Unicorn Overlord Review and |OT| (Will update when scores drop)

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Unicorn Overlord

1709566052061.png

Unicorn Overlord
[a] is an upcoming tactical role-playing game developed by Vanillaware and published by Atlus in Japan and Sega worldwide. It will be released for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S on March 8, 2024. Set on the continent of Fevrith as it is consumed by war, the story follows exiled prince Alain as he gathers allies to take back his kingdom from the Zenoiran Empire led by the rogue General Valmore. Gameplay follows Alain and his army units fighting in large-scale battles, with field movement and battles taking place in real-time.

Trailers:

Previews:

Reviews:

1709826505234.png

Vandal
MAR 7, 2024
Unicorn Overlord is a really great game. An essential for any lover of the tactical role that gets it right with its battles, with its elaborate system of formations and classes, with its great world map and with its exquisite audiovisual section, something to which we must add that nostalgic and classic aroma that permeates the entire work. Perhaps the main plot is somewhat predictable and topical, but there are so many virtues of this epic journey of reconquest and liberation that they end up compensating and prevailing by a landslide. If you like the genre and want to immerse yourself for dozens of hours in a new fantasy world full of great conflicts and small personal stories, don't hesitate and give it a try. You will hardly regret it.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

CGMagazine
MAR 7, 2024
Unicorn Overlord combines the stellar Vanillaware aesthetic in a tactical RPG experience that feels like a modern classic in the making.

PSX Brasil
MAR 7, 2024
Vanillaware hits the spot with Unicorn Overlord while reinvigorating an RPG sub-genre that, for a long time, was neglected in the gaming industry. I strongly believe that it is also the best game created by the Japanese developer. Even though there are small imperfections, the game is brilliant and deserving of the highest recommendation.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Push Square
MAR 7, 2024
It's hard to say whether Unicorn Overlord is objectively Vanillaware's best game, but for us, it's right up there, competing for the crown — and that's incredibly high praise. This is an immaculate and deeply engaging strategy RPG; the best example of the genre that we've played in years. For those who are looking to get lost in tactical thought, it's essential — and for everyone else, it still stands as an engrossing fantasy adventure. Vanillaware's done it again.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

IGN
MAR 7, 2024
Reflecting on the incredibly diverse and remarkably creative world I explored across my 45-hour journey, any issues I had with Unicorn Overlord ended up feeling like nothing more than nitpicks. The tactical combat system is unique and complex while also being easy to understand, expertly blending mechanics from many of its peers with smart new additions of its own. The interesting terrain across the continent of Fevrith makes every fight feel unique, with some of the best map gimmicks I’ve seen in any strategy RPG. Because the campaign is told through the eyes of a diverse and creative cast, its trope-filled fantasy story is elevated in a way that a more traditional storytelling style wouldn't manage. The shorter, more personal stories work wonderfully to support a loop of exploration and liberation that had me begging to see one more tale told, one more town rebuilt, and one more battle fought.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

TheGamer
MAR 7, 2024
As a long-time TRPG fan, Unicorn Overlord is everything I wanted it to be and more. I suspect that some people will read this review and think that it sounds tedious, but that’s the thing about games that deliver such a focused experience: they aren’t going to appeal to everyone. However, by being so specific in everything it does, Unicorn Overlord ensures that those who do “get it” will be thinking of it fondly for decades to come.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

INVEN
MAR 7, 2024
Unicorn Overlord boasts a beautiful 2D art style and excellent sound, creating a fantastic atmosphere. With a combat and management system that diversifies strategy and encourages thoughtful decisions, the game became a title that would thoroughly satisfy SRPG fans.
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Noisy Pixel
MAR 7, 2024
Unicorn Overlord distinguishes itself in the tactical RPG landscape with its strategic depth and immersive worldbuilding. Vanillaware's creation shines through its complex combat system, where unit formations, skill settings, and strategic planning are key. Despite a sprawling cast that sometimes dilutes character impact, the gameplay's strategic intricacies and the detailed, visually rich environments ensure a compelling experience. This game is a notable entry for both newcomers to tactical RPGs and seasoned strategists, highlighting Vanillaware's mastery in blending beautiful art with deep gameplay mechanics.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

tbd
Kotaku
MAR 7, 2024
This is not a game that is trying to be a narrative masterpiece; it is trying to be a mechanical marvel, and it accomplishes the latter in spades. The endlessly inventive and incredibly well-designed tactical systems at play in Unicorn Overlord make it a thrilling challenge to tackle. It isn’t just a game that longtime fans of Vanillaware should pay attention to, it’s for anybody wanting to play the next great tactics RPG. Unicorn Overlord is the game you’ve been waiting for.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Attachments

• 1709826373393.png
    1709826373393.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Another banger, damn 2024 aint stopping, I wish I had more time for all of these. Definitely copping this down the line

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022