UK man jailed for four months for carrying 6-inch Zelda Master Sword in public

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
master-sword-mini-1-1440x810.jpg

A UK man has been jailed for four months for carrying a 6-inch Master Sword replica in public. 48-year-old Anthony Bray was arrested in Nuneaton, Warwickshire after CCTV operators notified police that he was carrying something in his hand and walking around Nuneaton town centre with it held out in front of him.

As Bray approached officers, they saw he was holding a miniature replica of the Master Sword from the Legend of Zelda games. The miniature contains a six-inch blade, which can be unsheathed at the press of a button.

Police arrested Bray for carrying a bladed article, despite his claims that the sword was purchased as a fidget toy.

Although Bray admitted that the replica could have been considered threatening if other members of the public saw it, he insisted he would have never used it as a weapon.

Nevertheless, he was sentenced to four months in prison and ordered to pay a victims’ surcharge of £154.

UK man jailed for four months for carrying 6-inch Zelda Master Sword in public When unsheathed, the replica has a six-inch blade.

“We take a zero tolerance to bladed articles in public, and Bray has fallen afoul of this,”

Sgt Spellman of Warwickshire Police’s Patrol Investigations Unite said in a statement.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Four months?!
Is it a suspended sentence or does the poor man really need to spend prison time for carrying a small toy dagger?
It's not just a small toy dagger; it has a blade inside it, making it a concealed weapon.

When you pull it out, it's exactly the same as one of those canes with a blade in it.

With knife crime so rampant in the UK and it affects our inner cities and our youth so much, can you imagine if there was no penalty for this, everyone would be walking around with one in London and Manchester and could say it's just a toy, what's the big deal?

If I walk down the street with a 6-inch kitchen knife, I will get arrested. Why should this be any different if the person wants to use a cosplay weapon, then make sure it's totally plastic, etc.?

As for a small knife, a six-inch blade is plenty big enough to do some serious damage to a person,

It kinda reminds me of America with all those people wanting to ban rifles, etc., when it's handguns that makeup 95% of all deaths in regards to shooting.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
It's not just a small toy dagger; it has a blade inside it, making it a concealed weapon.

When you pull it out, it's exactly the same as one of those canes with a blade in it.

With knife crime so rampant in the UK and it affects our inner cities and our youth so much, can you imagine if there was no penalty for this, everyone would be walking around with one in London and Manchester and could say it's just a toy, what's the big deal?

If I walk down the street with a 6-inch kitchen knife, I will get arrested. Why should this be any different if the person wants to use a cosplay weapon, then make sure it's totally plastic, etc.?

As for a small knife, a six-inch blade is plenty big enough to do some serious damage to a person,

It kinda reminds me of America with all those people wanting to ban rifles, etc., when it's handguns that makeup 95% of all deaths in regards to shooting.

Dude banning kitchen knives from the streets.. ok. It's a bit alien to me because that law doesn't exist where I live.
How do people bring kitchen knives to their homes without being at risk of being arrested then?

But 4 months in jail?! 120 days in jail for what seems like a mistake?
I'd understand 4 months or even more if the guy was carrying it around with the intent to use it for threatening or harming others, but a 6-inch miniature sword from a videogame theme? That guy was probably just clueless, and I don't get how the judge passed a sentence like this.

Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Dude banning kitchen knives from the streets.. ok. It's a bit alien to me because that law doesn't exist where I live.
How do people bring kitchen knives to their homes without being at risk of being arrested then?

I'd understand 4 months or even more if the guy was carrying it around with the intent to use it for threatening or harming others, but a 6-inch miniature sword from a videogame theme? That guy was probably just clueless, and I don't get how the judge passed a sentence like this.
Well, knife crime is a serious issue in the UK; and it is out of control.

You can easily transport kitchen knives around, put them in a bag, a box, etc., but you can't walk with them in hand, unsheathed.

As for the 4 months in jail, this is not a mistake. Why on earth would a game prop have a proper blade in it? If the guy is a UK resident, he should have known better, knife crime is always in the papers, always in the news; it's a hot topic over here,

I get that it is foreign to someone who is not a resident here, but I would be amiss to find many people who would do what he did in this country without knowing the consequences.

There is a zero-tolerance policy for things relating to knife crime over here; being dumb or claiming you do not know as an adult does not wash, I am afraid.

On a personal level, do I think 4 months might be excessive for the crime, possibly, but I can see why they did it.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Well, knife crime is a serious issue in the UK; and it is out of control.

You can easily transport kitchen knives around, put them in a bag, a box, etc., but you can't walk with them in hand, unsheathed.

As for the 4 months in jail, this is not a mistake. Why on earth would a game prop have a proper blade in it? If the guy is a UK resident, he should have known better, knife crime is always in the papers, always in the news; it's a hot topic over here,

I get that it is foreign to someone who is not a resident here, but I would be amiss to find many people who would do what he did in this country without knowing the consequences.

There is a zero-tolerance policy for things relating to knife crime over here; being dumb or claiming you do not know as an adult does not wash, I am afraid.

On a personal level, do I think 4 months might be excessive for the crime, possibly, but I can see why they did it.

Not his first brush with the law.

He has a long criminal history.

• Informative

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

you are making fake equivalence.

of course they should ban carrying kitchen knives from the streets, it is called Kitchen for a reason. i don't know a country where it is allowed, you clearly should investigate what the longest blade is allowed, i bet 100% there is one.
also, carrying is not the same as buying in the shopping mall and bring it to home. no one ever would do anything in this case. how in the earth you missed a basic distinguish and context here..

it is all about negating the accidents. how anyone in the world should know what is your intent? maybe he is lying that he just carrying by mistake? you can always play dumb. also, you can always play dumb and act like it is just a toy when it is not a toy, it is a killing tool hided under fake decoration.
also, other people can take it away from you and use on you or others. there are plenty of malicious people as you can be one as well.

as EU has strict weapons rules, so main lethal weapon is knife. you don't need big investment to buy it or to upkeep it, you don't need to check your psyche etc..

in this case or other cases, they should be jailing people for even longer, 4 months is nothing.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Not his first brush with the law.

He has a long criminal history.

Ok, this makes sense.

of course they should ban carrying kitchen knives from the streets, it is called Kitchen for a reason. i don't know a country where it is allowed, you clearly should investigate what the longest blade is allowed, i bet 100% there is one.
You're right, it is here as well.
I just had never crossed paths with that law because I never really intended to carry blades with me regardless.

I thought it was permitted because we've actually had some news not long ago where a Sikh was photographed in the metro carrying one of their ceremonial blades and people were outraged about it but the guy wasn't arrested.