Report: XDefiant hits 300k concurrent players, attracting over 3 million unique users in two days

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
xdefiant-players.png

Ubisoft’s free-to-play title XDefiant achieved 1 million unique players within two and a half hours of its launch, sources have told Insider Gaming. At one point, half a million concurrent players were logged in to the game on launch day. Admittedly, that’s a lot of players who had to wait in the menu due to server issues. However, the problems were resolved around eight to ten hours after launch.

The milestone makes XDefiant Ubisoft’s fastest-ever game to reach 1 million unique players.

The numbers don’t end there, either. At the time of writing (48 hours after launch), the game has just over 3 million unique players and around 300,000 concurrent players across all platforms.

Source

Reactions: Yurinka

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
These are pretty good early numbers, they do have to get on top of some of the launch issues I hear.
We'll just have to see what kind of revenue the game can generate in the upcoming quarters to see if there's some future for the game. Also looking at what kind of pace the post-launch support/content comes out at.

Rainbow Six Siege was not very well received early on and it became what it is today through the years.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Anyone trying it?

Bad time to launch IMO, with tail end of Helldivers and now Destiny 2 Final Shape coming soon.
Between a rock and a hard place.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
People shouldn't delude themselves into thinking that this is a CoD Killer, CoD will be strong for a few more years, until Microsofr destroys it.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I was mixing this game up with CrossfireX. I was like didn't that fucking die.

I hope it does well for Ubisoft. Another weak publisher would be a nightmare for the industry.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

• According to a report from Insider Gaming, XDefiant reached 1 million unique players in its first two and a half hours.
  • The game surpassed 3 million users within 48 hours, attracting around 300k concurrent players across PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S.
  • On PC, XDefiant is available exclusively on the Ubisoft Connect platform, so there are no public metrics like in the case with other free-to-play live service titles available on Steam.
  • Tom Henderson also said XDefiant is now the fastest title in Ubisoft history to reach 1 million unique users.
  • Last year, Ubisoft noted the closed beta of XDefiant reached over 1 million players and “strong retention.” The publisher has yet to reveal the game’s launch figures.
  • “While mastering free-to-play is hard, and it is very important to remain prudent, recent developments are encouraging,” CEO Yves Guillemot said at the time.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
A bit too cartoony and gameshowy but as I’m fine tuning controls … it’s okay.

Considering what they’ve done with siege in the last decade…

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
after a week playing it I can say with confidence that while very fun, this game needs a lot of fine tuning before its the CoD killer ubisoft wants it to be.
Overall the game lacks balancing.
Some factions are overpowered,
Some levels expose one of the teams too much so they cant really get any objective progression.
Some skills are completelly useless in comparisson to others that are very overpowered.
I am pretty sure that some players I met were cheating but could not confirm due to the lack of a kill cam.
Progression is too slow and I dont doubt that Ubi will start selling XP boosts or straight up full unlocks soon.

But its not all bad
The faction system and different skills is really fun and can lead to a lot of different playstiles,
Some of the levels are on par if not better than some of the better CoD levels
Appart from the shitty season pass and its lackluster cosmetic rewards, pretty much all progression and unlocks is tied to gameplay, and challenges, so if you want to unlock a new weapon, attachment or character? just play the game and do what the challenge asks of you.
The only exception to this rule is the DeadSec faction which requires you to get 700.00 xp to unlock or buy it for 10$, feels scummy but gets a pass since you can unlock it through gameplay.

I like it, gonna keep playing but I really do hope they pay attention to the playerbase and give it some balancing and quality of life updates soon.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Ok ubi you might have something here.

Now just don't fuck it up.

Also add TDM then i might jump in.