Unreal Engine 5.3 is now available—find out what’s new!

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

We’re excited to announce that Unreal Engine 5.3 is now available. This release brings numerous wide-ranging improvements as we continue to expand UE5’s functionality and potential for game developers and creators across industries.

As well as enhancements to core rendering, developer iteration, and virtual production toolsets, we’re introducing Experimental new rendering, animation, and simulation features to give you the opportunity to test extended creative workflows inside UE5—reducing the need to round-trip with external applications.

What's new in Unreal Engine 5.3​

Refinements to core UE5 rendering features​

With this release, we’ve continued to refine all core UE5 rendering features to address our ongoing goal of making it easier for developers to leverage them at higher quality in games running at 60 fps on next-gen consoles; the improvements also offer higher-quality results and enhanced performance for linear content creators.

Specifically, Nanite has faster performance for masked materials, including foliage, and can represent a greater range of surfaces due to the new Explicit Tangents option, while Lumen with Hardware Ray Tracing has expanded capabilities that include multiple reflection bounces, and delivers faster performance on consoles.

Other areas with notable advancements include Virtual Shadow Maps (VSM)—which is now Production-Ready—Temporal Super Resolution (TSR), Hair Grooms, Path Tracing, and Substrate.

Multi-Process Cook​

In another useful improvement, developers can now leverage additional CPU and memory resources when converting content from the internal UE format to a platform-specific format, significantly reducing the time it takes to get a cooked output from a build farm server or on a local workstation.

Enabling Multi-Process Cook launches subprocesses that perform parts of the cooking work alongside the main process. Developers can select how many subprocesses they want to run on a single machine.

Cine Cam Rig Rail​

Real-time use cases such as games and virtual production can also begin experimenting with SVTs for playback of volumetric elements, although performance is limited at this time and highly dependent on the content.

Orthographic rendering​

nDisplay support for SMPTE ST 2110​

unreal-engine-5-3-smpte-2110-b-1920x1080-36270e4a432a.jpg

And finally, in preparation for the next generation of LED production stages, we’ve added Experimental support to nDisplay for SMPTE ST 2110, utilizing NVIDIA hardware and Rivermax SDK. This lays the groundwork for a range of hardware configurations that open up new possibilities for LED stages—the most exciting configuration uses a dedicated machine for each camera frustum, maximizing the potential rendering resolution, increasing frame rate, and allowing for more complex scene geometry and lighting than previously possible.

This solution offers the ability to tackle challenges like wider angle lenses that require greater resolution and multi-camera shoots that stress current systems. It also implies lower latency in the system, due to simplification of the signal chain.

And there’s more…​

These are just some of the new features and enhancements in Unreal Engine 5.3. Check out the release notes to see the full feature list.

Reactions: Arc and anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I will say a controversial opinion.

I think Unreal Engine 5 is bad for the industry after saw the results across games using it.

It is very shit in performance and the graphics are not up to next-gen standards imo.

It is imo a mess of engine that create bad gaming developers.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I will say a controversial opinion.

I think Unreal Engine 5 is bad for the industry after saw the results across games using it.

It is very shit in performance and the graphics are not up to next-gen standards imo.

It is imo a mess of engine that create bad gaming developers.
I’m not quite this skeptical, and it’s certainly justified, but it definitely put in a bad performance with Immortals at 60 FPS recently.

While the vast majority of UE5 games will probably put in a much better performance at 30 FPS, I hope that these continuing optimizations make the engine less of a beast for consoles to deal with.

Fortnite, which uses all the engine features, looks absolutely fantastic. But they get to be a cartoony game and ease the load a little. I hope for more Fortnite, less reconstructed 720p Immortals.

Reactions: ethomaz

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
I'll take RE Engine over Unreal Engine any day of the week.

resident-evil-4-ashley.gif

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I’m not quite this skeptical, and it’s certainly justified, but it definitely put in a bad performance with Immortals at 60 FPS recently.

While the vast majority of UE5 games will probably put in a much better performance at 30 FPS, I hope that these continuing optimizations make the engine less of a beast for consoles to deal with.

Fortnite, which uses all the engine features, looks absolutely fantastic. But they get to be a cartoony game and ease the load a little. I hope for more Fortnite, less reconstructed 720p Immortals.
I don't take Fortnite as looking fantastic because it is like Minecraft for me... it looks good but it is very simple graphics that not demand that much.
You can make it looks stunning but it won't stress the hardware.

Reactions: Arc
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I hear you but I can only take so much of that cartoon art style. Cel shaded games get to me quickly too. There definitely needs to be better performance coming out of that engine though.

Reactions: Arc