Volition Veterans (Saints Row) Form New Studio Shapeshifter Games |UP| has been working with Inxile studios on Clockwork Revolution'

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Updated...

We’re happy to announce that the newly formed Shapeshifter Games—formed of ex-Volition developers—is working with us to help bring Clockwork Revolution to life.

Shortly after Volition closed, we flew to Illinois and worked with Xbox and the then ex-Volition leadership to secure this new team as our co-development partner. Their wealth of industry experience further bolstering our efforts in developing our upcoming steampunk RPG Clockwork Revolution.
But the story doesn’t start there, our history with Volition goes back to the 90’s as our Studio Head Brian Fargo published their classics at Interplay. “I was very grateful to be able to help secure this new studio and get some truly amazing developers to help make Clockwork a reality. Co-dev groups are almost a given these days, but this one is special for us because of my long history with them going back to the Descent and FreeSpace games.”

inXile President Chris Keenan’s also has some history with the team. "One of the first games I tested in my career was Descent, so I have a special place in my heart for the Parallax/Volition team and history. First priority was ensuring these folks had a place to land on Clockwork Revolution, and we're thankful we were able to get it done so quickly. Bringing in new development partners can be challenging, but this was a rare partnership that felt right from the beginning."
Shapeshifter Games Studio Head, Matt Madigan added “The talented and experienced team that joined Shapeshifter has hit the ground running. We’ve had a lot of support from former Volitionites, and are truly grateful to inXile and Microsoft for the opportunity to assist with the development of a great new IP.”

We’re of course looking forward to sharing more about Clockwork Revolution. . . in due time

1706612172899.png
https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/volition-veterans-form-new-studio-shapeshifter-games.

A group of veteran developers who used to work at Saints Row studio Volition teamed up to form a new studio, named Shapeshifter Games.

The studio, revealed on Linkedin, is headquartered in Champaign, Illinois, and is intended to be a co-development studio.

This means that the plan is to partner with other developers and publishers to support them in the creation of their AAA games.

Studio head Matt Madigan mentions that the goal is "to grow and assist developers and publishers by providing a sustainable workforce model."

More relevant names from Volition are principal producer Rob Loftus, who has taken on the role of studio director - production at Shapeshifter, while franchise creative director Brian Traficante takes on the equivalent role on the creative side.

Traficante himself commented on his own LinkedIn page mentioning that "Working with talented, familiar faces fills him with joy." Loftus mentions that he's "Fortunate to reconnect with colleagues and turn the page on a new adventure," adding that he's hopeful for the formation of similar groups and brighter days ahead.

Among the listed employees on LinkedIn, we see six more veterans from the former team at Volition plus one from Immortals of Aveum developer Ascendant Studios, which was also recently hit by layoffs. Shapeshifter is also currently hiring a Lead Software Engineer.

According to the listing, the studio specializes in open-world games, Unreal Engine 5, console development, and co-development. Interestingly, according to the profile of AJ Nelson, it appears that Shapeshifter is already working as a co-developer on a project for Xbox Game Studios.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I want to say something, but I will probably get Banned!

FML

Also, the guy, second from left looks a bit like @Satoru. in real life, and yes, I have seen pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Why do Xbox partner with such shit lmao
The same reason they hire some ppl not off qualifying experience but other factors, same reason they keep making the wrong moves, etc. They don't care nor are about gaming.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
The sane reason they hire some ppl not off qualifying experience but other factors, same reason they keep making the wrong moves, etc. They don't care nor are about gaming.
Maybe they will listen to their core audience this time and create stuff that their original fans wanted.

Then again, probably not.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Why do Xbox partner with such shit lmao

Funny, I wanted to say they (these devs) didn't learn from the past by betting on the wrong horse (Xbox) again.

But I guess both sides don't have much choice anymore.

Reactions: Luffy123

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
I am glad they were able to reform and keep developing games as they love. Hopefully they do better than Saints Row 2022. Even though I liked it, it was indeed a dumpster fire game over all. I just played it for the mindless shooter that is it and deleted it.

• Shake
Reactions: Nym and Gamernyc78