Why haven't Sony purchased Arrowhead, but purchased Haven and Firewalk?

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
they worked with Arrowhead for longer, since 2015 with Helldivers 1, they got so scared of losing Concord and FairGame$ Devs that they've purchased these two studios before their games even released to public reaction, but they didn't purchase Arrowhead prior to releasing Helldivers 2, i think they had no faith in HD2 success 🤔

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Arrowhead arent (imo) good enough to be PS 1st party.

They have some good game design but the technical aspect and their organizational structure and lack of solid QA means they aren't up to Sony standard.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
There's no need to purchase them until they have proven themselves, let see what state Helldivers 2 will be in come next year

But they should still court them to make sure no one else attempts a buyout

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
Why do you want megacorps to buy out game developers
Being owned by someone else means you have to cater to that someone else and are at the beck, call, and mercy of that someone else
If you like Arrowhead's games as they are, wouldn't you want to make sure they stay the way they are?

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Buying Firewalk was a bad idea. Concord looks mediocore. They bought them because of that? lol

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Buying Firewalk was a bad idea. Concord looks mediocore. They bought them because of that? lol

Firewalk will be the next Bungie or Respawn given time.

Mark my words.

Sony are trying to kill their dependency on Activision Blizzard games.

They have their own Hero shooter and I have no doubt it will be competent.

Helldivers 2 looked worse and look how that turned out.

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
Firewalk will be the next Bungie or Respawn given time.

Mark my words.

Sony are trying to kill their dependency on Activision Blizzard games.

They have their own Hero shooter and I have no doubt it will be competent.

Helldivers 2 looked worse and look how that turned out.
With how it currently stands, Firewalk can be lucky if they survive after the launch of Concord, let alone be the next Bungie or Respawn.

Hype and interest on Concord is at an all time low.

Helldivers 2 since one year until their launch never had any negativity surrounding them. Since their first gameplay trailer it was generally surrounded by positivity and curiousity.

I genuinely want Concord to succeed but it may be a game that currently not many are interested in.

Reactions: Shadow2027

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
With how it currently stands, Firewalk can be lucky if they survive after the launch of Concord, let alone be the next Bungie or Respawn.

Helldivers 2 since one year until their launch never had any negativity surrounding them. Since their first gameplay trailer it was generally surrounded by positivity and curiousity.

I genuinely want Concord to succeed but it may be a game that currently not many are interested in.

You don’t think Sony took this situation into consideration before acquiring them.

Everyone including Sony know GaaS games are very risky.

Silly to acquire them only to close them down if a game fails.

Then what? Acquire another studio to make a GaaS game? Back to square one.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't know how easy it was to tell while Helldivers 2 was being made that is was a great game but close to release it must've been obvious if you actually got to play. It's a similar situation to Bloodborne in my view, Sony had access and was able to see a great game being developed but was too afraid to pull the trigger on an acquisition while it was mutually beneficial to do so.

The moment Fairgame$ was shown I knew it was going to be garbage and I was instantly jaded.

For concord it took me until a few second on that second cinematic trailer to realize it was going to be trash.

Reactions: Shadow2027

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Ultimately if Concord fails they will take the talent & say “hey concord fail but we like the gameplay can you do this with say SOCOM, MAG or Warhawk” all 3 of those titles can be hero shooters aswell so it wouldn’t be far fetch or difficult to transition. A Modern SOCOM, MAG, Warhawk would look like rainbow 6 siege but w the gameplay of those titles which I think 2/3 would succeed. MAG can easily compete with Battlefield, BF only sells 5-10 million & MAG gameplay being 250 player first person military shooter 125v125 in this era would be interesting there’s no multiplayer game like & battlefield only goes up to 65v65 I haven’t kept up with battlefield but I know it isn’t in a good state.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I'm wondering if they got a really good deal with probably monsters.

It might still be a good deal, if the gameplay is solid.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony is full of bad decisions lately. Notice how all of the headlines are rumors and leaks of what could be at Xbox’s show, which actually sounds like a more traditional e3 show. Meanwhile defacto market leader has Chinese vaporware, DEI GAAS, and mid tier budget mascot game. Just put your boot on the opponents neck while their at their weakest?

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
They have to want to sell. They've said they dont want to