Xbox Could Become Less Relevant If It Doesn't Thrive In Mobile, Phil Spencer Says

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
phil-spencer_RBRfmJ9.jpg

Via Gamespot

His quoting can be seen below with highlights:

I am really looking forward to learning on mobile. The truth of the matter is, if you're going to continue to be relevant in gaming at a global scale, you're going to have to find a way to be relevant on the largest platform, which is mobile.
It's critical for us to deliver on the full promise of over 3 billion people playing video games; the opportunity to reach more and more people. People who only play on their phone, find Xbox to be something that's interesting for them
It doesn't mean I want to turn all of our franchises into mobile franchises; it doesn't mean everything is going to go free-to-play. I think the distribution and business model diversity that we have is a strength of the platform.
Microsoft sells games outright; it also has the popular subscription program Game Pass; and it operates free-to-play games. With the acquisition of ABK, Microsoft also pushes further into the mobile game space and the potential riches there.

We've got to be relevant on mobile. There is no way to plot the future without being on the platform that most of the planet plays on.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
If you want mobile crowd you need to release Facebook games.

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Phil Spencer has this natural ability to somehow piss me off every time something comes out of his mouth. As others have said, he's just talking to hear himself talk because if mobile truly were their goal, they wouldn't be trying to fuck over PlayStation and their customers by buying up all the 3rd party PUBLISHERS to make them exclusive. If they wanted King so badly to expand into mobile, I'm sure they could've drawn up a deal to buy just them from Activision, but CoD and Blizzard were their priorities to fuck with PlayStation - King was just a bonus.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Phil Spencer has this natural ability to somehow piss me off every time something comes out of his mouth. As others have said, he's just talking to hear himself talk because if mobile truly were their goal, they wouldn't be trying to fuck over PlayStation and their customers by buying up all the 3rd party PUBLISHERS to make them exclusive. If they wanted King so badly to expand into mobile, I'm sure they could've drawn up a deal to buy just them from Activision, but CoD and Blizzard were their priorities to fuck with PlayStation - King was just a bonus.
Only problem with that theory is that King makes BANK, so there was no way Activision would have been willing to sell it off.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Thing is Xbox never had the mindshare on a GLOBAL scale. Let them dip in all into mobile. The quicker they get to it the closer the console will be closed for business. Phil Spencer and many other don't understand that the mobile base is a different audience from the core gamer base. Candy crush and Fruit ninja are popular cause they're quick finger sweeping games that are played for mere minutes. Most ain't gonna dive deep into full fledge games on mobile. As long as consoles are still selling as well as handhelds, the core will remain there.

Reactions: Diah