Xbox Bans User for Using Gameplay Capture Features

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
From GameInfinitus:

Xbox has issued a one year ban to a player for capturing gameplay clips from Larian Studios’ role-playing game, Baldur’s Gate 3.

The Xbox player in question, who goes by the name of Daddy-Vegas on Reddit, shared that they received a ban for recording three gameplay clips during their session with Baldur’s Gate 3. Each of the clips included footage from a camp scene involving nudity and sexual interactions between the game’s characters.

The Reddit user pointed out that, by default, Xbox uploads all captured gameplay clips to its server for easy access and sharing. Each clip that had been uploaded counted as a different infraction, and Xbox ended up issuing a one year ban to their account. They have since turned to the appeal process, hoping that the decision to ban their account can be reversed upon inspection. As of now, they can’t play any game that requires a network connection. They mentioned that they had invested a lot of time and money in Call of Duty over the last 6 months, and the continued ban would make it all worthless.
Other Xbox users on Reddit in response share times they've also been banned for capturing footage of games on Xbox:
I had this happen to 2 screenshots from Cyberpunk 2077 which featured the “Gamorrah: Wide open” ad in the background. My game captures were set to private anyway. Makes no sense that the material can be fine in game but a game capture isn’t allowed
I got a soft ban when I was playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and I shared a video of a topless NPC.

I found out the issue was that the privacy settings for sharing video was made "public", once I changed it "me only", any future clips weren't flagged
I got a 3 day suspension for a screenshot of Moxxi from Borderlands 3. I assume because she has boobs and cleavage? It was an artsy shot taken with photomode, not some pervy closeup of her tits. What a fucking joke.
Towards the start of last year, I got a notice from Xbox that a bunch of my captures had been flagged and deleted, and I was being given a warning. Sure enough, it was for Cyberpunk. The problem isn't making or even sharing the clips, the problem is with simply uploading them to Xbox's online storage and leaving them there, because these captures can show up on the game's store page.

Lesson learned. Now my captures don't automatically upload

It's hard to imagine being a Microsoft customer. They enable features to automatically share your content for their promotional material, then they ban you for sharing content of games released on Xbox. Nice fat one year ban on content you purchased because Microsoft cannot configure their visibility settings to work between the children an adults on their platform. Even if this ban, or any other, gets overturned the fact you have to deal with Xbox's bureaucracy to get your account working back as usual is a joke.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022