What should new FPS's focus on?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
We are at a crossroads in gaming, with Destiny owned by Sony and COD possibly going to join Doom and Halo (to die) on Xbox. /S

So, with all the talk of new shooters, the recent trend of Battle Royals and bigger and bigger maps...... what should future titles focus on?

Surprise Watching You GIF by Call of Duty

Should they hone in on destruction and advance upon things like Red Faction and more recently Rainbow Six Siege?

Rainbow Six R6 GIF by UbisoftFR

Should they focus on new and emerging concepts / sub-genres such as extraction style shooters like Escape from Tarkov?

Or should they expand the battlefield and add more vehicles than ever? Airplanes, helicopters, cars, tanks, boats, ships etc?

If Sony were making a shooter, should it be fast and frantic, mostly small map gameplay, like COD? Is that what they need?

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Funny thing is Sony has many ips already that check these boxes or are similar. The problem is that most of them are dead.
Should they hone in on destruction and advance upon things like Red Faction and more recently Rainbow Six Siege?
Socom (closet thing to r6s)
Should they focus on new and emerging concepts / sub-genres such as extraction style shooters like Escape from Tarkov?
Factions 2 (I think its obvious this is the direction ND is taking it or at least taking elements from it)
Or should they expand the battlefield and add more vehicles than ever? Airplanes, helicopters, cars, tanks, boats, ships etc?
MAG
If Sony were making a shooter, should it be fast and frantic, mostly small map gameplay, like COD? Is that what they need?

Killzone/Resistance (closest thing as well)

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Funny thing is Sony has many ips already that check these boxes or are similar. The problem is that most of them are dead.

Socom (closet thing to r6s)

Factions 2 (I think its obvious this is the direction ND is taking it or at least taking elements from it)

MAG

Killzone/Resistance (closest thing as well)

They definitely have some franchises that are close enough but Socom was traditionally 3rd person tactical shooter, do you think they'd go to first person?

Factions will also probably be 3rd person.
But I can definitely see it being a big hit and filling the extraction style genre.

ANything you could see providing the 'MilSim' style COD experience or something that would be an alternative to COD?

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
They definitely have some franchises that are close enough but Socom was traditionally 3rd person tactical shooter, do you think they'd go to first person?

Factions will also probably be 3rd person.
But I can definitely see it being a big hit and filling the extraction style genre.

ANything you could see providing the 'MilSim' style COD experience or something that would be an alternative to COD?
With socom i can see sony changing it to first person (Even though i would dislike that) it wouldn't be surprising. Helldivers 2 for example changed from being a top down game to a shooter. Plus they might feel like they would need a cod replacement so they would probably change up the core gameplay too.

Last edited:
  • brain

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They should focus on the centre of the screen!

Seriously, they should focus on giving players a reason to play them Vs the millions of other FPS games out there. Be fucking different!

• they're_right_you_know
D

Deleted member 417

That we don't have Bad Company 2 levels of destruction as a foundation in every fps, 18 years on is a travesty.
Likewise with physics effects from Half-life 2 nearly 20 years on.
That the devs focus on 4k@60 and usually miss on both, instead of 1080@120 with all of the bells and whistles, needs to change.

If anything though, focus more on VR

• fire
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
That we don't have Bad Company 2 levels of destruction as a foundation in every fps, 18 years on is a travesty.
That the devs focus on 4k@60 and usually miss on both, instead of 1080@120 with all of the bells and whistles, needs to change.

I loved BC2, what a game.... if we were going by that progress, we would be way ahead of where we are.

It's like games companies said 'Ooops we've given them too much, better pull back on everything we are delivering'

I mean, what happened to the Battlefield series from BF4? When we had whole maps that would change and buildings collapsing after certain damage etc....

Even during PS2, Red Faction multiplayer. you could use a grenade launcher to dig a hole about 100 meters deep in the side of the level. The natural evolution should have been to be able to collapse the tunnel behind you or to tunnel under the enemies etc.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
New FPS should focus on innovative gameplay. The genre has been done to death and there's only so many times you can retread familiar territory.

>More interactive environments. Less focus on graphics and more focus on altering the battlefield to your advantage - something fortnite realized and became successful from
>More large-scale strategy. IMO the most engaging FPS games are games where map positioning and control matter far more than k/d, making teamwork and communication a must. For example let's say we had an FPS that was the Europe during WW2, and depending on who won the individual matches you would take or lose territory on the overall strategic map, and the campaign played out over the course of a 3 month season.

D

Deleted member 417

New FPS should focus on innovative gameplay. The genre has been done to death and there's only so many times you can retread familiar territory.

>More interactive environments. Less focus on graphics and more focus on altering the battlefield to your advantage - something fortnite realized and became successful from
>More large-scale strategy. IMO the most engaging FPS games are games where map positioning and control matter far more than k/d, making teamwork and communication a must. For example let's say we had an FPS that was the Europe during WW2, and depending on who won the individual matches you would take or lose territory on the overall strategic map, and the campaign played out over the course of a 3 month season.
Command and conquer renegade and cross-genre abilities should be added to FPS's. I would like to see that format tried again.

Kingdom Under Fire style massive battles, there you are the hero strategically commanding battalions to attack enemies

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

Good level design is way more important than destruction in a shooter

Reactions: Deleted member 417

EN250

17 Feb 2023
So, with all the talk of new shooters, the recent trend of Battle Royals and bigger and bigger maps...... what should future titles focus on?

😬 BR is current gen hero shooter thingy of 8th gen that was going to be the next big thing till BR appeared, same way hardcore dudebro military shooters were the next big thing back in 7th gen lmao

Going by what I played from BF alone the last few years, game dev seems to have a threshold that can't just overcome

BFV tried some huge maps and at that point it was annoying to play because moving to secure A point from B point or C point took so much time to reach it was awful and that's without taking in consideration the camper hiding somewhere to score a cheap headshot when you're running like an idiot trying to reach said point

BF2042 tried 128 players and it was a complete unbalanced disaster and that also goes for the vehicles, people were spaming hovercrafts that straight up could drive on vertical walls and reach the roof of towers :ROFLMAO:

Destruction and vehicles should be thing going forward, full on, not just cinematic/spectacle only, want to get in a tank and blow up a house/building, so then be able to pass through its rubble in every place on the map

• thisistheway

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Cause good level design breaks down when you can plow through a wall. It also means all level design needs to be created around the concept of destructables, and destruction needs to be as predictable and repeatable as possible in an online environment without breaking the engine or causing server issues

You end up with basic level design more focused on allowing destruction without anything breaking down over well considered maps designed to ensure specific encounters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I can’t predict where the genre will go. I play a lot of shooters but I don’t necessarily like all of them.

And of course I’m looking at this from a PvP perpespective. Arena PvP is no longer where the money is.

And I don’t actually like BRs at all. I hate the dead time between engagements and how sparse the are. It’s not my style at all.

Tarkov-likes may be the next big thing but time will tell since that kind of game hasn’t hit console yet.

As far as single player? I dunno. Hopefully no more open world shooters… on pc it seems to be going more and more towards the surival game route.

I miss traditinal level based shooter tho. I want to shoot things every second. Not aimlessly wander and chase question marks on a map like some dogshit recycled Ubisoft game.

Last edited:

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
If they are going single player, they should focus on AI. It’s pretty sad that we haven’t seen a big shooter with a focus on great AI since like… FEAR 2. Or even a shooter that actually has really good AI.

If it’s MP, we can wish all we want but the focus is going to stay on battle royale and everyone is going to start doing Tarkov style extraction. I highly doubt they go for the realism in Tarkov, I don’t think us console plebs could handle it. There will be a bigger focus on the PvPvE stuff that has become popular in competitive games too.