Why doesn't Microsoft just create new studios instead of buying them?

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
You can’t build a successful creative enterprise from the ground up in a culture driven by executives and middle managers.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
They are trying to acquire proven talent and existing market share now... Also, taking existing games (some major or at least well known with a dedicated fan base) away from the competition (mostly Sony).

That has mostly failed, they're on a buying spree since 2017 and nothing interesting has come out of their grand plan so far

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I remember Steve Jobs talking about MS and I think it ties into your question:

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste."

"Bill is basically unimaginative and has never invented anything, which is why I think he's more comfortable now in philanthropy than technology. He just shamelessly ripped off other people's ideas."

Source.

Kind of sums it up nicely, I think, especially the part about ripping of other people's ideas. It's how the company started and how they've continued to this day. During the 360 era, they did have some leadership with vision, but those days are long gone. Now it's all about controlling the market with no room for the creativity and patience required to create great games.

Reactions: Box

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Kind of sums it up nicely, I think, especially the part about ripping of other people's ideas. It's how the company started and how they've continued to this day. During the 360 era, they did have some leadership with vision, but those days are long gone. Now it's all about controlling the market with no room for the creativity and patience required to create great games.
I prefer the "of you build it they will come" kind of approach.

Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I prefer the "of you build it they will come" kind of approach.

As do I. Give me a great product and I'll happily buy it. That's one of the reasons MS doesn't appeal to me. They just can't help themselves from trying to compel people to buy into their products and services. You can see it in their Game Pass strategy - just keep acquiring and making traditionally third-party games exclusive until people have no choice but to sub. Or their not so subtle strategy to shift their own player base onto it whether they want it or not.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I remember Steve Jobs talking about MS and I think it ties into your question:

Source.

Yes, just like Apple or any other big company, MS never really invented anything and only ripped off and slightly tweaked someone else's ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: laynelane