Warner Bros. Games Officially Acquires the Developer of MultiVersus

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Warner Bros. Games has officially acquired Player First Games, adding the developer behind MultiVersus to its profile.

In an official release sent to IGN, Warner Bros. confirmed that co-founder Tony Huynh and Chris White will retain leadership of the studio, which has led development of the popular Smash Bros-like brawler. Multiversus officially launched in May following early access and open beta releases throughout 2022 and 2023.

via IGN

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I'm surprised by this. I thought Warner Bros. were cutting costs not actually adding devs to the group. Didn't they put out feelers on interested parties to buy the studios?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Okaay Ok GIF by MOODMAN

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
When is PS gonna acquire a fighting game studio? lol

Next we see Saudis buy Arc System Work or a Japanese publisher.

Crazy how Sony owns EVO yet they have 0 presence in the FGC with games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
When is PS gonna acquire a fighting game studio? lol

Next we see Saudis buy Arc System Work or a Japanese publisher.

Crazy how Sony owns EVO yet they have 0 presence in the FGC with games.
They already own SNK.

Anyways, Sony/Playstation already owns the FGC so why do they need a fighting game studio?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
If I remember correctly, dimps are behind many fighters and Sony have some shares in dimps. Shouldn't Sony buy them?

Reactions: Kokoloko

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
They already own SNK.

Anyways, Sony/Playstation already owns the FGC so why do they need a fighting game studio?
Yes Saudis does own SNK but why not own SNK & Capcom or SNK & Sega. You think capitalism stop because they have a small presence or a single franchise that they clearly see continue growing w esports?

Your second quote is comical & short sighted.

At one point Sony had COD marketing nos they don’t. And at one point MS didn’t have the top live service juggernaut franchise but now they do.

Just cause Sony owns EVO don’t mean they have a stranglehold on the FGC especially when PS themselves have 0 fighting games & inherently there competitors Nintendo owns Smash which itself is bigger then EVO if only Nintendo realized what they & supported Smash & the FGC esport scene I’d say EVO would be in danger solely because Nintendo had a fighting game that being Smash which is bigger then EVO & other fighting franchise that show up at EVO

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Who is "dimps"?
They're a Japanese video game company that was founded by former devs from Capcom, Snk back in 2000. They've made a small chunk of games since then DragonBall Z Budokai, some Sonic games, as well as Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4. They've got more just mostly niche stuff.

If I remember correctly, dimps are behind many fighters and Sony have some shares in dimps. Shouldn't Sony buy them?
Sony is one of the owners, the others are Bandai Namco Holdings, Dimps employee stock-sharing group, and Takashi Nishiyama.

Reactions: YeezyDude

YeezyDude

Veteran
17 Jun 2024
Denmark
They're a Japanese video game company that was founded by former devs from Capcom, Snk back in 2000. They've made a small chunk of games since then DragonBall Z Budokai, some Sonic games, as well as Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4. They've got more just mostly niche stuff.

Sony is one of the owners, the others are Bandai Namco Holdings, Dimps employee stock-sharing group, and Takashi Nishiyama.
I see... Why not then? But I hope Sony acquires more than just them. I wouldn't for example mind Tekken been PlayStation exclusive again... Or well at least a console-exclusive game.

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko and Puff

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
I see... Why not then? But I hope Sony acquires more than just them. I wouldn't for example mind Tekken been PlayStation exclusive again... Or well at least a console-exclusive game.
They would have to buy out multiple people just for that so who knows how much that would even cost more then likely not worth the investment. Especially in the profit/loss ration. They don't focus on just console either they do arcades, and mobile. But they don't develop much a year. In 2022 they made Dragon Ball: The Breakers, and Mobile Suit Gundam: Arsenal Base for the arcade. This year all they have is Sword Art Online: Fractured Daydream so every couple years they release a game or 2 that may or maynot make a big profit.

YeezyDude

Veteran
17 Jun 2024
Denmark
They would have to buy out multiple people just for that so who knows how much that would even cost more then likely not worth the investment. Especially in the profit/loss ration. They don't focus on just console either they do arcades, and mobile. But they don't develop much a year. In 2022 they made Dragon Ball: The Breakers, and Mobile Suit Gundam: Arsenal Base for the arcade. This year all they have is Sword Art Online: Fractured Daydream so every couple years they release a game or 2 that may or maynot make a big profit.
Gotcha... Well then I guess let Sony do what makes sense for them to do (y)

Reactions: reziel