Why the lack of attention to what Nintendo is up to?

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I've noticed there's an awful lot of threads talking about Microsoft, Xbox, and Xbox fans and the state of things for them. There's even a decent number of threads on games being ported to PC. But something I've found peculiar is that what Nintendo's doing doesn't really get a whole lot of attention here. Sure when there's major game announcements some of their stuff pops up, but generally yall are more interested in the goings on on the Xbox and PC side of things.

I know this forum is primarily made up of Sony and PlayStation fans, but that makes me all the more curious. Nintendo has historically been significantly more successful than Microsoft in the console market, and significantly more successful than Sony in the handheld market. With that in mind, why do yall give Xbox so much more attention? Is it the power disparity, where Nintendo consoles are usually significantly weaker, the fact that their marketing is generally more casual friendly or aims at younger audiences, or is it something else?

I'm not throwing shade, I just find it curious that Nintendo as a competitor isn't really considered in the purview of most Playstation fans here.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Because Nintendo lags 10 years behind the industry. And if the rumors are true about the Swirltch 2 specs, that'll continue. Nintendo got beaten so bad that they left the home console space.

We know what they''ll do. Release an underpowered console with all the IPs they've been making for 30 years now. Except this time, they have a bigger competition in the handheld space as well as worse market conditions compared to what helped Switch get to where it is.

Nintendo will do fine but I don't think they'll get a repeat of Switch's success.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
nintendo really sits on its on vertical. Its hardware is extremely dated even when they are released and most new games dont go to the platform eith software largely propped up by nintendo themselves, indies and ports of old games which will definitely ramp up with switch 2. Console will again be underpowered compared to rest greatly but their fanbase of younger players and those who stick around will be strong. Fewer games but more money to go around between them which is why their games sell so much.

Nintendo also doesn’t mostly outside some square/sega stuff do third party exclusives and avoids those articles. They also ever bought people who worked all but in name for them already.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon
OP
OP
TrishaCat

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
bigger competition in the handheld space
Who's competing with them in the handheld space? I wouldn't really count Valve if you mean the Steam Deck, since it's really just a Linux computer in handheld form. It's desktop mode isn't really friendly for casual gamers either.

And does having lower spec hardware mean they're not relevant to Sony?

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I'm not throwing shade, I just find it curious that Nintendo as a competitor isn't really considered in the purview of most Playstation fans here.
Last time Nintendo was really in competition with Sony was the Gamecube era that's 2 decades ago,
after that they have followed what I call ''The Iwata principle'' of the DS for their hardware and found their own space.
3 gens of third party not coming out on it as well, not that there are non but feels more like a different platform/handheld vying for a different consumer.

I have it as a handheld to complement but realistically have only time to ''keep up'' with one platform, I do enjoy Bayonetta, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade etc. on it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Because this year's games are all after-thoughts and leftovers. Check back next fall for Switch 2.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Because none of us want Sony to compete with Nintendo on Nintendo terms

If Sony went full handheld with ten year old hardware I'd just go to PC

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Back when Switch was released, I liked it so much because it was a very interesting concept to ease the tv-out and use it as charger. And also, because it was the only portable of the generation, and had several masterpieces at its launch windows like BotW, MK8 or Mario Odyssey.

After 2017 the amount of quantity and quality of great titles (or to be more exact, amount of games I care and are appealing to me) highly decreased, and with the release of the current generation the difference in horsepower with the normal home consoles became more evident (for indies doesn't matter, but for AAA-ish games is an issue).

I had all Nintendo portables since the first Game Boy, but in home consoles skipped Wii and WiiU, so for me Switch was good to play some WiiU/Wii games I missed. I'd say all the titles (excluding Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 remakes/remasters) are already out.

I don't have any interest on their upcoming releases, maybe only Metroid Prime 4 if ends being good (I'm not confident, most key people from Retro who made 1, 2 and 3 are at Bluepoint and they had important development issues.

My lack of interest comes from their lineup in the recent years. Mario Odyssey 2, Mario Kart 9, a (good) brand new F-Zero and the mentioned Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 remakes would make me go back temporally for them, but I assume that after that they'd be again many years with nothing for me.

Last edited:

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Nintendo has pretty much burned up most of the good will I had for them with their awful decisions in the past few years. Releasing Mario 3D All-Stars without Galaxy 2 and making it a limited-time release, their god awful paid online that uses retro games as a "bonus" to keep people paying them in perpetuity when you could just buy said games via virtual console on the Wii and Wii U, charging $70 for Tears of the Kingdom just because everyone else is charging that much for their games now even though Nintendo's hardware was 6 years old at the time of TotK's release, the way they released New Horizons in the most half-assed state I've ever seen and even after a year and a half of updates it's still nowhere near as good as New Leaf, the way they never put their games on sale unless it's like a measly $20 off, the way pretty much all their games seem to release with some backward ass decision that makes zero sense and makes the game less enjoyable as a result. Unless their next piece of hardware is very innovative or they release some compelling software, I won't be getting their next console.

Reactions: VillaiN

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
When it comes to Nintendo, I care for mainly one thing, Monolith Soft. They fed me 2 years ago... so i'll remain patient. That said Switch 2 is day 1

Reactions: Bryank75

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
People are waiting for the switch 2. No one cares what games the 1st switch has anymore.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Because Nintendo is not on the tightrope Xbox is on, and the direction of their brand is not in question the way PlayStation’s is.

When you do what you’re supposed to and stay in your lane, there’s an expectation you will continue on that path. That goes for anything.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Nintendo in its current state doesn't have much influence on the industry. Nothing they do at the moment has a long lasting impact

• haha
Reactions: TrishaCat