[Video and Discussion] The mind-blowing scale of The Milky Way

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This video kinda puts in perspective how insignificant we are in the context of the universe. This is just for a single galaxy, and the universe has an estimated 2 trillion galaxies.

Personal opinion: Humans thinking they are special in this context just shows how limited how brains. I find it damn near impossible that we'd be alone in our Galaxy, let alone the universe.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
This video kinda puts in perspective how insignificant we are in the context of the universe. This is just for a single galaxy, and the universe has an estimated 2 trillion galaxies.

Personal opinion: Humans thinking they are special in this context just shows how limited how brains. I find it damn near impossible that we'd be alone in our Galaxy, let alone the universe.
Of course, we not alone. But distances are too far to reach anyone, at least for now.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Of course, we not alone. But distances are too far to reach anyone, at least for now.
Agree entirely. I'm actually not even sure if we will ever be able to reach anyone - I actually think we'll self destruct before that happens.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Agree entirely. I'm actually not even sure if we will ever be able to reach anyone - I actually think we'll self destruct before that happens.
Oh, yeah for sure.

When you think about it, it scared as even if we find something, that civilization or even world could have been wipeout long before we get there.

''How many light years is the Earth from the nearest Galaxy? If you only account for actual galaxies, it's about 2.5 million light years (Andromeda ). If you accept dwarf/satellite galaxies, then it's about 25,000 light years. ''

imagine, this is light years and human's fastest self made object is just barely 635k km per hour.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Oh, yeah for sure.

When you think about it, it scared as even if we find something, that civilization or even world could have been wipeout long before we get there.

''How many light years is the Earth from the nearest Galaxy? If you only account for actual galaxies, it's about 2.5 million light years (Andromeda ). If you accept dwarf/satellite galaxies, then it's about 25,000 light years. ''

imagine, this is light years and human's fastest self made object is just barely 635k km per hour.
The closest star is at just over 4 light years away. If it takes our probes years to reach pluto, imagine reaching the closest star. The universe is just insanely massive, our tiny pea brains cannot even comprehend it.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The closest star is at just over 4 light years away. If it takes our probes years to reach pluto, imagine reaching the closest star. The universe is just insanely massive, our tiny pea brains cannot even comprehend it.
star, yes, but those aren't liveable :D more like reach galaxies where we could find life.

yeah, we can't comprehend.