Xbox Game Pass New Tiers Are Live, Games Pulled From Standard Tier

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Back in July, Microsoft announced they were making some changes to Xbox Game Pass tiers removing Core and just having a ‘Standard’ and including an Ultimate which would be the only place you can play Major Day One Releases like Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 or Indiana Jones.

We knew that standard was not going to have access to the shiny new titles but at least we could play the old stuff, right? By the looks of things, as spotted by Kotaku, many games have been removed. Upon further view it appears Microsoft has decided to take this back a year and remove anything added from the past 12 months. So, you can no longer play Modern Warfare 3, which was only added in June, or Diablo 4. Starfield and even Hellblade 2 have been removed as well. It’s not only the major titles that are missing either but there are also some little gems like Dungeons of Hinterberg and Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn are noticeably absent.

Starfield is no longer part of Xbox Game Pass Standard
Microsoft has confirmed that it could be “up to 12 months” before day one releases are available on the Standard Game Pass, so does this mean that in a year these titles will be back? Starfield is actually over a year old now so that debunks that already.

I can’t believe this will affect too many current subscribers, but it is food for thought for any new subscribers wanting to give some of the older titles a go.

This will only affect the Console version of Game Pass. PC Game Pass will continue to have access to the lot.

Below is a list of the titles missing from the Standard Tier:

• Age of Mythology: Retold Standard Edition
  • Another Crab’s Treasure
  • Botany Manor
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  • Core Keeper
  • Creatures of Ava
  • Diablo 4
  • Dungeons Of Hinterberg
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
  • Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn
  • Flock
  • Forza Motorsport Standard Edition
  • Galacticare
  • Go Mecha Ball
  • Harold Halibut
  • Hauntii
  • Heavy Weapon
  • Humanity
  • Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess
  • Lightyear Frontier (Game Preview)
  • Little Kitty, Big City
  • Magical Delicacy
  • MLB The Show 24
  • Neon White
  • Octopath Traveller 2
  • Open Roads
  • Payday 3
  • PlateUp!
  • Robin Hood – Sherwood Builders
  • Rolling Hills: Make Sushi, Make Friends
  • Sea of Solitude
  • Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II
  • Slime Rancher 2
  • SpiderHeck
  • Star Trucker
  • Starfield
  • Still Wakes the Deep
  • Tchia
  • The Case of the Golden Idol
  • The Rewinder
  • Turnip Boy Robs a Bank
  • Valorant
  • You Suck at Parking – Complete Edition

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
No surprises here since this was already known. Luckily for me, im subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate until July 2027 so none of these issues apply to me. Teehee.

My sub runs out next month, actually. I'm debating whether to re-up GPU or just go Core, buy the games I want, or just wait for them hit the Standard tier in a year or two.

Reactions: Gediminas

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
My sub runs out next month, actually. I'm debating whether to re-up GPU or just go Core, buy the games I want, or just wait for them hit the Standard tier in a year or two.

Standard being anything more than a vault of older games will be dependent on when the day one games get added. If it's a few months (which I highly doubt) then it would be good but my guess is two years minimum. But we'll see.

I stacked three years within the last two weeks because I was able to get each month for $15 which was their old price. So $180 per year. $540 total but the money that I will save from buying Microsoft's games and for me, I have a lot on my list that I want to play, I could break even before I even get to next summer. lol

MiyazakiLovesKojima

$540 total but the money that I will save from buying Microsoft's games
You do realize you don't own any game from the pass, right?

Game Pass is worse than buying garbage bin flea market games.

Gamers today have no clue what ownership even means anymore.
simon cowell facepalm GIF

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Regardless of how you feel about Xbox, it's sad to see that console players are pretty much always treated as second class citizens these days when compared to PC players, regardless of whether you're on PlayStation or Xbox.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
You do realize you don't own any game from the pass, right?

Game Pass is worse than buying garbage bin flea market games.

Gamers today have no clue what ownership even means anymore.

I do realize that but I stopped caring about ownership and collections two generations ago. It literally means absolutely nothing to me. Once I play and complete a game, I rarely if ever go back to it. For example, this generation which for me is around 50+ completed games, I only replayed Outriders which I bought digitally day one despite being on Game Pass day one and played it three times in the month of April 2021. Played it a fourth time in November 2021 and a fifth time in July 2022 when the expansion released which I completed. Haven't played it since though. I will replay Horizon Forbidden West and Final Fantasy XVI since I don't have the save files and the both games require you to get to a certain point in order to start the expansions which is so fucking stupid but if I replay them to get to the expansions, great but if I don't, oh well.

I simply prefer to play through a game to completion and then move on. I only go back to a completed game if there's an expansion for it that I want to play. Otherwise, I move on to my next game.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Regardless of how you feel about Xbox, it's sad to see that console players are pretty much always treated as second class citizens these days when compared to PC players, regardless of whether you're on PlayStation or Xbox.
How are PS fans treated as second class citizens? Is the highest rated game this year on PC? You keep saying this but never care to explain. You speak with your feelings, not logic.

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
How are PS fans treated as second class citizens? Is the highest rated game this year on PC? You keep saying this but never care to explain. You speak with your feelings, not logic.
Tell me something - do you have to pay for PS+ to play Helldivers 2 on PC? What about PlayStation games coming to PC at a lower price than they did PlayStation? You could argue that they're old games and it makes sense that they're launching at a lower price on PC, but God of War Ragnarok is still $70 digital on PlayStation, but $60 on PC. It's currently on sale, but once the sale is over it'll be back to $70. Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is $70 digital on PlayStation, but $60 on PC. The Last of Us Part 1 Remake: The Official Remaster 2.0 is $70 digital on PlayStation, $60 on PC. Returnal is $70 digital on PlayStation, $60 on PC. Like Ragnarok, it's currently on sale but will go back up to $70 when the sale is over. But sure, keep making excuses for PlayStation treating its core customer base like shit for the past 4 years.

Reactions: arvfab

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Tell me something - do you have to pay for PS+ to play Helldivers 2 on PC? What about PlayStation games coming to PC at a lower price than they did PlayStation? You could argue that they're old games and it makes sense that they're launching at a lower price on PC, but God of War Ragnarok is still $70 digital on PlayStation, but $60 on PC. It's currently on sale, but once the sale is over it'll be back to $70. Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is $70 digital on PlayStation, but $60 on PC. The Last of Us Part 1 Remake: The Official Remaster 2.0 is $70 digital on PlayStation, $60 on PC. Returnal is $70 digital on PlayStation, $60 on PC. Like Ragnarok, it's currently on sale but will go back up to $70 when the sale is over. But sure, keep making excuses for PlayStation treating its core customer base like shit for the past 4 years.

Let's not forget lower quality and quantity of 1st party exclusives because of the PC initiative.