UE 5 Powered New Halo Reportedly in Development at 343 Industries

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1704886789808.png

Microsoft's Halo studio 343 Industries might very well have begun development on an UE5-powered new Halo installment.

Back in October of last year, we reported on a podcast from Seasoned Gaming, in which editor-in-chief Ains claimed that 343 Industries is currently working on the next Halo campaign within Epic's most recent game engine. "It is part of that restructuring that is building the next generation of Halo on Unreal [Engine]", Ains said in the podcast, although this next Halo single-player campaign is likely still years away.

Fast forward a couple of months and we now have some additional information that might support the above-mentioned rumor about a new UE5-powered next Halo entry. As spotted by Xbox insider 'Idle Sloth' on X, former Art Director at 343 Industries, Justin Dinges, was working on the next "unannounced" Halo release between April 2022 and March 2023. Before his work on this next Halo release, 'Dinges served as Game Director as well as Art Lead on Halo Infinite. He also worked on both Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians as an Environment Artist.

Interestingly enough, although these might not be connected, 343 Industries Senior Character Systems Designer Ian Slutz, has been building "player systems and assets in Unreal Engine 5".

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yep can't wait to play this on PlayStation
I can wait a long time, I can't wait to make fun of it tho.

I only played the first Halo and it was unbearable, I could not finish it even after 3 attempts over the years.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I can wait a long time, I can't wait to make fun of it tho.

I only played the first Halo and it was unbearable, I could not finish it even after 3 attempts over the years.
I bought gamepass once a long time ago on Xboxone just to play Halo and Gears. I didn't subscribe again, tht should say enough.

Last edited:
  • thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I bought ganepass once along time ago on Xbox one just okay Halo and Gears. I didn't subscribe again tht should say enough.
I played Halo and Gears close to when they release, so there isn't even the excuse that they are old games. Gears at least I made it to the second one before giving up on it.

I played a little bit of the new Gears to see if it was different but I dropped them in a matter of a few minutes.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Lots of bad info on tiger development. Reach wasn’t actually running on tiger. Built in it at some point but tiger is the multi platform version made for destiny.

So it is kinda true that Ue5 would facilitate PlayStation development since I doubt that was 343’s focus with reworking the engine thru Infinite.

I have doubts that they will be able to carry over bungie’s gunplay. All 343 had to do was port that over from game to game to retain. Making it from scratch is a bit more challenging.

I think the switch to unreal has more to do being able to outsource the project’s development as a life service game that would need supplementary studios on deck.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Lots of bad info on tiger development. Reach wasn’t actually running on tiger. Built in it at some point but tiger is the multi platform version made for destiny.

So it is kinda true that Ue5 would facilitate PlayStation development since I doubt that was 343’s focus with reworking the engine thru Infinite.

I have doubts that they will be able to carry over bungie’s gunplay. All 343 had to do was port that over from game to game to retain. Making it from scratch is a bit more challenging.

I think the switch to unreal has more to do being able to outsource the project’s development as a life service game that would need supplementary studios on deck.
I mean most devs are switching to Unreal 5.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I mean most devs are switching to Unreal 5.

Eh. Im not hating on unreal here but… Many devs do things on in-house engine. IE most of Sony. And they will still have a reasons to. Probably cheaper to use unreal that build and maintain in house.

I am hating on 343’s capacity at porting over Bungie’s gunplay over to unreal. Can it be ported over at all for instance? Will it have to be rebuilt by 343?

I’m leaning towards this starting off as the Tatanka project and became a full fledged sequel once Infinite failed to make money.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Eh. Im not hating on unreal here but… Many devs do things on in-house engine. IE most of Sony. And they will still have a reasons to. Probably cheaper to use unreal that build and maintain in house.

I am hating on 343’s capacity at porting over Bungie’s gunplay over to unreal. Can it be ported over at all for instance? Will it have to be rebuilt by 343?

I’m leaning towards this starting off as the Tatanka project and became a full fledged sequel once Infinite failed to make money.
I mean Sony is a diff animal with great engines via Naughty Dog, Guerilla using Decima, Sucker Punch etc but games from Bend use UE but Sony has ice team which helps with engines and graphics. I don't see Xbox on tht level so them going the route of UE5 makes sense to me.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Probably means Halo Infinite will get a multiplatform release sooner rather than later.
Nah, people doesn't change the game engine to make a late port, that would mean to build most of the game again from almost scratch. They must be talking there about a new game.

A PS5 port would be mostly outsourced to somewhere else, 343 doing maybe only some critical engine part adaptation or stuff like crossplay.

• haha
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This jibes with the rumours that MS internal studios and owned pubs and devs have been told to switch all development to cross-platform engines, UE in particular, to make multiplatform development easier.
Better for them. Honestly Halo could go multiplat and I seriously would not buy it. For all the shit ppl talk Halo hasn't been innovative since it's inception and most other shooters have surpassed it. It's formula feels very outdated and not fun to me.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Better for them. Honestly Halo could go multiplat and I seriously would not buy it. For all the shit ppl talk Halo hasn't been innovative since it's inception and most other shooters have surpassed it. It's formula feels very outdated and not fun to me.
Halo was MASSIVELY overhyped and overrated, the sequels were just more of the same until Bungie left, then it went from average but hyped as the second coming to total slop.

They can port Halo to whatever they want, but it won’t ever interest me.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Why go through all that trouble porting your game to the most multi-platform engine without releasing it on multiple platforms?

Mind you, I stopped caring about Halo after Halo 2, so if it comes to PS or Switch, I will rejoice in watching Xbots cry but won't touch the game.

Last edited:
  • Shake

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I mean Sony is a diff animal with great engines via Naughty Dog, Guerilla using Decima, etc but even a game like Ghost of T uses Unreal Engine, Bend but Sony has ice team which helps with engines and graphics. I don't see Xbox on tht level so them going the route of UE5 makes sense to me.

GoT run on UE? That's news to me.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I mean Sony is a diff animal with great engines via Naughty Dog, Guerilla using Decima, etc but even a game like Ghost of T uses Unreal Engine, Bend but Sony has ice team which helps with engines and graphics. I don't see Xbox on tht level so them going the route of UE5 makes sense to me.
GoT runs on Sucker Punch's proprietary engine, not UE.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
GoT run on UE? That's news to me.
No it does not I mislabeled that.

Here's a breakdown per studio

Naughty Dog - Internal Engine

Santa Monica Studios - Internal Engine