Update Wish me luck I'm going in! ResiEvil 4 VR Mode interview: gameplay features, and more

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1701955347968.png

Leveraging past experiences to encapsulate the thrill of Resident Evil 4 in VR​

PlayStation Blog: Did you have VR Mode in mind when developing Resident Evil 4? When exactly did the development for VR Mode start?

Kumazawa:
We announced the main PS5 version of Resident Evil 4 in June of last year, and a plan for VR Mode was already in motion back then. The actual development of VR Mode began early this year, soon after RE4 went gold. We completed it in less than a year, so we were on a very tight schedule. Nonetheless, we fully committed ourselves to bringing the thrill of RE4 to VR.

Yamakawa: Although we had to make some tough choices, we made sure to include all the essential elements that we felt were indispensable.

PSB: How did the development process of VR Modes for Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil Village influence VR Mode for RE4?
Yamakawa
: I also worked on VR Mode for RE7, and the Director who worked on VR Mode for RE Village aided us during the initial phases of development of RE4 VR Mode. I believe that the knowledge and expertise we’ve gained about VR over the years were put to good use in this game.

Kumazawa: Capcom has its own proprietary game engine called the RE Engine, and VR Modes for RE7 and RE Village were developed using this engine. Having that experience helped the development of VR mode for RE4 go more smoothly.

Yamakawa: Since VR Mode for RE Village was also compatible with PS VR2, we already knew what issues may stem from adapting to VR, as well as how the PlayStation VR2 Sense controllers can be best used for gun and UI mechanics. I think having this foundation allowed us to develop VR Mode for RE4 in less than a year and made it possible for us to achieve the final product.

For example, in RE Village, laser pointers that came out of both hands were used to navigate the UI. However, this caused a glitch where two items on the menu could be selected at the same time. So, in VR Mode for RE4, we made sure the laser pointer only came out of your dominant hand.

Kumazawa: Since the early stages of production, we asked for a lot of favors and may have made some unreasonable requests to the development team, so that we didn’t keep players waiting for too long after the release of RE4 [laughter].

PSB: Did you make any changes to Resident Evil 4 VR Mode based on feedback from players who experienced VR Mode on Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil Village?
Yamakawa
: Resident Evil Village revolved around the concept of playing as Ethan Winters, who was an ordinary man that got caught up in a chain of very unfortunate and horrific events. However, RE4 centers on Leon, an agent who works directly under the President, so the approach and experience for the players are very different between the two VR Modes. This isn’t necessarily a direct reflection of user feedback, but because Leon is a professional agent, we put an emphasis on incorporating actions that felt cool and stylish, such as parrying with a knife, melee combat, and one-handed shotgun pumps.

Kumazawa: Personally, I would really like players to experience the knife fight with Krauser. This sequence features an intense battle focused on parrying, and I highly recommend players try it out.

Yamakawa: In VR Mode, players can engage Krauser with a knife in both hands, which actually isn’t possible in the main game; you’re able to use both hands at the same time – only in VR Mode. This opened up new possibilities for us, and we made sure to incorporate mechanics and actions that leveraged this ability throughout the game as much as possible.

How the team took advantage of unique PlayStation VR2 features​

PSB: How did you leverage unique PlayStation VR2 features like eye-tracking and headset vibration in Resident Evil 4 VR Mode?

Yamakawa
: I really enjoy the adaptive triggers on the PlayStation VR2 Sense controller. In RE4, you have a variety of guns at your disposal. For example, there are two types of revolvers available, and the triggers will feel different between the single action and double action guns. If you like replica guns, I think you’ll be able to tell the difference and be quite surprised.

Kumazawa: You’ll spot a lot of hidden details like that in the guns in this game, so if you’re into things like that, I encourage you to keep an eye out.

Yamakawa: Also, when something happens that affects the environment, like explosives going off or the wind blowing, you can feel vibrations through the headset feedback. I think you’ll be quite shocked, especially when you get caught in an explosive trap. The headset also subtly vibrates when you’re riding a minecart or jet ski, which I think adds to the sense of realism.

3D audio is another key element. The sound engineer on the development team was very particular about it and came up with all kinds of great ideas without me even asking. We even re-recorded all the gun sound effects for VR Mode. We put a lot of effort into 3D audio, so you’ll be able to detect enemy positions from the sounds they make, and you can hear the gun clicking right in the palm of your hands when you’re tinkering with it.

More in article...

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Sony should be funding Capcom to make VR versions of REmakes 2 and 3 as well. Imagine those updated
Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I lost of my cool stuff by having to star a new game. Not cool Capcom. At least I got the chicken hat and Ashley’s armor.

• sad
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm about to go in wish me luck and if you don't hear from me ever you know why!

Attachments

• 20231208_121308.jpg
    20231208_121308.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_121224.jpg
    20231208_121224.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I hope you enjoy bro. I ate a huge breakfast and now I’m too tired to play 😭 big mistake
That Cali bud giving you the munchies and making you lazy 👁️😂🚬

Thanks Bro, I love Resi Evil in VR it's immersive asf and way better than playing it standard but you know the vibes.

Reactions: JAHGamer