Ubisoft was ‘disappointed’ by Assassin’s Creed Nexus VR sales, will not increase VR investment

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
assassins-creed-nexus-vr-1280x712.jpg

Ubisoft co-founder and CEO Yves Guillemot has called Assassin’s Creed Nexus VR sales “disappointing”, and stated that the publisher will not be investing too heavily on VR for now.

We have been a bit disappointed by what we were able to achieve on VR with Assassin’s Creed It did okay, and it continues to sell, but we thought it would sell more, so we are not increasing our investment on VR at the moment, because it needs to take off.

We have been very impressed by what Apple came up with, and we think it’s fantastic hardware, but we continue to look at this VR business as something that we have to look at but not invest too much in, until it grows enough.

Source

Reactions: Gamernyc78

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Even in the best case for Apple Vision, I don't think it will be a big platform for VR gaming, since Apple is barely even pitching fully immersive experiences at this point. It's more likely you'd play Death Stranding on a virtualized TV than something like Half Life Alyx. With PSVR2 apparently sent to die, it looks grim for the near-term future of VR gaming. Steam is the best platform doing it, and I don't think they can make it succeed without lots of hardware competition. If Valve made a great, affordable VR device it still wouldn't sell > 20M needed for solid software support.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
How about you release it for PSVR2 (so it can double bomb)?

Sorry, sorry. I love my headset but the sales aren't hot.