Todd Howard on Overpriced Starfield Mods Backlash: "We take all the feedback"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
garfield-mod.png

Source

While this latest backlash revolves around The Vulture mission, Bethesda has faced criticism over paid mods before. Indeed it’s the studio’s continued effort to enable paid mods for its games that has rubbed some players up the wrong way.

“We hear that feedback, too,”

Howard said. “

First of all I’ll say that stuff gets priced based on things that we've done before both in Creation Club and then Fallout 76, and we're always trying to be looking at what else is out there, really make sure we're giving value to everybody and where we're not, hey you know, we definitely will adjust.

“The one thing I want to say on The Trackers Alliance, that was really an attempt to something we did in Creation Club where we'd say, hey you get this special outfit and you get this special weapon, we wanted to put them together, and then thought, let's go the extra mile and wrap those around a quest.

“But now we definitely see the feedback right? And that's not what we want at all in terms of, oh no, this looks like a faction that we're chopping up and then selling for 700 credits at a time. And so I do think we are going to take a look at that and how we deliver content like that, and whether we're changing pricing or breaking it up or what we should do there. So, great feedback from the community.”

Howard insisted, however, that Bethesda’s policy on paid mods has the health of the modding community at heart.

“As it comes to, particularly the creators out there, look, our view is, a lot of them have gone from hobbyists to professionals. And it’s part of our job to make sure they can do that and they do get paid and they see the monetary rewards if they make awesome content,” Howard said.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Xbots are happy they can pay $70 to play the game on Series S at shit IQ but almost 120fps.

BTW the overprice is due Gamepass… it is so clear they are trying to find others ways to monetize what they lose with Gamepass.

• haha
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Hatefield

I am the law
Staff member
18 Jun 2024
This is literally labor pay on tipping. Oh, it costs only 700 credits, but you can only buy 1000 credits so you are giving Bethesda 30% from a tip you give the modder.
How about this Todd. Hire the good the modders to fix your game? And leave mods free.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Since I purchased the Premium Edition, I got 1000 credits from that purchase and did purchase the 700 credit Vulture quest which I enjoyed as it was really good and took me a few hours to complete especially since the Vulture can kill you in a two shots depending on your level and armor. Individual Quests should be 500 points ($5) maximum but I don't care about cosmetics and other shit so unless it's a quest from Bethesda Game Studios, I have zero interest in it.

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
Todd will continue to laugh all the way to the bank.
He knows he/his company can survive off the die-hard alone. Even if the casuals/whales (at this point there is no more distinction) leave in droves, the hardcore will continue to shell out whatever amount of $$$ for overpriced DIGITAL items, lmao.

People literally think Todd is the "Messiah" of gaming!
SMH