Why do people insist on Sony competing with gamepass?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Are they dumb or naive? Xbox has stated countless times before that gamepass in its current form is losing them money. Yet people want Sony to adapt a similar model and lose money too. Me personally I would rather see the company whose entertainment I enjoy to succeed in the long run and stick around for a while .

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Are they dumb or naive? Xbox has stated countless times before that gamepass in its current form is losing them money. Yet people want Sony to adapt a similar model and lose money, too. Personally, I would rather see the company whose entertainment I enjoy to succeed in the long run and stick around for a while .
They don't want to spend large chunks of money to buy a game nowadays. Completely forgetting that companies use that money as a drive to better their franchises. PlayStation should just continue what their doing with their buisness model for their subscription.
1. Put games that already had their time to shine in their subscription.
2. Continue offering time trials for games that are somewhat new. Gives consumers more then enough time to try a game and decide to buy it if they want to continue it or not which leans more to consumer and developer balance.

Their competition is doing it all wrong you have a less then 10% chance of people supporting the developer if you give them the option to play the whole game. Which created a ****ing hive mind that is not good for the industry.

Reactions: Box

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
1 Microsoft made subscription service
2 it became at least somewhat profitable to utilize it
3 it was adopted into Sonys game console

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I think they want Sony to go toe to toe financially with Microsoft, so they know Microsoft can win that battle.

They know Sony loses hundreds of millions and possibly billions if they put their games straight into PSPlus.

I also think there is an element of Xbox fans that also own PS5's that do not want to pay for the games, they just want to play the game to both experience it and gather ammunition for internet / console wars. But they don't want Sony to gain anything from them.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Because everyone wants perceivably free shit and will sell their souls for discounts.

When “pro-consumer” turns developers to dust it’s in favor of hurting gaming more than anything else.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Because subscription/online gaming service just like movies may be the future. Microsoft did not make subscription, Sega tried a form of it (pay to play) way before this, on live had it's streaming, etc. Ppl never thought Netflix would be the future, now low and behold theyve stated they make 4 billion profit off of 8 billion revenue lol after they lost money for so many years. Xbox isn't doing something new they are just trying to double down on what others have trued before bcus for them it's a long term investment tht will eventually earn profit.

This isn't just competing it's evolving and staying up with the times the same way psnow has been around for a long time and now Xbox comes with Xcloud.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
LOL Plus existed before Gamepass and did not even paywall online multiplayer originally.

Lastly, Gamepass is not profitable.

Reactions: Johnic

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because Xbox is failing and they want to drag the entire industry down. That narrative only comes from Xbox radicals.
100%
Media were on it at first but recently I think that narrative is dead. Everyone knows it doesnt work. Give it another year of Activision not making much difference and then it will be dead for sure

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Are they dumb or naive? Xbox has stated countless times before that gamepass in its current form is losing them money. Yet people want Sony to adapt a similar model and lose money too. Me personally I would rather see the company whose entertainment I enjoy to succeed in the long run and stick around for a while .
Well, they are competing: Gamepass is a game subscripton made to compete against the previously released PS Now. Now they have other game subs merged: Gold and PS+. Gold was also a MS copy of the Sony one.

Sony's approach (also result of copying a few good things of the MS game subs) has way more subscribers, revenue and a better catalog. And it's a profitable approach for them, while the 'day one on GP' must generate huge loses.

In the past Gamepass had a great growth in userbase -maybe due to free months or $1 deals available on a lot of places, so maybe a huge portion of them weren't generating revenue or only a little- but now has been stagnant for a while.

Maybe adding ABK games will help GP a bit them but guess what: ABK games now can be available in other game subs including the Sony one via Ubisoft and maybe even at the same time. So the advantage of GP in that front will be minimal if there's one.

So I think Sony should avoid the 'day one on GP' failed strategy and continue with the current Sony successful strategy.

1 MS copied with Gold the previously existing PS+, and with GP the previously existing PS Now. In fact many things that MS uses on game subs (like game streaming, or to stream games via phone internet lines) are patented by Sony, even if MS in a few cases brought it to the market a few of these things (like streaming to phones) before. Meaning, MS pays Sony for using them.
2 We saw MS spent over a billion per year signing 3rd party games for GP. Add there server costs and 1st party and 3rd party sales revenue lost due to including games day one on GP. This is way more money than the generated by MS with game subs, so can't be profitable.
3 No, see point 1. Sony only copied the addition of a multitiered approach to add intermediate tier to download the catalog they had for streaming, and a few other minor things. But in game subs traditionally Sony innovates and leads, and MS is the one who copies years later.

Last edited:

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
LOL Plus existed before Gamepass and did not even paywall online multiplayer originally.

Lastly, Gamepass is not profitable.

I agree gamepass isn’t profitable. I’m not keeping track of all that but all I can tell you is that they wouldn’t be making New subscription services without any real foreseeable gain. All three want you to pay for a subscription service and for individual studios it may be more profitable if they all try offering a subscription For their games. Like ea makes one for their games capcom makes one for their games etc .They want a live service future And really I think that’s just going to fail as consumers could just reject it altogether.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Because Xbox is failing and they want to drag the entire industry down. That narrative only comes from Xbox radicals.
I think they want Sony to go toe to toe financially with Microsoft, so they know Microsoft can win that battle.

They know Sony loses hundreds of millions and possibly billions if they put their games straight into PSPlus.

I also think there is an element of Xbox fans that also own PS5's that do not want to pay for the games, they just want to play the game to both experience it and gather ammunition for internet / console wars. But they don't want Sony to gain anything from them.
Because it would legitimate and acknowledge MS’s strategy as the winning and correct one. Also, it would stablish MS and the trend setter and Sony as the follower.
It’s as simple as that. They want validation.
These 3 reasons sum it up perfectly .....

1. They know Xbox is in an awful position...and misery loves company. It's also the same reason why Xbox fanboys want day/date PC releases more than PC gamers, because they know how bad it really is and want PS fans to suffer alongside them.

2. They know Xbox is taking huge losses, but will never admit it. Which is why they tell Sony to do it cuz they know it will kill them financially, and they want PS to die.

3. It validates them, everytime Sony stupidly follows in Microsoft's footsteps with PC, cloud, subscription services, they cheer it on like "See we told you so!!! Phil saw the future before anyone else!! Now Sony is playing catch up !! Oh my god he's such an amazing visionary!!"

Braindead Xbox fanboys and shills like Culteastwood are the only ones that are asking for this crap, these guys are such losers.

8Qk5QtP.jpg

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
These 3 reasons sum it up perfectly .....

1. They know Xbox is in an awful position...and misery loves company. It's also the same reason why Xbox fanboys want day/date PC releases more than PC gamers, because they know how bad it really is and want PS fans to suffer alongside them.

2. They know Xbox is taking huge losses, but will never admit it. Which is why they tell Sony to do it cuz they know it will kill them financially, and they want PS to die.

3. It validates them, everytime Sony stupidly follows in Microsoft's footsteps with PC, cloud, subscription services, they cheer it on like "See we told you so!!! Phil saw the future before anyone else!! Now Sony is playing catch up !! Oh my god he's such an amazing visionary!!"

Braindead Xbox fanboys and shills like Culteastwood are the only ones that are asking for this crap, these guys are such losers.

8Qk5QtP.jpg

The minute anyone sees Colt say something like that about PlayStation, you know it's the opposite that is the truth.

I don't know how it isn't apparent to PS leaders that they have made these mistakes regarding PC ports etc.

Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
The minute anyone sees Colt say something like that about PlayStation, you know it's the opposite that is the truth.

I don't know how it isn't apparent to PS leaders that they have made these mistakes regarding PC ports etc.
Exactly, they see how PC ports slowed down Guerilla with non stop HZD patches and Naughty Dog with non stop TLOU Remake patches, on top of the abysmal sales and instead of reconsidering, they're doubling down with trophies and day/date live service games. And there are rumors that they're amping up PC hiring in hopes of a PS launcher with day and date single player game releases. 😑 I think Microsoft might have some actual insiders at Sony like how they now have an ex Microsoft employee on the board of directors at Nintendo and they had Mike Ybarra as Blizzard president. I wouldn't be surprised if they've infiltrated PlayStation as well !

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
GamePass is a result of Microsoft admitting they cant beat Sony in a traditional console market. Much like how Nintendo bowed out and began experimenting with lower tier less traditional hardware. Its wise of Sony to have a direct response to GamePass in one form or another.

Reactions: JAHGamer