Windows Central Rumor: Cheaper Cloud-Only GamePass Tier & Family Sharing Coming, No Ad-Supported Tier Currently Planned

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

I've heard that Microsoft is working towards a cloud-only version of its subscription that would be cheaper and more approachable to buy than Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. This would be designed around users who simply aren't interested in buying an Xbox console, which could include competing console platform players.

I've also heard very tentative rumors that the Xbox Game Pass Friends and Family Plan experiment isn't dead.

I've heard Microsoft has been exploring the potential here, but isn't currently actively working towards an ad-based Xbox Game Pass tier.

Microsoft is working towards allowing Xbox gamers to bring many hundreds of games from their own digital libraries into Xbox Cloud Gaming, hopefully by the end of the year, pending negotiations with license holders.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
the fact that they had to bring up ad-supported tiers when no one asked about it and add on the legendary "[not] currently planned" is fucking hilarious and basically a straight up admission that they're going to be forcing ads in there VERY soon.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

peewee78368

Banned
3 Feb 2024
TBH i dont think family tier gonna happen... with the price going up the amount they would want for a family of 4 or 5 gonna be insane.... they dropped it cuz they know they wont make money on a family plan

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
I feel like someone at Microsoft needs to email Phil Spencer "Just let it go already".

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Like the Series S option MS seems to have no ideia what they are doing…

They just are throwing options at different price points to see if any sells.

If they continue stuck at sub 40m Gamepass subs they are dead.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
At this point, Xbox is just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Wing84

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Not sure on what the price would be but a $5 cloud only option would be a good decision. Allows people to try it out without having to pay for Ultimate.