Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom Is Japan's 7th Biggest Game Launch Of All Time

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If you combine Square, Enix and S-E into one, there's only 4 companies on that list... and if you include TPC as part of "Nintendo" (which you should, since they own >50 percent of it) then there's only three franchises on there that aren't Nintendo. Though they make up half of the list between them.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The list is dominated by Nintendo

TBH Im surprised. I thought there would be more under Nintendo. Not exactly a domination if its just over 50% and half of that 60% being Pokemon games. Square has more titles than Nintendo 1st party

12/20 Games Nintendo
6/20 Pokemon Games
4/20 Monster Hunter games
8/20 is Square Enix Games which is impressive.
8/20 Playstation Games

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddasar

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I was out running errands today and heard people talking about Zelda TotK and how they had built certain things to solve certain situations. I have never heard people openly discussing video games this way personally. I mean I'm sure it happens but I was amused. I also have several friends playing it who are telling me they are completely hooked on it.

Seems like the game is huge, but I think it's deservedly so. It's incredible.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Zelda is being name dropped everywhere. This might reach cultural phenomenon status. Super impressive for a sequel.

It’s a much better game than botw and I’ve played a shit ton and still only scratched the surface.

I think it might surpass botw sales wise now. That’s a huge milestone but the game is monstrous enough I think we’ll be obsessed for a long while.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
So basically a list of Nintendo, Square Enix and Capcom games.

Sony you know what to do if you want a piece of the Japanese pie.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I know not everyone likes Schreier (including myself sometimes) but he is so right on with this tweet.

The game is a complete masterpiece and is maybe the most impressive game I’ve ever seen. It’s going to be remembered for ages to come. Though I disagree with him on the slipping when it’s raining. That’s totally natural, plus there are ways around it … more gameplay he hasn’t discovered. 😉

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I know not everyone likes Schreier (including myself sometimes) but he is so right on with this tweet.

The game is a complete masterpiece and is maybe the most impressive game I’ve ever seen. It’s going to be remembered for ages to come. Though I disagree with him on the slipping when it’s raining. That’s totally natural, plus there are ways around it … more gameplay he hasn’t discovered. 😉

is it the building mechanics that are making people go gaga? i plan on getting it after finishing botw but i'm not seeing the major leaps besides that.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
is it the building mechanics that are making people go gaga? i plan on getting it after finishing botw but i'm not seeing the major leaps besides that.
It's hard to put into words.

The scope, the mechanics, the creativity, the freedom, the design, the world, the way it all works together, the feeling of liveliness, both enemies and NPCs. It's just incredible and you have to play it to understand IMO. I completely understand now why it's the highest rated game of all time on open critic. It deserves the spot.

It IS a major leap IMO. Which is shocking because I didn't expect anything close to the experience I am getting right now. I think I'm getting close to being able to finish it if I want. I've been playing it almost nonstop outside of work hours since release which is silly for me, as I usually can't stand to play games more than 1 hour at a time without wanting to get up and do something else these days. But I have to force myself to stop playing this one it is so good.

I'm actually holding my tongue a little bit because I've been seeing plenty of hate from people who haven't played the game or don't like Switch (not here necessarily, just around in general). I'll just say I think it's a crowning achievement in interactive gaming that will be hard to beat in the foreseeable future.

I'll end this post with this quote I saw on MetaCritic from "Atomic" (not familiar with them aside from this):

It makes my heart happy to tell you that The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is one of the best video games of all time, just as Breath of the Wild was in 2017 and will continue to be. The mastery that the Japanese company shows with this product makes even today's super AAAs feel like bland and empty experiences that aren't worth it. On the one hand, I'm worried about the crater that this game is going to leave and how everything we touch afterward feels tasteless, but at the same time, I'm glad that even with dozens of hours on me, I still feel like I'm There is still a lot to discover and experience, especially now that everyone will be able to fully enter. And yes, there is a clear Game of the Year winner. The discussion and contention is over.

I agree 100% with what this person is saying here and ... I feel like he might even be understating it a bit. Aside from technically great graphics I am not even sure what I have to really look forward to from other creators now. Nothing is going to be fulfilling like this game for a long, long time.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They are somewhat limited, but what isn't limited is what you are allowed to do with them. Cheese boss encounters? Fine. Go anywhere? Fine. Make a dick? Fine. Drive around Hyrule in a bus, or a mech, or a plane, or a giant wheel, or helipcopter, or whatever? Fine. It takes the building mechanics and puts them into a real game, a good game, but doesn't make the game all about building stuff, which makes it all the sweeter.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's hard to put into words.

The scope, the mechanics, the creativity, the freedom, the design, the world, the way it all works together, the feeling of liveliness, both enemies and NPCs. It's just incredible and you have to play it to understand IMO. I completely understand now why it's the highest rated game of all time on open critic. It deserves the spot.

It IS a major leap IMO. Which is shocking because I didn't expect anything close to the experience I am getting right now. I think I'm getting close to being able to finish it if I want. I've been playing it almost nonstop outside of work hours since release which is silly for me, as I usually can't stand to play games more than 1 hour at a time without wanting to get up and do something else these days. But I have to force myself to stop playing this one it is so good.

I'm actually holding my tongue a little bit because I've been seeing plenty of hate from people who haven't played the game or don't like Switch (not here necessarily, just around in general). I'll just say I think it's a crowning achievement in interactive gaming that will be hard to beat in the foreseeable future.

I'll end this post with this quote I saw on MetaCritic from "Atomic" (not familiar with them aside from this):

I agree 100% with what this person is saying here and ... I feel like he might even be understating it a bit. Aside from technically great graphics I am not even sure what I have to really look forward to from other creators now. Nothing is going to be fulfilling like this game for a long, long time.
Damn, that's some very high praise. Might really have to pick up a switch 2 for this game

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Damn, that's some very high praise. Might really have to pick up a switch 2 for this game
Go read the praise from the sites giving it perfect scores. At this point I agree with all of it.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Go read the praise from the sites giving it perfect scores. At this point I agree with all of it.
Nah I'd rather trust the words of forum dwellers that I know of. Can't trust people who get review codes for free, even if I end up agreeing.

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
Japan, put FF16 on the map again, don't bring dishonor to your families.
I don't think the Ps5 installbase is big enough for that. Ff16 would need to sell a copy to at least half the possessors of a Ps5 in its launch week to just enter that list...

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't think the Ps5 installbase is big enough for that. Ff16 would need to sell a copy to at least half the possessors of a Ps5 in its launch week to just enter that list...
Did i stutter? Dishonor awaits

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
FF16 wont even do half of this. Forget lifetime sales… TotK will obliterate it. No contest.