Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
tNwZZjW.png

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Of course they don't care, they want to sell software on Steam and make huge royalties. More devices in customers hands means more potential sales. It's no different than the console model, but it's just focused on the PC ecosystem. Which is why if you're a console maker, putting your games on Steam is incredibly stupid.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If you're a game publisher you'd be a fool not to publish on Steam.
The Steam stranglehold is actually one of the really stupid things about PC, and I mean really stupid. It's supposedly an "open" platform. But if the customer base is going to whine and cry, and not support software delivered directly or via other means, it's not really open at all. There is a reason Gabe is a multi-billionaire and makes nothing aside from a storefront.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
The Steam stranglehold is actually one of the really stupid things about PC, and I mean really stupid. It's supposedly an "open" platform. But if the customer base is going to whine and cry, and not support software delivered directly or via other means, it's not really open at all. There is a reason Gabe is a multi-billionaire and makes nothing aside from a storefront.
Completely disingenuous. Valve has done many more things than just a storefront, including games and hardware. The customer base doesn't support other platforms because they're worse than Steam. People whined about Epic exclusivity because it was often bought out with short notice, wasn't open since it forced you on to that platform, and Epic was worse than Steam in every way.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Completely disingenuous. Valve has done many more things than just a storefront, including games and hardware. The customer base doesn't support other platforms because they're worse than Steam. People whined about Epic exclusivity because it was often bought out with short notice, wasn't open since it forced you on to that platform, and Epic was worse than Steam in every way.
Valve used to make games till they hit it big with steam & the only hardware they've had success with has been the steam deck , the steam machine & the steam link both failed spectacularly

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Kokoloko

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I actually agree with this. Steam is the best platform hands down.

• Surprised
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Considering they were only a game developer, they now make less games than all the platforms (Xbox, PS, Nintendo)

They were smart to make the storefront and piggy back off everyone elses work.
and they done a good job with it.

I havent got complaints about the platform, I just wish they also acted more like a publisher/developer, They made good games.

The fanbase is weird af though, they complain about console warriors (over the plastic boxes) but as soon as there is the competition (Epic, Gog) they go hardcore warrior mode lol

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I agree. On the other hand, if you are a platform holder, you'd be a fool to publish on Steam or any other PC storefront which is not your own.

Platform holders are publishers too. Maybe you missed what's going with Helldivers currently.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Platform holders are publishers too. Maybe you missed what's going with Helldivers currently.

No, I'm fully aware of a small dev having difficulties supporting both PC and PS5, with server issues which keep people who bought the game stuck in a queue or unable to join games with others.

Can't remember HD1 having these problems when it launched exclusively on console before being ported to PC.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
No, I'm fully aware of a small dev having difficulties supporting both PC and PS5, with server issues which keep people who bought the game stuck in a queue or unable to join games with others.

Can't remember HD1 having these problems when it launched exclusively on console before being ported to PC.
Yeah probably Arrowhead wishes HD2 sold the same as HD1.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Valve used to make games till they hit it big with steam & the only hardware they've had success with has been the steam deck , the steam machine & the steam link both failed spectacularly
The Steam link was still a good product and the industry is better off that Valve tries things like that. They did make Half Life Alyx as well which was well received. I do think they should be making more games, but afaik part of the issue is Valve's company structure means people are free to pick and choose their projects. But still it doesn't change that Valve had success in multiple important games along with the storefront.
Considering they were only a game developer, they now make less games than all the platforms (Xbox, PS, Nintendo)

They were smart to make the storefront and piggy back off everyone elses work.
and they done a good job with it.

I havent got complaints about the platform, I just wish they also acted more like a publisher/developer, They made good games.

The fanbase is weird af though, they complain about console warriors (over the plastic boxes) but as soon as there is the competition (Epic, Gog) they go hardcore warrior mode lol
I agree. But the fact you can say that already illustrates it's not just a storefront. Nobody says "I wish Gog/Green Man Gaming would be making games!" And again I think it's off to call it "warrior mode" to say you want products available on the platform they want to use. Nobody cares that a game simultaneously releases on Epic, but it's that it's only releasing on Epic. That doesn't go against open platforms. It's the same perspective as Xbox buying BGS and cancelling PS version, what does anyone gain? Nothing, we all lose something instead.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Valves initiatives go beyond and are more important than releasing games. They still manage to have some of the most popular games in the world like dota2 and CS (CS2 they dropped the ball but will eventually fix it)

They should have released half life 3 around 2009. Nowadays the expectations are so much that there's no way they could meet them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Valves initiatives go beyond and are more important than releasing games. They still manage to have some of the most popular games in the world like dota2 and CS (CS2 they dropped the ball but will eventually fix it)

They should have released half life 3 around 2009. Nowadays the expectations are so much that there's no way they could meet them.
I want a Steam Deck - optimized isometric Half Life episode in the style of The Ascension and Killzone Liberation.