Joe Ziegler, Valorant's former director moves to Bungie. |UP| Takes over as Marathon director.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Bungie had a job listing for game director not too long ago. This is it.

According to wiki google search:

Joe Ziegler, Valorant's game director, is credited with the initial idea of Valorant while formulating potential games with other Riot developers”

Update 3/19/24

Christopher Barret has now moved onto Executive Creative Director.

Ziegler joined Bungie in 2022 along with other key Valorant talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
24 Jun 2022
Valorant is big on PC?

Quite huge there, actually. For hero shooters it's usually up there with Apex Legends or somewhere near it. Popularity wise I'd say it's Fortnite > (Apex Legends / ~ = Valorant) > (Overwatch 2 / ~ => Destiny 2)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halo Infinite.

I know Halo Infinite isn't a Hero Shooter, but I just wanted to show the gulf in popularity between it and other big shooters on PC. CounterStrike makes Halo Infinite look practically non-existent.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Considering that Sony is acquiring top shooter devs, hiring key staff who worked on top shooters, or signing 2nd party games with new studios from devs who made top shooters, I assume Sony is working on multiple shooter games to have their own hits and don't depend on 3rd parties for the main shooter areas:
  • Casual friendly SP narrative campaign (CoD, Destiny, typical Sony blockbusters)
  • Non team based MP mode like battle royale and others (Warzone/Fortnite/Apex/PUBG/etc.)
  • Hardcore eSports friendly team based MP mode (CS Go/Rainbow Six Siege/Overwatch/Valorant/etc.), I bet this hiring is for a game of this type
  • Big scale social (or coop/PVE) focus (Fortnite/GTA Online/Destiny/etc)
  • GaaS focus (hero shooter, battle pass, etc.)
From different sources we know they have in the works multiple potential (some confirmed) shooters:
  • Multiple Bungie new IPs under development
  • Firewalk new IP
  • Deviation new IP
  • Haven new GaaS IP (they have many former key Rainbow 6 Siege devs)
  • Firesprite AAA PvP action shooter GaaS original IP
  • Arrowhead satyrical AAA next gen coop TPS, unconfirmed to be Sony published but rumored and pretty much confirmed to be Helldivers 2

24 Jun 2022
Considering that Sony is acquiring top shooter devs, hiring key staff who worked on top shooters, or signing 2nd party games with new studios from devs who made top shooters, I assume Sony is working on multiple shooter games to have their own hits and don't depend on 3rd parties for the main shooter areas:
  • Casual friendly SP narrative campaign (CoD, Destiny, typical Sony blockbusters)
  • Non team based MP mode like battle royale and others (Warzone/Fortnite/Apex/PUBG/etc.)
  • Hardcore eSports friendly team based MP mode (CS Go/Rainbow Six Siege/Overwatch/Valorant/etc.), I bet this hiring is for a game of this type
  • Big scale social (or coop/PVE) focus (Fortnite/GTA Online/Destiny/etc)
  • GaaS focus (hero shooter, battle pass, etc.)
From different sources we know they have in the works multiple potential (some confirmed) shooters:
  • Multiple Bungie new IPs under development
  • Firewalk new IP
  • Deviation new IP
  • Haven new GaaS IP (they have many former key Rainbow 6 Siege devs)
  • Firesprite AAA PvP action shooter GaaS original IP
  • Arrowhead satyrical AAA next gen coop TPS, unconfirmed to be Sony published but rumored and pretty much confirmed to be Helldivers 2

I just hope some or even one of these is genuinely innovative in some notably huge way. A hero shooter with a co-op focus for racing on a map while a partner shoots away at other players for example, would be a neat spin on the traditional formula.

Maybe they're doing that with the new Twisted Metal game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I just hope some or even one of these is genuinely innovative in some notably huge way. A hero shooter with a co-op focus for racing on a map while a partner shoots away at other players for example, would be a neat spin on the traditional formula.

Maybe they're doing that with the new Twisted Metal game.
As I remember Firesprite is confirmed to be working the action shooter I mentioned, Horizon CoM, a AAA narrative adventure focused on storytelling, and Star Citizen. Not sure if they can handle a 5th game, so I think that the Twisted Metal doesn't exist.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
This pretty much confirms that Bungie has at least two titles in devlopment outside of Destiny 2 and Destiny Mobile w/Netease.

Joe Ziegler has filled the position for game director of a new game. Marathon and Matter both have directors.

Here’s the thing? What kind of director? I’m assuming PvP side.

Also, I’m sure each peace of seasonal dlc, and expansions, or whatever delivery method they use for future games will each have their own smaller teams and leads.

I don’t see them working on more than 3 console/pc games at once. They don’t have the bandwidth irregardless the year long hiring spree they’ve been on.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I also find aztecross’ assumption that anything will be “competitive” PvP is completely wrong.

Traditional arena PvP is sterile. It doesn’t work in today’s environment (i.e. Halo).They want dynamic meta shifts and shakeup to the game to keep players interested.

We also have an idea of what is happening to destiny after Final Shape. They’re increasing development and it looks like “D3.” He’s got some bad info in this vid. Panels of their on going projects for that leaked almost a year ago.

Two of these games have been in development for like half a decade already (matter, destiny mobile)… they need to show something.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This pretty much confirms that Bungie has at least two titles in devlopment outside of Destiny 2 and Destiny Mobile w/Netease.
Bungie already officially confirmed to be working on multiple new IPs and that wants to release at least one of them before 2025. Since we're almost in 2023, it means they must be under development now:

Last year: "to build and drive the creative vision and foundation for Bungie’s future worlds alongside the next generation of leaders at Bungie, with plans to bring at least one new IP to market before 2025” (notice the AT LEAST, means they are working in more and may have more than one of them released before 2025).

In 2019: "So, by 2025 we have a pretty specific path to make sure we transform Destiny and that we have other franchises within the marketplace” (notice the plural in FRANCHISES), “We need to build our publishing group, but part of our vision is also to become a multi-franchise entertainment company.”

I assume that if they'll release in 2024 one (or maybe even two games), pretty likely they'll announce them in 2023. If I had to bet, in a Summer/E3 Showcase.

I'd bet one of them is the Matter brand and logo they trademarked back in 2018.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Bungie is where good talent goes to die at this point

I was really hoping Destiny would be great and played the first one for a long time until I ended up feeling like a hamster in a wheel.

Tried returning to Destiny 2 on multiple occasions and still got that hamster feeling, dumping money into a few expansions that I never ended up playing through, a couple of which disappeared.

Also, the last time I tried Crucible it was godawful.

Last edited: