Vanillaware ran out of money for Unicorn Overlord’s development (as they did for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim)

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

1709807091317.png
Atlus and Vanillaware’s tactical RPG Unicorn Overlord launches worldwide in just one day’s time. In a post on X (formerly Twitter) counting down the last remaining day before the release, Vanillaware’s CEO George Kamitani admits to having run out of development funds for the game “as usual” and having to cover for the maxed-out budget out of pocket.
Unicorn Overlord is a fantasy tactical RPG with overworld exploration and real-time battles. The game’s development has famously lasted over 10 years – as it was first conceived by Takafumi Noma in 2014. But, as the title’s programmer Onishi has revealed, it is also Vanillaware’s most ambitious title up to date in terms of content. Apart from its rich gameplay and story and impressive volume of hand-drawn assets, it has also been revealed that Unicorn Overlord will feature over 60 companion characters and over 60 classes of units that the player can freely combine in parties.

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
learn how to business, george

also, steam revenue could help? I'd buy this on there

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
These guys have tight pockets and decide to go with an Xbox version of the game instead of PC...
I think it's more likely that xbox paid to have the port done considering that they ran out of budget. Switch would have been the primary platform they developed for and then the Playstation. On Pc there is no platform holder and Valve will never pay to get a game on their store

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think it's more likely that xbox paid to have the port done considering that they ran out of budget. Switch would have been the primary platform they developed for and then the Playstation. On Pc there is no platform holder and Valve will never pay to get a game on their store
Yeah Microsoft came with tht guaranteed bag probably.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Could have still funded a MS Store/PC Gamepass version of the game.

• haha
Reactions: FatKaz

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Could have still funded a MS Store/PC Gamepass version of the game.

Vanillaware is fairly small and they haven't released much outside of PS and never a PC release.
I don't think they really have the bandwidth and expertise to make a PC version.
In fact, before 13 Sentinels, a vanillaware game had never been on more than 1 system(it was a delayed port).

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Vanillaware is fairly small and they haven't released much outside of PS and never a PC release.
I don't think they really have the bandwidth and expertise to make a PC version.
In fact, before 13 Sentinels, a vanillaware game had never been on more than 1 system(it was a delayed port).
Damn thy made 13 Sentinels I heard tht was a good game.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
These guys have tight pockets and decide to go with an Xbox version of the game instead of PC...
it's part of the parity clause Xbox has with Sega, everything made for PS has to be on Xbox 😒 I'm surprised Xbox didn't add pc in to that

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
it's part of the parity clause Xbox has with Sega, everything made for PS has to be on Xbox 😒 I'm surprised Xbox didn't add pc in to that

Unicorn Overlord is heading to PlayStation, Xbox Series consoles, and Switch, but not to PC – is there any reason in particular you chose not to aim for PC at launch? Has there been any discussion about a PC port later on?

Yamamoto:
As a publisher, we would like to deliver it to PC users as well, but per our agreement with Vanillaware, we are only releasing on console. In other words, there are no plans to port it to PC currently.

Actually was really surprised by this too.

Vanillaware really wants nothing to do with PC, lmao.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
GIJ9kGRaYAATrzn

Unicorn Overlord is heading to PlayStation, Xbox Series consoles, and Switch, but not to PC – is there any reason in particular you chose not to aim for PC at launch? Has there been any discussion about a PC port later on?

Yamamoto:
As a publisher, we would like to deliver it to PC users as well, but per our agreement with Vanillaware, we are only releasing on console. In other words, there are no plans to port it to PC currently.

You can view Destructoid’s full interview for additional questions and comments.