Which annoucement format is better: press conference or pre-recorded stream

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
E3, Gamecoms, Tokyo Games Show?

Seem nowadays most of them are pre-recorded rather the live demo which pretty boring .
I always preferred the live demo but for me it's all about pacing and quality size of info. Nothing tops the E3 live demo of Uncharted 2 tht floored everyone.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Pre-recorded clearly works better everyone who isn't a clout-chasing journalist or outsider rooting for tech problems.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Live events were awesome like Sony's E3 2016 or Microsoft's E3 2018 but I prefer digital shows because it cuts out all the fluff and unless it's the stream itself or your ISP, there shouldn't be any tech issues.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I prefer the E3 days. Nintendo does a Decent to Great job of pre recorded stuff. I guess its what material you show.
The E3 with the God of War reveal plus Final Fantasy 7 Remake/ Last Guardian reveal was pretty cool for PS fans.
Plus Im huge Shen Mue fan so that event blew my head

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
E3 / PSX by far... 2015 and 2016 E3s were my favourite ever.

You can't beat the energy and anticipation.

I really hope they go back to that style in the near future, a fully live event with fans invited and a GOW 2018 level reveal.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
E3 / PSX by far... 2015 and 2016 E3s were my favourite ever.

You can't beat the energy and anticipation.

I really hope they go back to that style in the near future, a fully live event with fans invited and a GOW 2018 level reveal.
And invite me to the theater like thy use to do! I would go every year. I have alot of pics of those events. Maybe I'll make a thread and post.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
depends. what is your cup of tea? for me, live shows are more personal, done with love and passion, better pacing..

pre recorded is just dry, with more ads and other flush, most are with bad pacing and just punching trailer after trailer.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I prefer pre-recorded video.

It's better edited, keeping a better pace in transitions and includes more game and less filler talks, often by random guests. Plus realization shows what it's interesting, there's no random zooms or the camera looking at the guy talking instead of showing in full screen the gameplay he's commenting.

In addition to this, if there's an speaker who doesn't properly speak English they include subtitles.

There isn't streaming issues or failing screens or game builds. The gameplay shown is better controlled since isn't played live.

You can check the recent CES conference, or all the E3 conferences excluding the 2-3 best ever ones.

Maybe they could do a mix: a live event where the CEO enters to make a 1 minute introduction speech and then the rest of the conference is a pre-recorded video. Then at the end he appears again to say thanks and goodbye.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It doesn't have to be live, but pre-recorded doesn't have to be how it is.

Basically all of the Post-E3 "State of Play" type first party videos have an incredibly boring format with narrators that sound like AI bots. Nintendo is particularly insane with it due to the weird peter pan vibes of the aging execs, unappealing games and poor translation. Playstation is only a little better. In Xbox's last round of vids, I liked how they showcased the developers along with the games. Everyone should be doing that.

If Sony went back to the big stage show, but it was pre-recorded, that would be great. The Jack Tretton era was the best for this. In 2008, when these shows still featured a lot of business stats, Media Molecule built a LittleBigPlanet level for it rather than boring slides:

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I prefer huge Sony TGS show with all of them being Japanese AAA and AA games announcements, also without any indies and western games(one or two Sony first-party games like Spider-man or GOW or GOT are acceptable) 😂.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Live events by a mile. There was just something special about them and we had great ones in the first half of the PS4. The God of War 2018 on stage demo with the live orchestra, the mind-blowing Uncharted 4 demo where the controller wasn't working, FFVII Remake reveal, Bloodborne reveal.

PS5 Sony event were pretty much all lame and unremarkable.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
No one believed this was possible including the professionals beforehand, it was miles ahead of anything out at the time. This live demo during the event left ppl speechless and talking for years about what ND did in creating this graphical masterpiece on console. Nothing will beat this and the crowd was thoroughly into it.

Currently replaying another masterpiece...

1705323872600.png

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom