"Unicorn Overlord" has to be a top 5 worst name for a video game

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
It's one of those titles that you completely ignore when you're scanning a list of upcoming games, because it's just sort of nonsensical, while also not being that memorable. Then, even if you learn what it is ("a tactics game from the people behind 13 Sentinels!"), the odd combo of "Unicorn" and "Overlord" will probably throw you off in an unappealing way.

One of my friends was hyped on the release for weeks, blowing up Discord, etc., and I mostly wrote it off thinking it was some weird anime thing I wouldn't like.

Look: I get that lots of video games have weird/dumb/bizarre titles. For example, Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy are kind of inherently stupid names. But at the same time, they have a bit of "good dumb" charm, and they are at least distinctive.

"Unicorn Overlord" pairs two words with completely different meanings, and those two words clash. Semantically, it's like 1 part "Barbie Horse Adventures: Mystery Ride" and 1 part "Diablo 4."

Maybe someone who knows Japanese can explain that it's actually a clever pun or a more interesting contrast in the original language. Oh well...it doesn't really matter once you start playing the game. I'm just guessing many people will give it a full pass on the name alone.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Have you played the demo? If not you should, and it will explain everything. The name is fine