Unreal Engine 5.5 Megalights Tech Demo (Running on a PS5) | Unreal Fest 2024

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
A lot very advanced rendering stuff in there won't be used in games just yet as they are prohibitively expensive to run real-time, but it's cool to see nonetheless. Unreal Engine ain't just games nowadays.

Lots of "under the hood" stuff in this update. More options in several areas of the pipeline and refinements to make things easier for devs. We don't really feel the effects of this but I'm sure 9 to 5 folks dealing with a specific task are probably like "Oh my lord, I've become like 50% more productive at this task"

OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
A lot very advanced rendering stuff in there won't be used in games just yet as they are prohibitively expensive to run real-time, but it's cool to see nonetheless. Unreal Engine ain't just games nowadays.

Lots of "under the hood" stuff in this update. More options in several areas of the pipeline and refinements to make things easier for devs. We don't really feel the effects of this but I'm sure 9 to 5 folks dealing with a specific task are probably like "Oh my lord, I've become like 50% more productive at this task"

You're right, indeed. Devs usually run super PC's and such stuff would make it great for them to check how things look before they bake lighting. I'm more than sure that these techs also help with light baking as well.

Despite we wouldn't see it in games soon, such things are great to see.

OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
The compressions makes this one look pretty bad.... I think was intended to impress.

Nah, they just ended the stream and haven't released these clips officially, which will most likely be in 4K@60fps. Streams always look like shit unless it's not live.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Running on PS5. Pretty impressive for the limited hardware. What are you expecting?
Not related to what I expected at all but with what they showed.
When they started to show Nanite and Lumen around Unreal Engine 5.0 demoed on PS5 was a whole level different from what they are show now with Unreal Engine 5.5.

Nothing what they showed here is close to the Matrix or that other woman flying demo.

I'm curious if UE5 is starting to fail to delivery what they showed us.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bo_Hazem
OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
When they started to show Nanite and Lumen around Unreal Engine 5.0 demoed on PS5 was a whole level different from what they are show now with Unreal Engine 5.5.

Nothing what they showed here is close to the Matrix or that other woman flying demo.

It's really not about showing which game looks better, it's about a new tech that's far less expensive on the hardware and showing it off on a casual console running smoothly instead of a super workstation.

Last edited:

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024

Its still UE5. Not UE6. Don't expect leaps in tech, but more refinement and such. Basically it's running a bit faster with all bells and whistles with few graphical improvements.

The dont have to show matrix style stuff because they already showed it. Nanite/ Lumen has been implemented in a lot of games with Matrix level qualilty environments. Robocop Rogue City being a prime example of this tech in use.

Hell even Fortnite uses Lumen/ Nanite and you don't see it that well. Doesn't mean it's not there. ;)

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

The lighting is impressive.

I would like to see the detail in person because the compression is bad.

Demons Souls still looks incredible and they used a type a screen space shadows... Still looks better than almost any other full game.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

The lighting is impressive.

I would like to see the detail in person because the compression is bad.

Demons Souls still looks incredible and they used a type a screen space shadows... Still looks better than almost any other full game.
yeah Demons souls still looks better.
tlou2 also.
rt still cannot match good baked lighting

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Nope. Effects will be the same. Performance with said effects will be better.
It can be either, or even both in situations (anything using RT should offer pretty nice benefits).

It's just like a GPU upgrade for those interested (well it basically is that + more SSD storage).