Xbox co-founder J Allard has joined Amazon

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Should be a nice payday. Hope he has a strong parachute clause lined up for when Amazon inevitably axes the whole division.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Oh boy folks don't realise how important this man for Xbox was. He is like Ken Kutaragi in terms for Xbox. Father of Xbox consoles to be precisely.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Oh boy folks don't realise how important this man for Xbox was. He is like Ken Kutaragi in terms for Xbox. Father of Xbox consoles to be precisely.

He left in 2010 so he wasn't there for Xbox one or Series. He's not that important 🤷

Here's what J Allard has been doing since leaving Microsoft from Wiki:

Before leaving Microsoft, Allard became a director of The Clymb, a Flash sale site featuring outdoor products. In June 2011, The Clymb raised $2 million from a handful of angel investors, including Allard,[23] and was sold to LeftLane Sports in 2016

Allard started the 529 Garage bicycle registration service in 2014 in Portland, Oregon. Today Project 529 is the world's largest bike registration network,[8] approaching two million registered bikes.[9] The service is used by bicycle owners, cities, law enforcement, universities and bike shops as a registration, reporting and recovery program. Since launching the first official test city of Vancouver, Canada in 2015, bike theft has dropped over 35% and thousands of stolen bicycles have been reunited with their owners.[10] The program is now rapidly expanding throughout North America and has captured the attention of the World Bank.[11]

I'm seeing a pattern, I think he left for passion, outdoors stuff.
Which is totally cool, and good for him, but not really related to what he had done previously.

But what about most recently?

Allard joined Intellivision Entertainment on May 14, 2020, as the global managing director to help oversee the release of the Intellivision Amico.[25] As of January, 2021, all references to Intellivision Entertainment and J. Allard's time there have been removed from his LinkedIn page with no announcement or further information.[26] As of March 2021, all references related to Allard's involvement with Intellivision have now been removed from Intellivision's website and related Intellivision Amico webpages. In an interview posted on GeekWire, Allard says that he left the company last summer, shortly after joining, stating that there was "No drama, just not a good fit".

Lmao, I bet he got sold a false bill of goods by good ol' Tommy to make him join this thing.
Jumped ship pretty quickly, haha.

GoFundMe​

In July 2022, it was announced that Allard would be joining GoFundMe as Chief Product and Technology Officer to lead the organisation in technology infrastructure, product oversight, design and overseeing engineering teams

-----

On the subject of him joining Amazon. I dunno, Amazon outside of core strength has never been quite landing their initiatives.
They're spending an absurd amount of money on TV shows that aren't that great for the most part, their gaming division is great for workers(they're getting paid the big bucks) but what they've shipped...

Like, it's an intriguing hire, but I would caution about anything coming out of it just yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Do you think Amazon is bringing a 3rd party console on the market like the Steam Deck?
If I remember correctly the Echo is the only physical device of any note that Amazon has produced. It seems really unlikely to me, they're much more likely to just do a streaming service and, indeed, already are doing that.