The way P3R is advertised with the Xbox focus is idiotic

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Nobody is going to buy an Xbox or sub to gamepass just for Persona, they are not even allowed to post this on the PlayStation channel. Most people who play persona are PlayStation fans, if they don't know the game exists it will just flop hard.

What was Sega thinking with this stupid marketing deal?

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, not advertising to the fans on their preferred platform is absolutely stupid.

Sega is trying to appeal to a new group of audience, but they aren't realizing that Xbox players are not Persona's audience. If they were, they would have purchased PlayStation by now and played one of the 5 Persona games.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Yeah, not advertising to the fans on their preferred platform is absolutely stupid.

Sega is trying to appeal to a new group of audience, but they aren't realizing that Xbox players are not Persona's audience. If they were, they would have purchased PlayStation by now and played one of the 5 Persona games.
i think less than half the people who tried on gamepass even got Arsene in PS5R per achievement data. Sad as thats not even that long into it. Money talks but ultimately i think it damages the perceived quality of the games moving forward and ultimately sales

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sega's run by idiots. They've been chasing that M$ money since the beginning of this gen - they don't care how it makes them look, as long as they get that paycheck
What is funny is that they chose MS as a partner once it was obvious PlayStation had all the momentum.

Sega bet is that Gamepass money doesn't come at the cost of sales on PlayStation, I think they are mistaken.

As a thought experiment, lets imagine if MS had FFVII Remake/Rebirth marketing and the game released day one on Gamepass and piratable on PC as well... the game wouldn't have half it sales.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If I was a publisher/studio and a very desperate MS came knocking at my door, wanting to have some type of deal, any deal, then I would also relieve them of their money, give them a nice little pat on their head, and cash in.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They went from bashing Japanese games and mocking anyone who plays them for the past 2 gens to hoping that MS buys up every major Japanese publisher.
Not because they want to play those games but because they want a "win" over PlayStation players (we know they don't play them even when they become availiable on the subscription they already paid for),

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
2 reasons why this deal actually makes sense:

- Sega's biggest growth vector for Atlus fare is likely PC, this doesn't compromise that, and if new people in the Xbox userbase find Persona that would be icing on the cake.

- Sometimes you have to make these sort of deals to create the perception that you are not beholden to one platform. If they don't make deals with Nintendo or Microsoft, then Sony will start demanding that Sega make more concessions to them.

24 Jun 2022
What is funny is that they chose MS as a partner once it was obvious PlayStation.

Sega bet is that Gamepass money doesn't come at the cost of sales on PlayStation, I think they are mistaken.

As a thought experiment, lets imagine if MS had FFVII Remake/Rebirth marketing and the game released day one on Gamepass and piratable on PC as well... the game wouldn't have half it sales.

Yeah P3R sales in the West are going to be at best very flat and at worst really bad. How many PlayStation owners besides hardcore Persona fans (some of whom many not even be interested in a remake of an older/non-P5 entry?) even know the game is releasing on the platform?

None of the marketing has mentioned PlayStation whatsoever. Sega/Atlus aren't building an organic audience for the brand on Xbox; they're just making themselves dependents to Microsoft's money. At any point MS can decide they don't need the deal or will negotiate for a lower rate. When Sega & Atlus are then forced to actually try selling Xbox owners new Persona (or Yakuza, for that matter) games for B2P sales, that's when they'll realize how little inroads they made on the platform.

Because these Day 1 Game Pass deals aren't creating authentic customer bases organically.

Yeona

29 Jul 2023
I don't think SEGA genuinely believes they are going to capture a new audience on Xbox. They are definitely not stupid, they have decades of data to pull from, including prior releases they've made this gen.

SEGA takes the PS audience for granted is more the thing. There is very little need for them to market on PlayStation. Persona has a very dedicated audience already, and given that it's a relatively niche genre, it's not an audience you need to sell to -- they generally already know whether they want to buy it or not.

To them, marketing excessively to an audience that is either already convinced they'll buy your game, or already convinced they don't care, is not worth as much as the bag of gold Microsoft is throwing at them. SEGA also doesn't give a fuck about Persona, ATLUS, or anyone else. They care about them less than INDEX Corporation did.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
I don't think SEGA genuinely believes they are going to capture a new audience on Xbox. They are definitely not stupid, they have decades of data to pull from, including prior releases they've made this gen.

SEGA takes the PS audience for granted is more the thing. There is very little need for them to market on PlayStation. Persona has a very dedicated audience already, and given that it's a relatively niche genre, it's not an audience you need to sell to -- they generally already know whether they want to buy it or not.

To them, marketing excessively to an audience that is either already convinced they'll buy your game, or already convinced they don't care, is not worth as much as the bag of gold Microsoft is throwing at them. SEGA also doesn't give a fuck about Persona, ATLUS, or anyone else. They care about them less than INDEX Corporation did.
You don't think they are afraid of a backlash?

I think PlayStation Atlus fans might feel slighted.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Nobody is going to buy an Xbox or sub to gamepass just for Persona, they are not even allowed to post this on the PlayStation channel. Most people who play persona are PlayStation fans, if they don't know the game exists it will just flop hard.

What was Sega thinking with this stupid marketing deal?
Good. Let it flop so gran blue fantasy can thrive. They probably signed this deal at the beginning of the generation when xbox could still have benefit of the doubt theyd do ok.