Will we see Arrowhead's next-gen, co-op AAA 3rd person shooter announced this year?

• Thread starter Deleted member 223
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 223

As the title says: Will we see Arrowhead's next-gen, co-op, AAA 3rd person shooter announced this year?

Arrowhead studios is known to Console/PS fans for Helldivers collab with Sony and Magicka. Rumor has it this title is also a collab with Sony. Development on this game took off in 2020 but was probably conceptually in the works even further back. Given their small studio size this title screams of a similar project of sorts like Housemarque's Returnal.... that is, small studio going AAA with XDev backup and Sony funding. Rumors however can be wrong.

The Stockholm-based studio, known for their uncompromising game mechanics and intense cooperative gameplay, are well underway on their next project: a 3rd person shooter featuring next-gen graphics, innovative co-op and agency for the community to alter the course of the game. This AAA game will share the satirical humor that fans of the studio’s previous games know and love.
This is Arrowhead Game Studios’ fifth game and the studio is looking to expand beyond the team of 65 developers that are currently working on the project.
“We are incredibly excited to create a new, next-gen, co-op experience for our fans and community. We are looking for talented developers to join us on this journey and are looking forward to sharing more details about the project at a later date.” said Johan Pilestedt, Game Director and CEO
https://www.arrowheadgamestudios.co...xt-generation-3rd-person-cooperative-shooter/

Last update was a 2022 Facebook post.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 223

The web got scrubbed really hard for the leak.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 223

Helldivers 2 as in a Top Down TPS or Helldivers 2 as in a traditional TPS is what's the question.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I expect it to be announced in Sony's summer State of Play/Showcase, with a H2 2023 or H1 2024 release.

I see it as a Helldivers sequel turned into a AAA, a Sony version of Gears (over the shoulder TPS camera) but with sense of humor heavily focusing on coop. This time maybe not only with your squad but also with other squads of your same faction.

Development on this game took off in 2020
They announced to be working on this in 2020 but their previous game was released in 2015, meaning that they have been working on it since 2015 or 2016. They are making their first AAA but started with a team smalller than the typical AAA (think Returnal), so took longer than usual.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Deleted member 223
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 223

I expect it to be announced in Sony's summer State of Play/Showcase, with a H2 2023 or H1 2024 release.

I see it as a Helldivers sequel turned into a AAA, a Sony version of Gears (over the shoulder TPS camera) but with sense of humor heavily focusing on coop. This time maybe not only with your squad but also with other squads of your same faction.

They announced to be working on this in 2020 but their previous game was released in 2015, meaning that they have been working on it since 2015 or 2016. They are making their first AAA but started with a team smalller than the typical AAA (think Returnal), so took longer than usual.
Agree on most points except the game being positioned as a Gears analogue. It's all guesses so no right or wrong answer on any point.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Agree on most points except the game being positioned as a Gears analogue. It's all guesses so no right or wrong answer on any point.
I think Arrowhead wanted/needed to grow and go AAA, and that Sony wanted to have a diverse lineup of 1st & 2nd party MP and shooter games.

We know that this game is going to be a AAA 3rd person coop shooter. And if I think in a AAA TPS version of Helldivers basically what I see is a Gears like game but obviously with their own flavor/style.

Sony also has Destiny 2, a couple of Bungie new IPs in the works, TLOU online and new IPs from Deviation, Firewalk or Haven, even if I think that the Haven game probably won't be a shooter. I assume the other teams will do their own takes on Halo / Fortnite / CoD / Rainbow Six Siege / Tarkov, so I think Arrowhead will make their own take on Gears.

I think Sony wants to cover all shooter fronts with potential for the future. But not simply copying old formulas, but instead evolving them on their own style.

Reactions: Deleted member 223
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 223

It's not just a want. It's a critical need with Microsoft bulking up so much in this genre space.