With 100 reviews, Baldur's Gate 3 remains the highest scoring game of 2023 on Opencritic

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Screenshot_20230907_172037.jpg
Screenshot_20230907_171806.jpg

It wasnt too long ago that people were speculating whether Baldur's Gate 3's hot start was just a flash in the pan or if it had the legs to go the distance. Now, a full month after launch and with 100 reviews in the books, the answer is clear: Baldur's Gate 3 is still narrowly beating out Zelda to be the hottest game this year among critics. A whopping 100%(!!) of critics on Opencritic are recommending the game, which is an astounding and impressive achievement for Larian Studios.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Honestly amazing. What a feel good win over Diablo IV and its post-launch fuckery and even over TotK. Did anyone start this year thinking BG was gonna win it?

Reactions: Sircaw
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Honestly amazing. What a feel good win over Diablo IV and its post-launch fuckery and even over TotK. Did anyone start this year thinking BG was gonna win it?
I'm gonna be honest I came into the year expecting FF16 to be my favorite game by far. BG3 wasn't even on my radar (well I knew it existed but only as early access which I tend to stay away from)

• fire

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Deserved, Im loving it.
I havent tried TOTK yet but I love Zelda so Im sure Ill enjoy

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Much deserved and definitely a better game than TOTK imo.
Nah lol. TotK is mind-blowingly good. Based on what I've ready, BG3 seems really great as well, and they share a similar trait in that they focus on letting you do whatever you want and you basically get out of the game what you put in.

And they have been trading spots so this celebration still remains weird. Some of you guys need to get a life in regards to all the hate lol.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Nah lol. TotK is mind-blowingly good. Based on what I've ready, BG3 seems really great as well, and they share a similar trait in that they focus on letting you do whatever you want and you basically get out of the game what you put in.

And they have been trading spots so this celebration still remains weird. Some of you guys need to get a life in regards to all the hate lol.
TotK is a sandbox game, but the story only plays out one way. BG3's story is something that YOU control. TotK has more ways to interact with the game mechanics and the UI is more streamlined, but BG3 is no slouch on interactivity. TotK's physics is way more impressive, but BG3's roleplaying is way more impressive. What kind of game you like more will likely dictate which you like more.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

Calm down, what hate? I've never ever hated on TOTK (or even Starfield), my comment wasn't a knock on the game. It's a great game I just think BG3 is better in every single way.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Calm down, what hate? I've never ever hated on TOTK (or even Starfield), my comment wasn't a knock on the game. It's a great game I just think BG3 is better in every single way.
YOU LEAVE @Dr Bass alone, he is a rare breed, the only Nintendo fanboy on this site,

If he leaves, I will cut you. 😍

knife crab GIF

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Ok sooooo ... just for fun I checked out the straight averages of the scores on Opencritic.

These are real unweighted numbers.

Zelda averages a 96.59701

BG3 averages a 96.5851

So Zelda is still "higher rated" (by a fraction of a percent) despite having around 40 more actual scored reviews. Maybe Opencritic is ranking them on that hall of fame list with some weighted scoring, but the flat scoring equates to the above.

Again, these games can live side by side. One doesn't "lose" or "win." I also find it funny we got a board that tries to rail on turn based games, but as soon as it might fit an agenda it's immediately the "GotG" lol.

Some of ya'll gotta stop being weird.

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Ok sooooo ... just for fun I checked out the straight averages of the scores on Opencritic.

These are real unweighted numbers.

Zelda averages a 96.59701

BG3 averages a 96.5851

So Zelda is still "higher rated" (by a fraction of a percent) despite having around 40 more actual scored reviews. Maybe Opencritic is ranking them on that hall of fame list with some weighted scoring, but the flat scoring equates to the above.

Again, these games can live side by side. One doesn't "lose" or "win." I also find it funny we got a board that tries to rail on turn based games, but as soon as it might fit an agenda it's immediately the "GotG" lol.

Some of ya'll gotta stop being weird.
What's weird is being so anal that you went and did the averages by hand lol

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
this shit HAS to be GOTY. no matter how many 💰💰💰 Jim gives to Doritos Pope. the only hope now is that Starfield dosen't even get nominated and Spiderman does 😜.

BG3 is an example of a strong creative vision/direction and good management. (We know they had difficult times) better reason to give them a standing ovation.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
this shit HAS to be GOTY. no matter how many 💰💰💰 Jim gives to Doritos Pope. the only hope now is that Starfield dosen't even get nominated and Spiderman does 😜.

BG3 is an example of a strong creative vision/direction and good management. (We know they had difficult times) better reason to give them a standing ovation.
What deserves an ovation is they don't have any MTX or battlepasses

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

My bet on TOTK.
Honestly I don't really like BG3 as a whole. It is like ER, bombastic openings, turd endgame.

Spider-man could be nominated, but it must have a really fking good story.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
My bet on TOTK.
Honestly I don't really like BG3 as a whole. It is like ER, bombastic openings, turd endgame.

Spider-man could be nominated, but it must have a really fking good story.
there is an "unwritten rule": sequels dont win GOTY (if the previous one already won).

The thing with BG3 is that, what they did was fundamentally unprecedented (thus the drama). winning the award will be the cherry on top for such categorical success and a "statement" to the big AAA devs and publishers that just fuck around and end up releasing unfished/MTXs garbaggio.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
BG3 was always going to be great. I bought BG3 EA back in 2021. Never played it until it came out. I knew it was going to be great, because they made DS2, and they finally procured a triple A budget for BG3. So i knew they were going to cook. BG3 clears pretty much every game in the last 5 years except maybe Red Dead 2 imo.