Windows still relevant for content creators though.

• thisistheway
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

remember: this is the storefront and company Sony is constantly fortifying with tentpole releases
Genuinely looking forward to the day when things blow up in Sonys face
Yep, imagine once anti-cheats stop having issues with Linux, it's game over for Windows PC gaming. Windows will obviously still dominate the work PC space, but not gaming.

All future gaming handhelds and even some pre-built PCs will come pre-installed with SteamOS. Games are already starting to run better on Linux vs Windows and because Linux is free, manufacturers will save hundreds of millions of dollars on buying OEM Windows licenses. And we all know how hard PC fanboys shill for Steam, they'll switch over the second the anti-cheat issue is solved. Not to mention that Windows 11 is awful and gets worse and worse with each update, while SteamOS gets better and better 👀 The stars are aligning perfectly for Valve to have the dominant OS for PC gaming.

Meanwhile, Sony is starting to put their games day and date on Steam and is subsidizing and growing the PCVR market by making PSVR2 compatible with PC 😂 Idiots! The best tech companies like Apple and Nvidia plan decades in advance, while Sony is only worried about looking good for the next quarter.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
This hurts Microsoft not Sony, Sony has a closed platform with the PlayStation and certainly wont allow other operating systems or storefronts on their platform. Steam OS on PC handhelds only hurts Microsoft, let's not bring Sony and Nintendo into this, it does not effect them at all.
Sony has a closed platform but there software is available on direct competitors platform/storefront. And don’t worry about Nintendo, there platform & storefront is completely locked w the only exception for live service mobile game which those itself are mainly spin offs & don’t give the true console experience of there ten pole. Mario kart mobile is a gacha & I even think it has pay to win elements with upgradable & other games like Fire emblem mobile or Pikmin bloom are gatcha type spin offs. If Nintendo ever expands to PC it will be w there own storefront like Riot & unlike PS or Xbox who release ten pole games on Steam & even in that cause where Nintendo expands to PC it will likely be limited to live service mobile games getting a PC port under & exclusively on a Nintendo launcher

Netflix, Disney, Nintendo, Apple don’t thrive through hardware sure in some cases it benefits but it’s the software that’s solely under 1 closed platform ie App Store exclusive to Apple, Nintendo games exclusive to Nintendo hardware/storefront, Disney content exclusive to the storefront (Disney+) Netflix exclusive content only on Netflix. All to say Nintendo is safe since they have true permanent exclusive games on there hardware/storefront unlike Xbox or PS.

You can have an open platform like android & steam/Steamdeck it’s the exclusive content that drives that platform/storefront against other.

In theory a more open Xbox that’s more open like PC wouldn’t be bad but with its games/software available on Steam, PS, Nintendo etc it means nothing & in the long run people won’t invest in your platform. People love exclusive & when they invest money & time in a platform they want to know that that platform has true permanent exclusive content only on that platform. If I could watch Star Wars on Netflix I wouldn’t subscribe to Disney+ even if I had to wait 1-2 years your content is not exclusive so I can pay a cheaper subscription & just wait while no longer paying for your subscription because you platform/storefront no longer has true permanent exclusive.

It’s why people on PC don’t interact w epic storefront because they know those games aren’t permanently exclusive there’s no need to interact with the epic storefront & people will simply wait. But if epic storefront had permanent exclusive people who prefer Steam would have no choice there wouldn’t be a conversation where people would say “I’ll wait” or “I’ll play on my preferred platform/storefront” Nintendo, Disney+ & Netflix don’t give consumers that possibility which is why there at the top of there respective market.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer