What would an "ideal" gaming industry look like to you?

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Hello all, I was just reflecting on all the complaints everyone has about the industry these days.

It made me wonder, what would the ideal gaming industry be?

Did the PS1 or PS3 era more closely resemble an ideal situation for the gaming sector?

Who should be the platform holders, how many? Who should be the leading publishers?

Could we get the EA of the 360 generation back?

Outline what would be the best gaming industry in your opinion...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think it's fine as it is now, I'd just would like that -not sure if thanks to AI or how- games wouldn't require that long to be made.

Something I miss is full cross-buy/cross-save (a.k.a. cross-progression) between PS and PC being something standard, something I assume will be implemented with the upcoming PC PSN store.

Because right now two of the main games I play, Helldivers 2 and Street Fighter 6 (the only two where I double dipped this gen) don't support it. I'd love to merge the progression in both as done with other games, or between different PS devices. Because by default I prefer to play in the console, but sometimes play in the laptop when elsewhere.

And would also be nice in a PC handheld (I don't have one now).

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
I also think its fine as is for the most part. Here are a few things I would like to see continue or change:

Continuation of a mix of System Specific games AND multiplatform games, not everything should be on every screen
No Games as Service on SP Games - F’ing stop doing it!
Continued vs declining Physical support. And suppport from console makers for put Indy games on disc
Free online play. Screw MS for starting this abomination.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
No major issues or complaints outside of many games that im interested in playing always releasing around the same damn time (ugh) and while I rarely care about live service games, there's at times one im interested in playing but it can't be played and completed solo which eliminates my interest.

Overall, this generation has been great for the most part at least for me and I have over 40 games on my undated future game list with many more to be added over the coming months and years.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Free online for consoles

Remove microtransactions entirely, everything must be unlockable just from playing the game. And not too grindy

Broken and poorly optimized games will not be allowed to be sold. A few minor bugs are understandable but all games must be fully functional on day 1

All AA/AAA games released on console must have a physical release

No more mass layoffs unless it’s fully justified, like a studio releasing a major flop. Too many of these mass layoffs are happening for no reason other than greed.

24 Jun 2022
-One were SEGA and SNK still made gaming consoles
-One where arcades were still relevant
-One where games like Katamari Damacy, LSD: Dream Simulator, Planet Laika etc. weren't just mainly exclusive to indie PC stores or Steam
-One where SIE didn't relocate main headquarters to California
-One where Microsoft kept Seamus Blackley, Ed Fries, Peter Moore, J Allard and even Don Mattrick
-One where Phil Spencer was never given reign to lead Xbox
-One where Ken Kutaragi remained at Sony
-One where Ken Kutaragi and Mark Cerny worked together to evolve CELL processor for PS4
-One where Nintendo kept RARE
-One where the 64DD was the default physical medium for the N64 instead of an add-on
-One where the Dreamcast didn't rush a launch in Japan and missed out on DVD
-One where games like Dancing Eyes could come out and idiots didn't cry about "the male gaze"
-One where gaming didn't become so mainstream that Hollywood decided to cram all its BS into the gaming space

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
- One where we get multiple VR games like Half-Life Alyx every year.

- One whe no company dares charging for online multiplayer functionality.

- One where a studio like ND doesn't take close to half a decade after releasing their last new game to announce a new one.

- One where people are naturally excited about the future without the need of copious amounts of copium and rumors.

Reactions: Kokoloko

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024
A united, stronger partnership between PS, Capcom and Square Enix.

Japanese developers relying less on Western game engines and maximizing their own in-house ones (Capcom made DMC1, Onimusha 1, RE4 and Clock Tower 3 using one engine).

Less reliance on Unreal and Unity in The West.

Clout Chasers, shills and journalists getting dragged through the mud and eventually banned forever from all gaming related things.

All companies stop relying on social media, including posting information and/or for customer support. It’s plain lazy, unprofessional, and cheap.

Reactions: JAHGamer

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
1. True platform exclusives, to make use of the strengths and overcome the limitations of the consoles, ideally using custom engines

2. Less reliance on day-1 patches when shipping games

3. No mandatory online for single-player games. Games on disc should be playable without needing downloads or patches

4. A possibility to backup game updates on consoles; possibility to download game updates externally for consoles and update via USB

5. Free online play on console

6. Every single-player game should be available physically

7. Less open-world, especially if unnecessary (e.g. Elden Ring)

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
hmmm…

Whichever future leaves Phil Spencer unemployed would be the correct one.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
All games on PC for preservation

Xbox doing better, forcing Playstation to up their game.

More competition to steam on the PC space.

No woke crap. Bring 90s 00s attitude back.

Intel and AMD bring more competition on the graphics card market.

Games with licenses can continue being sold indefinitely.

If a game is not properly optimized, review scores heavily reflect that.

Less draconian Nintendo.

Lower lead time for games, even if they means their scope is reduced.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Konami still making games.

Squaresoft in their peak like the PS1 days not under the helm of Enix.

No paid Online.

More focus on Physics in games.

Sony keeping their games exclusive like Nintendo. Same for Microsoft.

Gives the consoles identity and a reason to buy them.