[UK] 2022 was the first year in a decade where boxed games year-on-year performance was better than digital

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

Software spending remained relatively flat, partly due to the growth in mobile and digital PC revenues. While mobile is a significant force in the market, UK games spending continues to be driven by consoles, particularly digital.

Digital console spending dropped by almost 5% and actually showed a slightly steeper decline that boxed games, which dipped by 4.3%. This makes 2022 the only year in the past ten where the performance of retail games has been better in terms of year-on-year comparisons than download, which may suggest the decline of boxed sales is levelling off.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Retail / boxed sales needs more support, if we ever lose the option, people will regret it.

It offers real competition against walled garden / online stores and a truly drm free option in many cases...

I do believe Gamestop Ireland are considering shutting down their stores and that will be a huge shame.

I love getting physical games and collectors editions in particular and that will become much harder if GS closes. I also bought many of my consoles there...

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Physical is irrelevant people shuffling for goal posts right now

Physical media still makes a large part of the package media market and sales. Nobody is looking for anything. Reality says otherwise. Music CD’s, blurays, and video games disc are available plenty.

I don’t know why you would want choice to go away anyway. Which I’ve noticed a lot of you digital supporters have that strange attitude.

Reactions: Johnic

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Physical still doing 30% despite digital releases way way more games.
In the lockdown, when digital was at its peak, it barely done anything. Physical holds the ground as it is giving people massive choice to buy games. Prices are better, you can trade, sell. Collectors editions still going strong too.

Last edited:
Reactions: On Demand

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its the bounce-back from Covid. A lot of people were forced to buy digital who really didn't want to and this is part of settling to a new normal. Doesn't mean that physical is saved or digital is doomed, doesn't mean the opposite either.

Physical is irrelevant people shuffling for goal posts right now
The day gaming goes digital only is the day I say "fuck it" and just pirate everything.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Its the bounce-back from Covid. A lot of people were forced to buy digital who really didn't want to and this is part of settling to a new normal. Doesn't mean that physical is saved or digital is doomed, doesn't mean the opposite either.

The day gaming goes digital only is the day I say "fuck it" and just pirate everything.
Why? You don't like being locked into a single storefront that has no competition and can dictate prices? What's not to like about lack of consumer choice?

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Why? You don't like being locked into a single storefront that has no competition and can dictate prices? What's not to like about lack of consumer choice?
Yes and no, I want a physical thing that I can keep playing years or even decades later. I do, when forced, occasionally buy digital copies currently if no physical is available but I'm not going to enter a digital ecosystem that keeps prices artificially high with no used sales. I think you are trying to make some point about Xbox here but its falling flat because I'd make the same choice no matter how many shitty digital stores are available.

These cheapie bastards want to force me into a system where I don't have a physical connection to my game and am instead just going to download stuff. If thats the case I'll cut their stupid bullshit out of the loop entirely and do their damned download, but for free. And banning me from official online services isn't going to dissuade me either since I actively despise competitive online multiplayer.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Yes and no, I want a physical thing that I can keep playing years or even decades later. I do, when forced, occasionally buy digital copies currently if no physical is available but I'm not going to enter a digital ecosystem that keeps prices artificially high with no used sales. I think you are trying to make some point about Xbox here but its falling flat because I'd make the same choice no matter how many shitty digital stores are available.

These cheapie bastards want to force me into a system where I don't have a physical connection to my game and am instead just going to download stuff. If thats the case I'll cut their stupid bullshit out of the loop entirely and do their damned download, but for free. And banning me from official online services isn't going to dissuade me either since I actively despise competitive online multiplayer.
Wasn't even thinking about Xbox in that post. PS has the exact same system. The entire post is sarcasm.

2 issues with digital for me. Lack of actual ownership and pricing.

If we had a system in place where you could transfer your collection to another account (only having those games active on one account at a time, of course) I'd be more open to it. Not trusting my entire collection to an account that can be taken away at any time. Seriously, these ToS cover anything and everything. You look at your account wrong and it;s grounds for a ban.

Remember when people claimed digital distribution will make games cheaper because you cut out distribution and packaging/printing cost? Yeah, me too. And we ended up with games that are MUCH more expensive digitally that they are physically. Seriously, how do you sell a digital game that's several years old at almost full price, while a physical edition costs a fraction of that?

Don;t care about PC gaming too much but I use it for emulation mostly. The moment I can't own my stuff, I go the emulation way.

Reactions: Zzero