Xbox Rejected Around 30 Ideas For New Halo Games Pitched By 343 Industries

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
halo-infinite.jpg

343 Industries had pitched as many as 30 different ideas for new Halo games to higher-ups at Xbox, but all of them were rejected.

Former 343 Industries Senior/Lead Designer Kevin Schmitt took to Twitter/X to reveal that Xbox had rejected as many as 30 different ideas for new Halo games pitched by the studio during the 12 year period that he had been working there.

According to Schmitt, each of the 20 to 30 ideas that 343 Industries had pitched to Xbox would have worked well as part of the Halo universe. He stated that they included many single-player and multiplayer ideas that were based around United Nations Space Command Marines, known as Orbital Drop Shock Troopers or ODST
s. Schmitt mentioned that some of the ideas involved galaxy-spanning, while some were more intimate. There was also one that was really “dark”, he added.

Source

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
I still dont get why they made it open world/area. Halo has and always worked best as set levels and a shorter but highly replayable campaign. Still replay the trilogy almost every year

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m sure they’ll just chase the latest trends, call it Halo, and then spectacularly fail again.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I still dont get why they made it open world/area. Halo has and always worked best as set levels and a shorter but highly replayable campaign. Still replay the trilogy almost every year
Because in the industry everyone has been moving to open world, so they felt they had to do the same.

Same goes with 4K 60fps, they thought they had to achieve it, but also had to support lower end hardware. So the game didn't end looking great regarding visuals.

Since many big publishers were going GaaS they also wanted to make it GaaS, and even F2P.

I think they have to look less to the market trends and focus instead on making a great game staying true to what made Halo great back in its first games.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Would people even want shitty spin offs from 343? They can barely make a mainline halo good.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
First idea they should pitch is better project management and PC optimization. Those small ass 6vs6 maps hammer the CPU worse than a battle royale.

Infinite was not a bad game but considering how much they spent and the way they hyped the slipstream engine, it was a disappointment.

7.5/10 campaign
4/10 MP

Reactions: flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
First idea they should pitch is better project management and PC optimization. Those small ass 6vs6 maps hammer the CPU worse than a battle royale.

Infinite was not a bad game but considering how much they spent and the way they hyped the slipstream engine, it was a disappointment.

7.5/10 campaign
4/10 MP
imo they should let ID make the next Halo. They should release it day-1 on Playstation.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Work with ID on the tech side. But anyway, I think halo should be put in the back burner for awhile. PS is not releasing more kill zone and resistance games. They knew when it was time to change.

This game was fun due to its gunplay but the open world was barebones, even the first borderlands did it better.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Axe the story and focus on balancing the multiplayer for competitive play.

I don’t understand why Halo has a story ppl care about. At best it should be in the background similar to Fortnite. It’s basic space opera garbagé. Just do away with the mode and emphasize Forge.