Windows 11 Become the Most OS for PC Gaming

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Took some years to reach there... a lot of gamers where holding on Windows 10 yet.
Windows 11 has passed Windows 10 usage on Steam for the first time ever, signally a shift in the right direction for Microsoft.

Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system has passed Windows 10 usage for Steam users for the first time since its launch in 2021. Windows 10 has been holding strong in recent years, despite Microsoft's plans to end support for Windows 10 in October 2025. There are now signs that Windows 11 adoption is finally heading in the right direction for Microsoft.

Steam hardware survey data for August puts Windows 11 usage at 49 percent, an increase of more than 3 percent over the previous figure in July of nearly 46 percent. Windows 10 usage has dipped by around 3 percent to 47 percent, while macOS and Linux Steam usage has largely remained the same during August.

Usage of Windows 11 across the web has also been growing over the past year, too. In July 2023, Windows 11 had a market share of around 23 percent, and that has now grown to nearly 32 percent in August 2024, according to StatCounter.

image_2024-09-02_163828597.png

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If you wonder why most devs don't want to waste resources on Mac or Linux portS: Mac + Linux barely are 3% combined.

Seems weird to me to don't see SteamOS listed as one of the most popular Linux distributions there. I'd bet a few years ago I saw it there. Maybe they removed it from there to don't give hints about the Steam Deck approximated MAU?

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If you wonder why most devs don't want to waste resources on Mac or Linux portS: Mac + Linux barely are 3% combined.

Seems weird to me to don't see SteamOS listed as one of the most popular Linux distributions there. I'd bet a few years ago I saw it there. Maybe they removed it from there to don't give hints about the Steam Deck approximated MAU?
If you change to Linux only data it shows it as 40%.
It does seems to be a bug... it should be in the combined list with around 0.77%.
Freedesktop doesn't show in combined too.

image_2024-09-02_171525366.png

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'm on windows 10 until October. My desktop plays almost everything I want to play but can't install W11 on it. Also o have heard it's pretty bad so I'll check tiny 11 iso or a Linux based OS like bazzite or chimera OS.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm on windows 10 until October. My desktop plays almost everything I want to play but can't install W11 on it. Also o have heard it's pretty bad so I'll check tiny 11 iso or a Linux based OS like bazzite or chimera OS.
Not sure about it being bad... it is basically Windows 10 with fixes.
Never had any issue with it in two notebooks.
One with official support... and another forcing the upgrade tool to bypass some hardware requirement after read it don't make any difference at all.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
One with official support... and another forcing the upgrade tool to bypass some hardware requirement after read it don't make any difference at all.
Windows is basically spyware.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
For me personally, when I upgraded to windows 11 I was disappointed some of the file options when you right click a file are missing and you have to select a "show more options" button, making what used to be a single click to show now being two clicks.
If that sounds incredibly minor, it is, but it's one I took note of and still get annoyed at.

Could also do without all the telemetry, but that was a problem with Windows 10 too

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If you change to Linux only data it shows it as 40%.
It does seems to be a bug... it should be in the global list with around 0.77%.
Freedesktop doesn't show in global too.

View attachment 5505
Ah, I see.

Linux is a 1.92% of the total and SteamOS is 40.48% of the Linus, so SteamOS is a 0.78% of the total.

As I remember last time they oficially shared MAU numbers was in 2021, (were growing every year until then) and was 132M. Assuming it didn't grow since then (doubt it) and kept the same, then there would be minimum 1.03M MAU on Steamdeck.

image.png

Assuming let's say almost 3 years later Steam may have now let's say around 140M MAU (made up random guess), then Steamdeck MAU should be around 1.09M MAU.

I assume the Steamdeck active online in the last month represent a small percent of the total ones sold until now, so my personal guess is that maybe there are minimum around 3-4 million Steamdeck sold until now.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
For me personally, when I upgraded to windows 11 I was disappointed some of the file options when you right click a file are missing and you have to select a "show more options" button, making what used to be a single click to show now being two clicks.
If that sounds incredibly minor, it is, but it's one I took note of and still get annoyed at.

Could also do without all the telemetry, but that was a problem with Windows 10 too
I got what are you saying.... I had to ask the developer of Notepad++ to change their shell menu to show in the first menu instead the second one... they changed it very fast today.
That is the reason I changed from 7-Zip to Nana-Zip... the 7-Zip said it won't change the shell extension for Windows 11... Nana-Zip (that is a 7-Zip fork) did it.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

Download winaero tweaker

In the windows 11 tweaks page you can set it to use W10's context menu. There's toggles for killing telemetry too.