This year PlayStation has a chance to break new ground at TGA 2024

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
This year PlayStation has a chance to break new ground at TGA 2024

So this year the two highest rated new game releases so far are Astrobot and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. (The Elden Ring Expansion is the highest rated release this year but I don't think that will even be eligible for a GOTY Contender spot.)

So both of these games are in a really hard spot for winning game of the year believe it or not when looking at past GOTY winners.

Remakes like FF7 rebirth generally don't win much at all at TGA, RE2 remake won 0 awards half a decade ago and RE4 Remake once again won 0 awards last year. The only time remakes did really well was at TGA 2020 where FF7 Remake won 2 awards and Tony Hawk pro skater 1+2 remake won best sports game.

If Final Fantasy VII Rebirth wins Game of the Year at this years TGA it will be the first remake (Sort of) to do it. No Resident Evil remake pulled this off and this is only a third of an FF7 Remake. (Sort of)

Now with Astrobot, once again looking at history with the closest first party platformer to get a scores this high, The Super Mario 3D Games, none of them ever won at TGA even when it was originally hosted by Spike. Super Mario Galaxy lost to BioShock in 2007.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 lost to Red Dead Redemption.
Super Mario 3D World lost to The Last of Us
and Super Mario Odyssey lost to The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild.

I will note It Takes Two did win in 2021 and is a platformer game but is a co-op only platformer tho so it had some uniqueness to it!

Now 2024 arguably as of yet doesn't have anything that big besides Final Fantasy VII Rebirth but again that is a remake and looking at precedent doesn't do well in the over all game of the year category. So unless if Zelda Echoes of Time comes out swinging and scores higher than these two games and takes the GOTY but that too would be unprecedented seeing as it is a 2D Zelda game.
As we saw with Forza Horizon 5 in 2021, some genres just don't stand well in the GOTY talk overall and Astrobot being just a 3D platformer (an amazing one tho looking from the reviews.) does hurt its overall chances I feel If it comes down to Final Fantasy VII or another break out before the cut off.

So will A PS5 exclusive (weather it be timed or not) break new grounds at The Game Awards 2024 or is there a chance the 2D Zelda Echoes of Time pulls it off.
Poor Xbox with Indiana Jones missing the cut off. Probably the only chance they had since Forza Horizon 5 to win a GOTY this generation

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I really hope so, Japan will always be the real home of PlayStation and deserves to be treated as such.
If Zelda hits a 92 or higher later this month that means the top 3 highest reviewed games of 2024 came from Japam

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
O think they should remove all the DLC/expansions, remasters, remakes, refurbished games from the GOTY list because GOTY award is supposed to be new games -not DLCs-.

I think they should do something like this:

GOTY award:
  1. Astro Bot (winner)
  2. Tekken 8
  3. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
  4. Helldivers 2
  5. Zelda Echoes of Wisdom (Nintendo quota)
  6. Animal Well or Balatro (indie quota)
Best ongoing game (a.k.a. best DLC/expansion) award:
  1. Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree (winner)
  2. Destiny 2: The Final Shape
  3. No Man's Sky
  4. Diablo IV: Vessel of Hatred (MS quota)
  5. WoW: War Within (MS quota)
Best remake/remaster award:
  1. FFVII Rebirth (winner)
  2. Paper Mario The Thousand Doors
  3. Persona 3 Reload
  4. TLOU2 Remastered
  5. Castlevania Dominus Collection
  6. Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance

Last edited:

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
O think they should remove all the DLC/expansions, remasters, remakes, refurbished games from the GOTY list because GOTY award is supposed to be new games -not DLCs-.

GOTY award:
  1. Astro Bot (winner)
  2. Tekken 8
  4. Helldivers 2
  3. No Man's Sky
  3. Persona 3 Reload
  4. TLOU2 Remastered
FF7 Rebirth will definitely be a GOTY nominee.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

GOTY award:
  1. Astro Bot (winner)
  2. Tekken 8
  4. Helldivers 2
  3. No Man's Sky
  3. Persona 3 Reload
  4. TLOU2 Remastered
A remaster category would be cool but 'm not too sure about leaving remakes out of the overall goty discussion.
Twilight Princess was a GOTY contender and it almost feels like a reimaging of OOT.
StarFox 64 was a retelling of Starfox SNES ands I think StarFox 64 was a GOTY contender for 1997.
If we try to not include remakes as GOTY contenders why not just remove sequels as well since the GOTY awards seems to favor newer ideas going off the past two years (GOW Ragnorok losing to Elden Ring and TOTK losing to Bauldur's Gate 3.)

