YTD (Feb): PS5 1.88 m; NSW 1.25 m; X/S 0.55 m

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
US, UK, Japan, Mainland Europe

Mainland Europe : Hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

gnuDYxR.jpeg

OGg8ved.jpeg

UOtuwlg.jpeg

sneayrl.jpeg

FbY9jTX.jpeg

US: IB Estimates

Mainland Europe Jan : IB Estimates (Hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland)

Mainland Europe Feb : IB Estimates (Hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland)

UK Jan: IB Estimates

UK Feb: IB Estimates

Japan : Gematsu (Famitsu Sales)

*Credit to gaf

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not enough, Xbox shouldn't be selling anything and PlayStation should be selling better.

It's pretty insane to me that for every 7 or 8 regular people buying a PS5 there is a complete idiot buying a Series X and a complete lunatic buying a Series S.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Switch has that Japan stronghold propping them up. Pretty useless for western devs.

Second the sentiment that this is still too much for Xbox. Needs to be about a third of that for me to be satisfied.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Xbox sold almost as much in the UK, as it did in the whole of mainland Europe. For reference the populations are:

65 million people in UK
250-300 million people in mainland Europe.

Xbox is selling 20% (very rough math) of the rate of the uk?

How does the PS5 compare YoY?

I would ask for PC numbers but it's a dead platform so I won't bother

24 Jun 2022
Over 3.4:1 difference between PS and Xbox. Microsoft "monopoly" at full effect!

image.png

Why are you still going on about a monopoly?

Also it (the ABK stuff) was never about a monopoly, but anticompetitive practices that could lead to an (illegal) monopoly. Practices MS seemingly wanted to do going by the leaked internal emails and memos (including ones they uploaded themselves incorrectly).

It's just that Xbox console sales are SO bad globally that higher-ups in the company finally looked around and said the console can't be the priority in gaming acquisitions costing over $80 billion combined. Xbox consoles as the priority simply would never give them returns in profit in 3+ decades.

But the intent of arguably anticompetitive practices leveraging financial resources of other parts of the company built off of arguable monopolies in other parts of the tech market from prior years, was 100% there. You're being silly to pretend otherwise or to think it was about a gaming (illegal) monopoly by Microsoft outright.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Well, that's good in comparison to Xbox and Switch but ps5 needs to sell a lot more to hit a respectable number when lined up against targets. (Even at a reduced 21 million)

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Also it (the ABK stuff) was never about a monopoly, but anticompetitive practices that could lead to an (illegal) monopoly. Practices MS seemingly wanted to do going by the leaked internal emails and memos (including ones they uploaded themselves incorrectly).

It's just that Xbox console sales are SO bad globally that higher-ups in the company finally looked around and said the console can't be the priority in gaming acquisitions costing over $80 billion combined. Xbox consoles as the priority simply would never give them returns in profit in 3+ decades.

But the intent of arguably anticompetitive practices leveraging financial resources of other parts of the company built off of arguable monopolies in other parts of the tech market from prior years, was 100% there. You're being silly to pretend otherwise or to think it was about a gaming (illegal) monopoly by Microsoft outright.
Yep. Yurinka has always tried to present this reductively. If the monopoly would've happened overnight with the purchase of ABK, it would've been blocked immediately because it would've been obvious to even the most bought of judges like Corley that this was a detrimental outcome to competition. Regulators were thinking further ahead, as they should, but the stupid public, swayed like Yurinka was, couldn't see past their own noses.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Xbox sold almost as much in the UK, as it did in the whole of mainland Europe. For reference the populations are:

65 million people in UK
250-300 million people in mainland Europe.

Xbox is selling 20% (very rough math) of the rate of the uk?

How does the PS5 compare YoY?

I would ask for PC numbers but it's a dead platform so I won't bother
Thts crazy.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yep. Yurinka has always tried to present this reductively. If the monopoly would've happened overnight with the purchase of ABK, it would've been blocked immediately because it would've been obvious to even the most bought of judges like Corley that this was a detrimental outcome to competition. Regulators were thinking further ahead, as they should, but the stupid public, swayed like Yurinka was, couldn't see past their own noses.
Your mistake is thinking that anyone cared about what would happens to competition. Regulators were set up to not have enought power to stop a company like MS from having their way.

MS/Xbox was just too stupid to realize that even spending all that money to buy Bethesda/Activsion/Blizzard wouldn't change things for them. Now they are stuck with a bunch of decadent publishers and studios, only compounding the problems they already had.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm just joking about gaming flatearther people who back in the time claimed MS had a monopoly. MS had a tiny portion of the console market and even less of the total gaming market. Acquiring ABK they got another small part, but are miles ahead from having a monopoly or having a power position to take monopolistic actions such as blocking others from publishing games or making consoles.

It's even more clear now: MS not only will publish CoD everywhere, but even will do so with their own XGS games. Because to make Zenimax and ABK full console exclusive would be even a more suicidal strategy than the one they already had.

A theory allmost as stupid and wrong as people now claiming that Sony is doomed because of GaaS and PC ports. When there is absolutely not a single evidence of this and all the related evidence points to the opposite.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm just joking about people who back in the time claimed MS had a monopoly. MS had a tiny portion of the console market and even less of the total gaming market. Acquiring ABK they got another small part, but are miles ahead from having a monopoly or having a power position to take monopolistic actions such as blocking others from publishing games or making consoles.

A theory allmost as stupid and wrong as people now claiming that Sony is doomed because of GaaS and PC ports.
I knew my boy would redeem himself "umbasa"