Sony PlayStation’s new smartphone/mobile games team (Verge). Is Sony not focusing enough on mobile?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Sony wants 20 percent of new games to be on smartphones by 2025, and last August it announced a new PlayStation Studios Mobile Division to help make that happen. But you should know that what Sony’s building doesn’t look like a new game studio that will produce its own games, nor, say, a way to port Sony’s biggest games to phones the way they’re getting ported to PC.

17 current and former job postings suggest that PlayStation Studios Mobile is more of a cross-functional management, strategy, licensing, and support team.
They figure what PlayStation intellectual property would best fit a mobile phone, help dish out that licensed IP to internal and external game studios alike, oversee the titles, make sure the final games live up to Sony’s expectations — and maybe invest or even acquire external developers if there’s strategic value in it.
Here’s the description for a Senior External Producer role, for example:
Be an ambassador for PlayStation, collaborating with top mobile game developers in evaluating, producing and releasing PlayStation Studios Mobile games at the highest level of quality, on time and on budget.
And many roles ask prospective employees to have a “proven track record” with free-to-play games specifically. I’ve only seen one game designer role so far, and its primary responsibility is: “Support game design for internal projects and provide consultation for projects with external partners on mobile F2P systems, economy management and retention features.”

Tried and true, at least for console
Leaning on external studios wouldn’t be surprising: it’s a formula that’s worked for Sony in the past. Many lauded first-party and third-party games have come out of Sony’s PlayStation Studios (formerly Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios), even if Sony did briefly try to pretend the brand was solely about its own first-party exclusives when the PS5 first launched.
Besides, this is the third time Sony’s tried to get smartphone gaming off the ground, following its failed PlayStation Mobile platform and its WayForward studio that’s only produced two games (Everybody’s Golf and Disgaea RPG) specifically for the Japanese market. (Sony was also preparing to bring its PlayStation Now cloud gaming service to phones, I discovered in 2021, but let’s not count that since Sony never announced it.)
Some of the postings describe the group as a “small but quickly growing team” where employees will “wear many hats and contribute to the nascent culture for mobile game design at PlayStation Studios while championing the efforts across the company.”
The job postings do make it seem like there’s real interest in tapping Sony’s internal studios to produce the games, too, should those efforts be championed successfully. The company’s head of mobile product describes his job as including both externally and internally developed titles:

Responsible for delivery of PlayStation Studios quality mobile titles, including internally developed within existing & acquired studios and externally developed via licensing, co-development and co-publishing partnerships.
Most current roles are for product managers and external producers in San Mateo and Amsterdam; the company’s also hiring a Director of Mobile Engineering and a product strategy analyst. Previously, Sony also went looking for a finance manager, directors of mobile product management, business development and studio operations, and a Korean translator in Amsterdam.
According to their LinkedIn pages, Sony’s hires currently appear to include:
  • Nicola Sebastiani as head of mobile; she formerly was head of content for Apple Arcade
  • Olivier Courtemanche as head of mobile product; he was formerly director of product for Zynga and briefly head of content for Meta’s Horizon. Amusingly, Sony appears to have built the role specifically for him:

Hope nobody else applied for this job!

Hope nobody else applied for this job! Screenshot by Sean Hollister / The Verge
  • Kris Davis as head of mobile business development; he spent seven years doing that job for Kabam
  • Uyen Uyen Ton Nu as head of mobile marketing; she spent eight years doing that for Super Evil Megacorp (that studio, by the way, is working on a project for Netflix’s mobile games lineup)
  • Justin Kubiak in licensing; he was former VP of mobile publishing at NCSoft and previously head of games partnerships for Samsung
We’re definitely eager to see what they come up with. Sony has previously said that Savage Game Studios, the first group that PlayStation acquired to produce mobile games, already has “a new unannounced AAA mobile live service action game” in the works. Their job postings show they’re looking for experience with the Unreal Engine.
Nintendo also recently stood up a new company with partner DeNA (co-developer of Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, etc) to potentially produce more mobile games. And like Sony, Netflix also leans on external partners for its own mobile titles, though it’s also taken the Apple Arcade strategy of bundling games you previously had to buy into its paid subscription

Also..

Mobile is where the real money is at, Fate Grand Order has made over $7 billion dollars which is larger than Fortnite which only made $5.5 billion

So why is Sony wasting time with PC ports? Why not invest more in Mobile? Steam at most has 100 million users while Mobile is at like 3.5 billion users.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yea I kinda expect this to be sorta significant. Just hope these product showcases aren’t tethered to console showings/events.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I remember that back in 2007 Sony released a God of War game for Jave mobile phones. It was pretty nice back then.

I assume this time they'll try to have other types of games: instead of trying to adapt their top tier single player blockbuster adventures as they are, I think they'll adapt some IPs that better suit the market, more casual and family friendly (matching the main audience of the platform) to the genres that work better on mobile.

And in addition to this, I thnk a few of their MP GaaS will also have a mobile version, like Fortnite or Genshin Impact.

And on top of that, I think they'll push hard also the possibility to use cloud gaming or remote play on mobile for the people who want to play the main SP blockbusters on mobile.

Or well, this is what I'd do.

Last edited:

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
I remember that back in 2007 Sony released a God of War game for Jave mobile phones. It was pretty nice back then.

I assume this time they'll try to have other types of games: instead of trying to adapt their top tier single player blockbuster adventures as they are, I think they'll adapt some IPs that better suit the market, more casual and family friendly (matching the main audience of the platform) to the genres that work better on mobile.

And in addition to this, I thnk a few of their MP GaaS will also have a mobile version, like Fortnite or Genshin Impact.

And on top of that, I think they'll push hard also the possibility to use cloud gaming or remote play on mobile for the people who want to play the main SP blockbusters on mobile.

Or well, this is what I'd do.
Do you remember the ratchet and clank game

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'll never play anything on my phone. Good luck with this but only bad things can come out of it, specially if they find success in it. Here comes a bunch of Horizon mobile games.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
They should've just hired Aniplex to lead this initiative. They have success in monetizing mobile games. Sony's lousy PC port strategy doesn't give me hope though that they'll have meaningful success in the mobile market. But at least licensing out your IP to mobile developers should be harder to mess up than porting entire games.

24 Jun 2022
Honestly, if this means we can potentially get a new Parappa/UmJammer or Tomba, or Jet Moto etc., I'm down for it. Those would never get AAA treatment today, but they would never need it either IMHO. Make some high-quality AA-style indies with those properties, take a page from SEGA in working with quality external teams on some of those (like SEGA did with Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4), and eventually those games could be ported over to PS4/PS5, maybe some could even be Day 1 drops into PS+ (that isn't to say they may be Day 1 PS/mobile releases, just that when they do come over to PS they could go into PS+, but I guess it'd depend on the game).

Take a page from Apple, too; they have some great stuff on Apple Arcade like Fantasian. Imagine if Sony did an Arc the Lad remake in that type of visual style for mobile and then brought that over to PS consoles as a $30 digital release and/or release into some PS+ tier? I'd like to see more stuff like that from Sony to bring back some of that variety they had during the PS3 era and if that means needing to also make that content for mobile, so be it.

Mobile should be totally separate to PlayStation IMO.

PC should also not come under PlayStation..... it divides focus and the games wont know what they are....

Dunno...I think the mobile push could actually benefit game variety if it's done right. And I don't think there's anywhere near the type of crossover with PS and mobile as there is with PS and PC.

So they focus their big marquee games like the GOW Ragnaroks, HFWs, GT7s, Spiderman 2s etc. on PS5 obviously, but I don't think we could ever see, say, a new Echochrome or Parappa/UmJammer or Tomba game without a mobile initiative to compliment them. And if that's what it takes to get those sort of games again, as long as they're high quality (they should aim for quality around Sonic Mania/Streets of Rage 4/Fantasian/Stray etc. in terms of playability, production values etc.), then I'm for it.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Mobile is where the real money is at, Fate Grand Order has made over $7 billion dollars which is larger than Fortnite which only made $5.5 billion

So why is Sony wasting time with PC ports? Why not invest more in Mobile? Steam at most has 100 million users while Mobile is at like 3.5 billion users.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
This guy and Etifilio have got to be the same person...

Once again Nixxes handles the ports, they're easy cash and high margin.

Sony also bought Savage Game Studio, but it's not as simple to just port games to mobile. You have to design them from the ground up in most cases.

They also had ForwardWorks that they had invested in.

Mobile is the toughest market to crack into and the least applicable to leverage their strengths. It's going to be very difficult for sony to crack into mobile. It's the most complicated market to get into.

top-grossing-games-2023.jpg

Reactions: Shadow2027

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Do you know what would probably help them in the mobile space? A lot of the IP that Paramount owns.

Spongebob, TMNT, Dora the Explorer, Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Avatar, Star Trek...

Housemarque might be able to make a good arcade style mobile game or they can revisit some of their Japanese PS1 and PS2 games that might just need some retooling, like Intelligence Qube, Parappa the Rappa, or Devil Dice. LocoRoco might also work on Mobile.

I think they had some success with Jeopardy mobile, but a lot of success you have is based on ad budgets. I see advertisements for Monopoly Go, at least 5x a day. Monopoly Go had half a billion dollars in advertising alone...

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Why do you want them to focus on mobile?? Mobile, cloud, and PC are all equally trash endeavors for PlayStation. The console is the only thing that matters, nothing else. (VR is an extension of the console, so it still matters)

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
There's a reason why Nintendo left mobile. It's clear that predatory tactics are required to make those big bucks and PlayStation (as well as Nintendo) are probably worried about what happens to them when the government cracks down on mobile games' normalized bullshit.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
PlayStation in not built to make mobile games, just like they are not built to make eletric cars.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They said since some years ago that they are working on it.
  • They refounded the PlayStation Mobile SIE division
  • Hired top execs from the mobile gaming industry to lead it
  • Like PC, to grow in mobile is a secondary focus for them, the main one will continue being their console
  • Set a long term strategy of:
    • Creating or acquiring mobile gaming dev teams (as in PC, this would be on top of their console business and manpower with dedicated teams, won't take resources from console gamedev)
    • They acquired Lasengle, Crunchyroll Games and under SIE Neon Koi (team of ex-Rovio/SuperCell/Rockstar/Wargaming), plan to acquire more
    • Partnerships with top mobile gaming players or buotique smaller devs, so far they have deals with: Tencent, Netease, NCSoft, Nexon, MiHoyo, CyGames/CyberAgent(top in Japanese mobile gaming market) + Kadokawa, Akatsuki (top in Japanese mobile gaming market) + Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, Shift Up...
    • These partnerships would be mainly to help Sony adapt SIE IP to mobile and also to create dedicated IP
    • As with PC, the main goal is grow userbase, revenue and profit and popularize their brands specially in countries or regions where console never worked and is very difficult to grow: the biggest or fastest gaming markets in the work as is Asia Pacific (particularly China, Korea, India), Latin America and in a smaller scale Middle East or Africa
    • They are also working on bringing PS cloud gaming to mobile
    • They are also considering additional PS+ perks that would be interesting for mobile users, even outside gaming (as could be to include external stuff like Crunchyroll or even external stuff like Spotify)
    • They're also considering supporting 3rd party games (non-published by them, meaning they pretty likely plan to open their own mobile store)
    • They have multiple games under development
Mobile is the toughest market to crack into and the least applicable to leverage their strengths. It's going to be very difficult for sony to crack into mobile. It's the most complicated market to get into.
Sony already is around top 15 game publisher (top 22 if we also count non-gaming mobile app publishers and real gambling publishers), once they start pushing harder on mobile they will go up in the ranking:

Data_ai_2023_Top_Publisher_Awards.jpg

TPA2023_APAC_Top30-CS-2.png

So why is Sony wasting time with PC ports?
Because like mobile, PC is a bigger gaming market than PS and is very big in several of the biggest and top growing countries and regions where consoles always have been always too small and for several reasons it's very difficult or impossible to grow PS there.

And due to rise in AAA budgets they need extra revenue and profitability if they want to continue making big AAA games outside their few top selling IPs, something that PC and mobile provides them.

They are making hundrededs if millions of dollars per year on PC with a huge yearly growth and profitability margin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They said since some years ago that they are working on it.
  • They refounded the PlayStation Mobile SIE division
  • Hired top execs from the mobile gaming industry to lead it
  • Like PC, to grow in mobile is a secondary focus for them, the main one will continue being their console
  • Set a long term strategy of:
    • Creating or acquiring mobile gaming dev teams (as in PC, this would be on top of their console business and manpower with dedicated teams, won't take resources from console gamedev)
    • They acquired Lasengle, Crunchyroll Games and under SIE Neon Koi (team of ex-Rovio/SuperCell/Rockstar/Wargaming), plan to acquire more
    • Partnerships with top mobile gaming players or buotique smaller devs, so far they have deals with: Tencent, Netease, Nexxon, MiHoyo, CyGames(top in Japanese mobile gaming market) + Kadokawa, Akatsuki (top in Japanese mobile gaming market) + Koei Tecmo, Shift Up...
    • These partnerships would be mainly to help Sony adapt SIE IP to mobile and also to create dedicated IP
    • As with PC, the main goal is grow userbase, revenue and profit and popularize their brands specially in countries or regions where console never worked and is very difficult to grow: the biggest or fastest gaming markets in the work as is Asia Pacific (particularly China, Korea, India), Latin America and in a smaller scale Middle East or Africa
    • They are also working on bringing PS cloud gaming to mobile
    • They are also considering additional PS+ perks that would be interesting for mobile users, even outside gaming (as could be to include external stuff like Crunchyroll or even external stuff like Spotify)
    • They're also considering supporting 3rd party games (non-published by them, meaning they pretty likely plan to open their own mobile store)
    • They have multiple games under development
Yeah their plan has been fleshed out for awhile.