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024

GOTY award:
  1. Astro Bot (winner)
  2. Tekken 8
  4. Helldivers 2
  3. No Man's Sky
  3. Persona 3 Reload
  4. TLOU2 Remastered

I like this but I have a few alterations -

1. No remasters at all. They're just a visual upgrade and shouldn't be nominated for anything because they already had their time the first time.
2. Remakes need to be remakes like Dead Space, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, etc.
3. Expansions should have it's own category. 2024 should include Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree, Starfield: Shattered Space, Destiny 2: The Final Shape, Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail, Diablo IV: The Vessel of Hatred and World of Warcraft: War Within.
4. Best ongoing game should have it's own category. But it needs to include new games as opposed to the same games every year especially when there's bigger games that for whatever reason get excluded.
5. Most of all, the nominees need to be in the category where they belong. In other words, legitimate. Cyberpunk 2077 is NOT an ongoing game and NO, patches to fix the game does not count. SMH.

Otherwise, I agree.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Right now Astro Bot is odds on favorite to win GOTY. The only thing really standing in its way would be Zelda.

While FF7 Rebirth was highly praised by reviewers and gamers, it has a lot of points against it.

• Some technical/performance issues
  • It's a sequel in a trilogy, so it's not even a complete game
  • It's a remake
  • It came out much earlier in the year and all the buzz is now around Astro Bot
  • Journalists will want to push AB, so that we see more investment in this type of game
  • AB has a higher metacritic grade AND a much higher user review grade (6 points)
  • AB might outsell FF7 Rebirth despite being less of a high budget game

It's also crazy that Sony announced this game only 4 months ago and could win GOTY.

I would be stunned if FF7 Rebirth beat out Astro Bot and I doubt that Square Enix not contributing to Astro Bot does them any favors when people decide which game they're going to vote for.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Luffy123

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

GOTY award:
  1. Astro Bot (winner)
  2. Tekken 8
  4. Helldivers 2
  3. No Man's Sky
  3. Persona 3 Reload
  4. TLOU2 Remastered
tekken ain't gona be on it, ff7 rebirth will absolutely be on the stage for the main goty

Reactions: Lersds

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Astrobot (winner)
FF7 Rebirth
Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom
Indiana Jones
Black Myth Wukong - makes it in so Geoff gets the Chinese audience watching

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
tekken ain't gona be on it, ff7 rebirth will absolutely be on the stage for the main goty
I know, genres like fighting games normally aren't in GOTY lists, but Tekken 8 is one of the top rated games of the year by the press, who in theory is who mainly votes in these awards.

This is great. I suggest everybody watch this Harada's Bar episode where Harada interviews Kutaragi:

MiyazakiLovesKojima

I know, genres like fighting games normally aren't in GOTY lists, but Tekken 8 is one of the top rated games of the year by the press, who in theory is who mainly votes in these awards.

This is great. I suggest everybody watch this Harada's Bar episode where Harada interviews Kutaragi:
Wonderful video from Harada's Bar; exceptional interview 🙌

Reactions: Yurinka

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

“No, no, we don't wait, we do it! You do it too! Most things at the level of human expectation can be achieved", He said powerfully.
Oh, I realized that this is a man who is always excited to overtake the future, instead of thinking about the time he has left.He's like a powerful Heihachi, I call him “Heihachi from the science background not evil

Great quote from the tweet

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Astrobot (winner)
FF7 Rebirth
Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom
Indiana Jones
Black Myth Wukong - makes it in so Geoff gets the Chinese audience watching
Indiana Jones doesn't come out until December 6th so It won't be eligible for anything besides the fan awards.
I think the top 6 this year will most likely be:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Astrobot
Zelda Echoes of Wisdom
Dragon's Dogma 2
Tekken 8
Black Myth: Wukong or Lika a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (I can see it go either way)

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Indiana Jones doesn't come out until December 6th so It won't be eligible for anything besides the fan awards.
I think the top 6 this year will most likely be:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Astrobot
Zelda Echoes of Wisdom
Dragon's Dogma 2
Tekken 8
Black Myth: Wukong or Lika a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (I can see it go either way)
no way DD2 is there, there is much better games.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
no way DD2 is there, there is much better games.
My reasoning of why it might show up is because It is a pretty major release with a 86 on metcritic. Paper Mario TTYD and Persona 3 got higher scores but I think TGA will most likely want to keep only one remake in the overall GOTY category. Something like animal well or Metaphor: ReFantazio could take its spot especially because of the controversies DD2 had at launch so its a hard call to make. Capcom has been pretty good at making it on the overall GOTY category since 2018.