Wet Dreams if true: Blizzard is Doomed

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

Imagine spending 70B dollars to buy a dysfunctional publisher, with a shit ton of internal problems that was supposed to save you from gaming irrelevance.

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I can't tell wtf is the narrative on Diablo4. Seems like it's GOOD, lengthy beta period impressions were all GOOD. Final game is GOOD as far as I've played (a few hours). Then internet people act like it is clearly and obviously BAD. Where's the disconnect?

Reactions: Kokoloko

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Imagine spending 70B dollars to buy a dysfunctional publisher, with a shit ton of internal problems that was supposed to save you from gaming irrelevance.
But that situation was what allowed Microsoft to buy they… Microsoft said they took advantage of that mess to bid for Activision.

If Activision was in good shape MS should not even try to buy them.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
But that situation was what allowed Microsoft to buy they… Microsoft said they took advantage of that mess to bid for Activision.

It's like if MS bought Activision in 2009 when they were fully tooled to make Guitar Hero and then said it wasn't about Guitar Hero.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I can't tell wtf is the narrative on Diablo4. Seems like it's GOOD, lengthy beta period impressions were all GOOD. Final game is GOOD as far as I've played (a few hours). Then internet people act like it is clearly and obviously BAD. Where's the disconnect?
Seems like the end game model is bad… the itemization is bad.
The game is still good until you hit the end game.

You can say it is the opposite of what happened with Destiny that had an mediocre campaign at begin but a strong end game support that keep making players going back every week.

OP
OP
ChorizoPicozo

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

Yes. the issue is that MS/Xbox's modus operandi is to buy shit and don't mess around. This is good if the studio/publisher is working like a well-oiled machine. But this is not the case with Blizzard and Activision

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yes. the issue is that MS/Xbox's modus operandi is to buy shit and don't mess around. This is good if the studio/publisher is working like a well-oiled machine. But this is not the case with Blizzard and Activision
What's an example of it working out this way for Xbox?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
IMO even a well-oiled machine suffers with Microsoft management.

I don’t know what happens in the behind scenes but the results are always inferior of what the studio can reach… seems like the MS culture doesn’t allow studios to peak their potential.

The impression is that they hold back studios somehow.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Similar happens a few times. But I get what you mean.

Street Fighter V, beta and gameplay was good. But got hated… ( yes it launched without story mode, but it was still a great fighting game )

Destiny Beta was liked/loved. But then the game itself got worse press and reviews than Battlefield 4 and COD Ghosts, which both were awful Comparatively.
BF had awful performance and the other was arguably the worst mainline COD. But the media had there knives out for Destiny saying it doesnt have enough content.
Even though on Day 1 it had more content then both Battlefield and COD, same price. And the gunplay was equally as good if not better ( subjectively )

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: The Icon

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

They will have to fix this mess and it will take yrs to sought out. It’s just giving more time to Sony to dig in and counter. 70bil seems like a waste they really over paid for a publisher with a lot of systematic issues. Sony bought good studios in good condition but Microsoft shopped in the damage goods discount pile.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Blizzard has been "dying" since Starcraft 2 (which had zero benefits over Starcraft 1, for those who have forgotten) so wake me when other people finally realize it.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's clear now why Zenimax sold.

Nothing they had coming up was good, so the owners took the cash and ran.

Redfail, Stanfail, etc. Those studios are paperweight, the talent has left.

Same with ABK.

They'll make WoW free to play, CoD will be one game GaaS free to play. Everything else is dead. It will go the way of Halo infishit.

The talent will go to better studios.

In a couple years someone higher up at MS will notice the massive fuckup and cancel the whole gaming division.

• fire

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
the closets would be Minecraft i guess. but because there is no pressure to be better, they got stagnated.
Yeah, I think MS kinda screwed up Minecraft by splitting Java and Bedrock. It's kind of a mess with licensing and platform support. My kid and his group of friends have moved on to Roblox.

• Informative
Reactions: ChorizoPicozo

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I haven't played it but what I can tell is the visuals and art design of the game are good because more like Diablo 2, core gameplay is fun, but game is bogged down by level 75-100 grind which has nothing interesting (ie build won't change, you won't get much better gear), core systems like Paragon board are poorly designed, boring to focus on, cumbersome to work with, build variety sucks (or did suck, not sure where it is at now) and several nerfs ruined people's characters so frustration there. If the internet people act like it is bad it must be. For example nobody is watching this on Twitch, content creators are putting out videos where they're almost crying saying they no longer want to focus on Diablo 4, so there is a reason things are so severe.

• brain

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Blizzard is laying people off today so seemingly part of that is correct. So Microsoft spent 70 billion for a dysfunctional, end of its rope Blizzard, a cod franchise that is unsustainable at its current yearly cadence, and king. Like if cod gets delayed for whatever reason that’s like all the value gone.

• fire

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Diablo is cratering worse than Halo Infinite on Xbox. To be fair however, that’s just console — pc should be where the playerbase is but who knows.

Overwatch 2 went f2p and should be indefinitely in the top 10 but still doing the same as it did when it was sold as OW1. No growth for less profits.

All they have now is Warzone. Retail CoD this year will definitely underperform since they won’t have Warzone tethered to it to fluff numbers.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

It doesnt really matter because they still had proofit with Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 has a healthy playerbase.

Kotick only sold Acti/Blizz to avoid prision