anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Compared to Zen 4 launch:
$50 discount on the 12- and 16-core parts
$40 discount on the 8-core part
$20 discount on the 6-core part

honestly it could have been better, but any discount is okay. I was honestly expecting a bigger discount on the 6- and 12-core parts, since 6 cores is passe and the 12-core CPUs are traditionally low demand products. I was expecting $249/$349/$449/$599... but given how bad Intel is sucking I guess they figured they could juice a few more dollars out of every part. meh. Will wait for x3d

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Of course reviewers will be disappointed.

AMD announced n their presentations an increased in performance way bigger than previous generations shift.
The IPC gain is way lower than what announced... and the process node is the same as Zen4 that give no room for better clocks or increase in core count.

That is why AMD is launching these with price reduction compared with Zen 4.

• Informative
Reactions: Entropi

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Another point....

In some multi-threading workload it performance lower than Zen 4 even with higher clock.
And that includes games.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Reviewers aren’t impressed

Yeah Zen 5 looking like a bit of a flop. They seem to be having a lot of issues at launch too, which is disappointing. They should have pushed the launch back to work on ironing things out.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Wow. Looks like they went really conservative on the power limits to great detriment as there is a ton of overclocking headroom. Dude got +35% perf by unlocking power limits and tuning the memory

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I hope PS6 doesn't end up being another PS4 (cpu performance, of course, the games were awesome)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I hope PS6 doesn't end up being another PS4 (cpu performance, of course, the games were awesome)

I find these comments a bit weird.
Zen 5 is still Zen Arch and maybe that is the reason the improvements are not that good... Zen Arch is already reaching it limits.

Maybe it is time to AMD work in a new Arch... the sucessor of Zen.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think people are overreacting because AMD hobbled the 6 and 8 core chips out of the gate with an unrealistically low TDP. I think it's still a 10-15% gen on gen improvement which lines up with going from TSMC 5->4nm. They also did a lot of messing around with the architecture so I expect zen 6 to be a zen 3 type uplift

YeezyDude

Veteran
17 Jun 2024
Denmark
I think people are overreacting because AMD hobbled the 6 and 8 core chips out of the gate with an unrealistically low TDP. I think it's still a 10-15% gen on gen improvement which lines up with going from TSMC 5->4nm. They also did a lot of messing around with the architecture so I expect zen 6 to be a zen 3 type uplift
Exactly... I'm not worried about Zen 6 etc. as I do expect AMD to make the CPU's coming after Zen 5 to be more like what everyone wants from them.