Why some regions pay more than the US

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I've seen a lot of commentary on why the PS5 Pro and other items are significantly more expensive in other regions.

The first major factor is VAT. The prices we see for the EU for example include the VAT while prices for the US do not include sales tax. VAT can be as high as 27 percent depending on country, but that would simply result in importing non-region locked PS5s from other countries, so of course you're going to get the highest price in the region to prevent that. Obviously that doesn't account for the total discrepancy, but there is more. This is a regulatory cost.

Sony's products come with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty basically across the world, but the EU goes further and requires a 2 year warranty. Sony and other manufacturers must account for the cost of that additional warranty period. Sony may have to replace an entire PS5 during a second year of warranty coverage. Those costs add up and of course manufacturers will look for more on purchase to make up for it. This is a regulatory cost.

You'll notice that software pricing seems more directly in line with US prices + VAT as games don't require the same warranty cost.

Then there is also currency fluctuation and of course you're not going to adjust prices every day, so you may pad the price a bit to protect yourself from major fluctuations. This is an economic cost.

There's also the increased cost of doing business in these smaller individual regions. This is a geographical cost. These regions bring in less revenue per the cost of operating.

Japan actually has the shortest warranty and highest price for the PS5 Pro at 842.55. Japan has a 10 percent consumption tax, which would normally bring its price to 769.98 USD, but as I mentioned you have to build in for fluctuation of currency and you have to protect against scalping in China. You have to protect against possible currency manipulation from China in addition to scalping.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
To protect what against scalping from China?

This console is going to be a failure in most markets.
Let the Chinese scalp all they want. They can take the European models while they're at it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Basically shipments, currency exchange, extra taxes (not only VAT, but also imports related stuff) and estimating higher inflation for the future.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Also, Sony can fuck right off with some of their conversions.
The PS5's bluray drive costs $80 in the US and then in Europe they demand 120€ for the same crap.

120€ at current rates (which have been the same for over a year and a half) is $132.

Sony's European customers are paying 65% more than US Americans. An in-store premium warranty extension for 3 years costs like 8% over the item's price. Putting VAT + 1 extra year warranty together doesn't amount to more than a 30% increase at most, probably less unless you live in Hungary.

Tell me you think of Europeans as your negligible pay pigs without telling me you think of Europeans as your negligible pay pigs, Sony.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
i live in brazil so i'm used to paying more for stuff, at the end of the day gaming is a luxury, not a need, if you don't have the money, stick with the PS5, this beast is going to receive games til 2030 or more

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I see the local corporate ChatGPT accounts are as usual all about making sure Sony always shines in the best light as soon as someone dares to complain.

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I would just add regulation to that, particularly in Europe.
Yes. In addition to this, in particular Europe requires more budget for marketing and PR, because you have to localize the ads, press releases etc to all languages, contact different agencies for different countries, and also negotiate with different retailers and shipment companies per country etc.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75