What games do you consider the most "Above anything else out there" when they released?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Like the title says, What games do you consider the most above anything else out there at the time when it released?
For me it's super weird because while there are many games that fit this since the NES days, and Super Mario 64 being one of my favorite Childhood games ever. I think Ocarina of Time and the original Resident Evil 4 are the two top games that qualify for this title.
For me Super Mario 64 doesn't really hit it because I played that game for the first time when I was 3 in 1997 so to me 3D games seemed standard despite me also playing Pac Man on an atari before then.

For me I don't really remember a 3D shift in gaming and don't realize how above Super Mario 64 was over anything else but even then I feel like SM64 had a lot of it's spot light taken away from it quickly with games like Tomb Raider, Spyro, and Banjo Coming soon after while Ocarina of Time and Resident Evil 4 felt more eye opening for longer if that makes sense.
But anyway I consider Ocarina of Time and Resident Evil 4 the most because of how well those games were designed for their gameplay, Z targeting just worked flawlessly in OOT and The Over the shoulder camera and laser pointer in RE4 just felt perfect and RE4 pretty much felt like playing a Next Gen game at the time with how amazing it looked and what an improvement the cut scenes and motion capture had over the previous Resident Evil Games.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
MGS3. The little details in a PS2 game haven't been replicated as a whole. No night vision goggles when you enter the cave. No problem, just dick around until the eyes adapt to the darkness. Stamina draining quicker in the mountains due to less air. Stamina going slower in alert because of your adrenaline pumping when caught.

This type of shit from the mid 2000s had more foresight in mechanics than similar games out in the past decade.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
MGS3. The little details in a PS2 game haven't been replicated as a whole. No night vision goggles when you enter the cave. No problem, just dick around until the eyes adapt to the darkness. Stamina draining quicker in the mountains due to less air. Stamina going slower in alert because of your adrenaline pumping when caught.

This type of shit from the mid 2000s had more foresight in mechanics than similar games out in the past decade.
How is the remake compared to the original, I loved what I played of the remake but I often hear complaints of it compared to the original

Last edited:
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I played this game for the first time in 2018 and got to the golden Saucer part and loved every minute of it. This game still holds up as well as any other game this gen. I never beat it though as I got played thru the remake in 2020 and currently playing thru rebirth. I think I'm going to download this on my vita tonight to play at work

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
There's just too many to name, but the ones I've listed below are the ones I see pop-up on all-kinds of lists, even to this very day:
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault ( + all expansions) + Halo 2
Fallout 1 + 2
Freelancer
Hades / Hollow Knight / Shovel Knight
The Last of Us Part 1 + Uncharted 2
Chrono Trigger + Lunar Silver Star
Secret of Mana (OG version)
Bloodborne / Dark Souls 1
Resident Evil 2 (OG version) + Resi 4
Dead Space 2 (PERSONALLY... I think Dead Space 1 is far superior).
Mass Effect 2 (again, I personally think Mass Effect 1 is better).
NBA Street (NFL and FIFA are okay, but I think Basketball has way more staying power) + SSX Tricky
Super Mario Kart
The Walking Dead Season 1 + The Wolf Among Us
Firewatch / What Remains of Edith Finch / Life is Strange Part 1
And, of course, Grand Theft Auto (all)

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
Sonic the Hedgehog
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64
Final Fantasy VII
Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn
Resident Evil 2
Metal Gear Solid
Soul Calibur on Dreamcast
NBA 2K
NFL 2K
Phantasy Star Online
Shenmue
SSX
Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Solid 2
Halo
Ninja Gaiden on Xbox
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Final Fantasy XIII on PS3
Uncharted 2

As for arcade: Every game Sega and Namco ever made, more or less

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddasar

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Final Fantasy VII remake/rebirth, God of War: Ragnarök & Death Stranding come to mind.

Some other titles like Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Shadow of the Collosus, Nioh series, FF VIII, GTA V are up there as well.

Excited for Death Stranding 2 & GTA VI next year.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Syndicate wars
Broken sword
Fantasy zone
Spy Vs spy
Rush 2049
Megalomania
Road rash

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
OG FF7 and Rebirth, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star II, Legend of Dragoon, Actraiser 1

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The original SMB really blazed a trail with its horizontally scrolling levels and "distinct" worlds to go through.
I know that everyone says SMB64 but really Jumping Flash figured out a ton of things that Mario didn't, two sides of the same coin but JF was first.
Second Life, though quickly overrun by perverts, was totally unique at launch, and predated stuff like Gmod and other "creative" games.
GTA's SA and IV went much deeper and harder than anything on the market at the time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Polyh3dron

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
How is the remake compared to the original, I loved what I played of the remake but I often hear complaints of it compared to the original
I don't remember any major difference offhand. I remember being happy enough playing it on PS3 later to not notice an issue. I don't think anyone lost out playing one version and not the other.

Reactions: RE4-Station

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
There's just too many to name, but the ones I've listed below are the ones I see pop-up on all-kinds of lists, even to this very day:
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault ( + all expansions) + Halo 2
Fallout 1 + 2
Freelancer
Hades / Hollow Knight / Shovel Knight
The Last of Us Part 1 + Uncharted 2
Chrono Trigger + Lunar Silver Star
Secret of Mana (OG version)
Bloodborne / Dark Souls 1
Resident Evil 2 (OG version) + Resi 4
Dead Space 2 (PERSONALLY... I think Dead Space 1 is far superior).
Mass Effect 2 (again, I personally think Mass Effect 1 is better).
NBA Street (NFL and FIFA are okay, but I think Basketball has way more staying power) + SSX Tricky
Super Mario Kart
The Walking Dead Season 1 + The Wolf Among Us
Firewatch / What Remains of Edith Finch / Life is Strange Part 1
And, of course, Grand Theft Auto (all)

... Thank you for reading my TED-Talk ;)
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!

• Shake
Reactions: 2spooky5me