What Hacked Files Tell Us About The Studio Behind Spider-Man 2

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Now, various internal documents released online as part of a malicious ransomware hack suggest just how hard this has been to pull off, with studio leaders juggling teams, timelines, and budgets like Tetris blocks in order to ship games that aren’t just excellent but also profitable. They also hint that possible cutbacks within Sony Worldwide Studios may only be adding to the challenge.

Whatever final decisions Insomniac decided to make about its upcoming projects, some internal documents suggest budget cuts demanded by Sony have complicated matters. Presentations earlier in the year point to a rough projected headcount of 500 moving forward. But a September email from Sony specified a full-time employee max headcount of 470, down from its current estimated 485 employees. PowerPoint slides from a September presentation reference “6 potential areas to reduce headcount,” including a few layoffs, not backfilling certain positions, and placing up to five employees on performance improvement plans which might eventually end in them getting fired.

A more recent presentation in November points to potentially more drastic cuts. “Slimming down Ratchet and cutting new IP will not account for the reductions Sony is looking for,” reads a PowerPoint note attributed to Insomniac head Ted Price. “To remove 50-75 people strategically, our best option is to cut deeply into Wolverine and Spider-Man 3, replacing lower performers with team members from Ratchet and new IP.”
That same presentation argues that releasing a standalone Venom game in 2027 would deliver outsized profits and also create a “bridge” to Spider-Man 3, much like Miles Morales did for Spider-Man 2. It’s unclear if the proposal for that game would have alleviated or reduced the need for cuts. The presentation notes attributed to Price point out that those working on Ratchet and the new IP are veterans of the studio, and cutting them would “lose institutional knowledge and leadership that is key for future titles.” The presentation also notes that cuts to teams would create a flight risk that could lead to additional departures

Business plans change, and Sony would not confirm if the discussed cuts are still on the table or already completed. But a notes file referencing a November 9 PlayStation off-site meeting reiterates the 50-75 number of cuts. The notes suggest the cuts are being asked of other PlayStation studios as well, including the line “there will be one studio closure.” Sony did not respond when asked to clarify.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Business plans change, and Sony would not confirm if the discussed cuts are still on the table or already completed. But a notes file referencing a November 9 PlayStation off-site meeting reiterates the 50-75 number of cuts. The notes suggest the cuts are being asked of other PlayStation studios as well, including the line “there will be one studio closure.” Sony did not respond when asked to clarify.
Ok so this is close to November. Damn, terrible.

Reactions: Bryank75

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
If there's one studio closure I'm worried about, it's Media Molecule. Bend might be the 'easiest' to cut in terms of overall PS portfolio, but they really haven't made any big missteps. Their first real AAA game was a hit.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
It’s good their cutting budgets on these projects. they sound Like too much of a financial risk IMO.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If there's one studio closure I'm worried about, it's Media Molecule. Bend might be the 'easiest' to cut in terms of overall PS portfolio, but they really haven't made any big missteps. Their first real AAA game was a hit.
Yeah media molecule comes to mind.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
What a fucking disaster SONY is. Fuck it's even worse behind closed doors than people assume/can already see pre Insomni-Hack from afar.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It’s good their cutting budgets on these projects. they sound Like too much of a financial risk IMO.
How? They are all hits. Sony specifically goes for these expensive AAA because they figured out how to make/market them in a way that they are all selling 10m+.

The real risk here is Sony not making enough of them.

Reactions: Gamernyc78 and Umar
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
How? They are all hits. Sony specifically goes for these expensive AAA because they figured out how to make/market them in a way that they are all selling 10m+.

Thts Def the risk then ppl won't choose Sony over Xbox or others. It's why I game on PS5.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023

Outside of this forun there is a growing annoyance with the buzzword “Sony exclusive.” Iirc it began slowly after the ps4. The problem was with the format which seems to go down to story-based games Without stories to tell. Games like this can work but I think we have an over saturation of them and if it doesn’t stop then the market will crash. It’s notable Nintendo is making more money off their games than Sony is. Their most recent title cost about 200 thousand And Sonys costs about 300 million. They are not factoring in the idea the game could‘ve potentially bomb if it doesn’t reach the 7 million units threshold. Combining that with a Growing number of consumers disliking the style I would say more of these kind of games would only bankrupt the studios.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Outside of this forun there is a growing annoyance with the buzzword “Sony exclusive.” Iirc it began slowly after the ps4. The problem was with the format which seems to go down to story-based games Without stories to tell. Games like this can work but I think we have an over saturation of them and if it doesn’t stop then the market will crash. It’s notable Nintendo is making more money off their games than Sony is. Their most recent title cost about 200 thousand And Sonys costs about 300 million. They are not factoring in the idea the game could‘ve potentially bomb if it doesn’t reach the 7 million units threshold. Combining that with a Growing number of consumers disliking the style I would say more of these kind of games would only bankrupt the studios.
Where is this annoyance coming from? Surely I hope you aren't thinking online discourse represents mass gamers opinions

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Seeing a studio like Insomniac, which is producing hit after hit, under pressure to cut back personnel and scale back games seems like a bad sign.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nah thts just a few anti Sony sites or forum goers. Sony is making the money they are and those games like GOW are selling 10 mil plus for a reason.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What are you talking about? Sony exclusives never sold as well as they are selling on PS4 and PS5. They are critically acclaimed, best selling, tech showcases that are a reference for the entire game industry.

What is going to bomb is PlayStation without their flagship exclusive that got them here. Why does it matter how much they cost if they bring way more than that in profits?

Meanwhile their new GaaS attempts have brought only losses to them so far.

Seeing a studio like Insomniac, that is producing hit after hit, under pressure to cut buck personnel and scale back games seems like a bad sign.
Sony leadership is completely out of touch and has been for a long time, I wonder how long it's going to take to kill their studios at this rate. We already got ND working for years on a canceled project.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Trouble in paradise sadly. I’m all for culling dead wood, but generally nobody bothers if times are great

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Where is this annoyance coming from? Surely I hope you aren't thinking online discourse represents mass gamers opinions

Yes and no. People buy cod but complain the games are bad.. People complain about nintendos game but those people are just not buying Nintendo’s games or buying them anyways lol.

What are you talking about? Sony exclusives never sold as well as they are selling on PS4 and PS5. They are critically acclaimed, best selling, tech showcases that are a reference for the entire game industry.

What is going to bomb is PlayStation without their flagship exclusive that got them here. Why does it matter how much they cost if they bring way more than that in profits?

It does matter how much a product costs to make. If Spider-Man 2 never sold 5 million then they‘d have a huge loss. Also poor game reception like Last of us 2 had does not help the problem.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It does matter how much a product costs to make. If Spider-Man 2 never sold 5 million then they‘d have a huge loss. Also poor game reception like Last of us 2 had does not help the problem.
In what universe did Spider-man ever had a chance to sell 5m? TLoU2 still sold more than 10m+ on a single platform, before the series released and boosted it's sales.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
In what universe did Spider-man ever had a chance to sell 5m? TLoU2 still sold more than 10m+ on a single platform, before the series released and boosted it's sales.
Some people think loud gaming bubbles online represents reality clearly 🤣

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
In what universe did Spider-man ever had a chance to sell 5m? TLoU2 still sold more than 10m+ on a single platform, before the series released and boosted its sales.

The budget alone are just the games though. That’s not factoring in marketing costs or licensing fees. Another Thing is that last of us didn’t sell fast enough. Took several years and now they’re trying to rerelease it on ps5. They can’t sustain this. Developers themselves are saying some of the things I’m saying here as well.