Vice President of writing leaves Rockstar Games after 16 years

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
It seems that Michael Unsworth, the Vice President of Writing has left Rockstar Games after 16 years with the company.

According to his updated LinkedIn, it seems as though Michael left the company sometime this year. It hasn’t been updated as of yet with any new company that he’s joined so he may have left in recent weeks.
On his LinkedIn, it has been updated to state he was at Rockstar Games from 2007 until 2023 (it originally said he was there from 2007 until present) and his Linkedin about section has been updated to say ‘Mike is an accomplished writer who spent over 16 years working for Rockstar Games as a creative lead on some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful video game franchises of all time.’
Michael joined Rockstar Games in 2007 as a senior Creative writer, with his first project being Grand Theft Auto IV. He was credited for writing the dialogue for pedestrians. Michael also voiced a commercial in GTA IV.
Michael worked on every game released since GTA IV as a creative writer. He is credited in Grand Theft Auto V as the Vice President of Writing and for additional in game dialogue.

He is also credited in Red Dead Redemption 2 for writing the game along side Dan Houser who left Rockstar Games in 2020 as the Co-Founder & Vice President of Rockstar Games and Rupert Humphries who is currently still working at Rockstar Games. He’s also credited for voicing local population in RDR2.

Michael is just one of many of known names to leave Rockstar Games in recent years, Leslie Benzies left in 2016, Dan Houser left in March 2020 and Lazlow also departed the company in August 2020.

Games Michael Unsworth has worked on:
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad Of Gay Tony
  • Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned
  • Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
  • Midnight Club Los Angeles
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
  • Max Payne 3
  • L.A. Noire
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Grand Theft Auto: Online
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Red Dead Online

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Oh for gods sake, they're losing everyone.

I'd be worried if I was a company planning to acquire.

We see everyone abandoning ship over at Activision too....

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Oh for gods sake, they're losing everyone.
They have thousands of employees, I assume they must have someone very talented as replacement. Or if not (which I doubt), they have a shit ton of money to hire the best in the market.

Reactions: Bryank75

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Writing? They don't even need that for GTA VI. Just put together a big ass map and sell bullets by unit in MP. Just tie your bank account to GTAVI and debit all your in game MP purchases from there.