Violent video games decrease stress hormones, study finds

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

In a surprising twist to the long-debated topic of video game violence, a recent study suggests that playing violent video games might actually decrease stress hormones in some players. Contrary to popular belief, the study found no increase in aggressive tendencies, indicating a more complex relationship between video game content and player responses than previously thought. The findings have been published in the scientific journal Physiology & Behavior.

The results were quite unexpected. Contrary to what many previous studies have suggested, the researchers found no significant change in testosterone levels in either group. More strikingly, cortisol levels actually decreased in the group playing the violent game. This suggests that, rather than increasing stress, playing the violent game might have had a relaxing effect on the players.

Moreover, using the Implicit Association Test, the study evaluated aggressive cognition – essentially, how likely participants were to associate themselves with aggressive thoughts or behaviors. The results showed no significant difference between the group that played the violent game and the group that played the non-violent game. This indicates that short-term exposure to video game violence might not influence a person’s aggressive thoughts or tendencies as much as some earlier research has suggested.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Playing games, being in the lobby chatting with friends in online games should bring down stress, what brings stress is the outside world impacting game time 😅
This is very true. Games are stress reliever for me if I'm down which I rarely am or any other emotion. Even if I'm playing a game like Tlou it calms me down.

Last edited:
Reactions: GameCritic

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Makes sense. I feel great after mowing down hordes of NPCs.

Doing maniac runs of New Vegas and Outer Worlds is funny. Laughing reduces stress.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It must be something very primal in the human makeup...

It's amazing how survival instinct etc from thousands of years ago remain dormant just ready to surface at the specific moment they are required.

Maybe games are close enough to those past experiences.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
It must be something very primal in the human makeup...

It's amazing how survival instinct etc from thousands of years ago remain dormant just ready to surface at the specific moment they are required.

Maybe games are close enough to those past experiences.

Humans weren't designed to sit in an office from 9-5, we are made to be active and out in nature. We are supposed to explore,hunt and forage.

There's a reason we all crave a sense of adventure.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Work has me to do crazy stuff. It’s stressful and gaming for a bit once I get home hits the spot. Unfortunately I need some with a player vs player component to appropriately blow off steam. Not so much violent

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Games are a great place to let out that urge to slap somebody that can build up through a work day, for sure.

Cathartic release is an established concept, no idea why it’s taken this long for academia to accept video games are a great tool for it.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Games are a great place to let out that urge to slap somebody that can build up through a work day, for sure.

Cathartic release is an established concept, no idea why it’s taken this long for academia to accept video games are a great tool for it.
Video games offer so many benefits from stress release, better dexterity to cognitive development. It's factual and tons of studies on it have been conducted but the media just likes to bark up another tree to get clicks, so do politicians.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty