with PlayStation Plus i see even less value in buying digital games

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
knowing i'll pay 70/80 for a DIGITAL game that will arrive digitally on a subscription service i already subscribe 12 - 24 months later makes me want to never stop buying pyshical games, at least there is some kind of value in my purchase, i for example, bought Horizon Forbidden West digitally day one ($ 80 Deluxe Edition) and regret it deeply, should've went with the physical Special Edition that comes with a Steelbook and Artbook, at least i would feel like i didn't waste my money with a digital license that i would have avaliable anyway 12 months later, what do you guys think? you still buy digital games even knowing they'll arrive on Plus 1 - 2 years later or you prefer physical?

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
my point here is that, if you're gonna have the digital license 12 - 24 months later anyway, why not have it physically, that way, eventually you'll have access to both a physical version and a digital license of the game?

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I don't buy digital 99% of the time. Easy.
i buy mostly physical, would say 80% physical, but sometimes i get so excited for a game that i literally need to play at midnight the time it releases then i go and buy a digital copy, that was the case for Forbidden West, but now i'm no longer comfortable in buying digital games knowing i'll have the license at no additional cost in my Plus Premium subscription

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Never buy digital unless in very specific cases where the physical version is drastically more expensive.

Last edited:

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
I only buy digital games i am fine with losing for cheap, except BG3 cause what else can i do? Will get the physical version.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I buy digital it I know the game will be getting extensive plays from me or during sales. I'm about 50/50 currently. I tend to go digital with exclusives and physical with 3rd party stuff so I can get rid of them eventually.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
knowing i'll pay 70/80 for a DIGITAL game that will arrive digitally on a subscription service i already subscribe 12 - 24 months later makes me want to never stop buying pyshical games, at least there is some kind of value in my purchase, i for example, bought Horizon Forbidden West digitally day one ($ 80 Deluxe Edition) and regret it deeply, should've went with the physical Special Edition that comes with a Steelbook and Artbook, at least i would feel like i didn't waste my money with a digital license that i would have avaliable anyway 12 months later, what do you guys think? you still buy digital games even knowing they'll arrive on Plus 1 - 2 years later or you prefer physical?
But those games aren’t always there. A game can be taken out and it could take yrs for it to go back in the rotation.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
I buy the games I really want to play when they are available, the ones I’m interested when they are 50% off, and then ones I wouldn’t want to lose money on I wait for them to come to PS+ and I might sub for a month see what’s what.

All digital. It’s all about wants and how you value time vs money.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Plus and Extra give off bargain bin vibes and that’s fine. You could ideally “live off” these offerings and be totally fine. To each their own.

Unlike gamepass most major platform holder exclusives won’t be on the service. It’s for stuff that already exhausted their retail runs.

The value discussion is subjective of course. Lots of games for a subscription cost but will gamers move away from the same one or two games they play year long? Will you make use of it? That’s up to you…

I love digital and when games go on sale the prices are steals. Not so crazy about subs tho… mostly since the games I want don’t appear.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
my point here is that, if you're gonna have the digital license 12 - 24 months later anyway, why not have it physically, that way, eventually you'll have access to both a physical version and a digital license of the game?
I agree with you 100%, I bought digital for Spider-Man 2 so I could play it right at midnight, but now I kinda wish I had the physical. I also bought GoW Ragnarok digitally as well because someone gave me a $60 PSN card, another game I wish I had the physical for. Physical is king, I won't be buying digitally anymore except for rare occurrences like BG3 and Alan Wake 2.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Especially with the sales this generation.

PS4 sales seemed way way more generous.

I try to buy physical as much as possible and seem to get much better deals.

Plus they can't take it away from you.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I buy digital when I can't find the game physically for a reasonable price, so many games go out of print and jack up in price but digitally they are like $10 for example Gravity Rush 1 and 2

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I buy digital for the games I want day 1 and do not give a rat's rear end if they come to PS+ later. :p

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Plus and Extra give off bargain bin vibes and that’s fine. You could ideally “live off” these offerings and be totally fine. To each their own.

Unlike gamepass most major platform holder exclusives won’t be on the service. It’s for stuff that already exhausted their retail runs.

The value discussion is subjective of course. Lots of games for a subscription cost but will gamers move away from the same one or two games they play year long? Will you make use of it? That’s up to you…

I love digital and when games go on sale the prices are steals. Not so crazy about subs tho… mostly since the games I want don’t appear.
Most major big games do eventually go to ps plus. Pretty much all the major gamers last gen have been on it and that will be the case this gen. Larian can say all that want BG3 won’t come to psplus but that’s completely bullsht. It will eventually when sales on console get stale and they need to boost player count they will come asking for that psplus and even gamepass bag.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
This is predicated on buying games day 1 which is not a value and not something you have to do. Digital has way better sales if you just wait a little.

For me Ps+ is great as a demo hub for trying games in full so you can buy the game if you happen to really enjoy it. I do this every couple of months and cancel right after.

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns